Where did you dive today?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just another Sunday...

[table 0 0 3]#|Location|Duration|Depth|Temp
411|Nieuwe Kerkweg|63 Minutes|17M/56Ft|14C/57F
412|Nieuwe Kerkweg|63 Minutes|10M/33Ft|15C/59F[/table]
So, where did you dive today? :)

Went to Tussan, Arild. In the environment protection zone of Kullaberg. Back to the roots so to speak, this is the place where I did my OW checkout dives. Been there afterwards but it's always a speciall feeling.

Had a great dive, witch I videotaped. Deepest dive there so far, 15.5meters. Great amount of life in the water.

This weekend I did a Rescue Diver course, and I learned a lot. It was challenging and fun. After the completion of the course, we took a Zodiac out to the middle of Colpoy's Bay, off Georgian Bay, and went for a dive on Gunderson Shoal, which comes up to 20 ft of the surface. Somewhere on the shoal, it is said, are some drowned, preserved trees that have been carbon dated to 7000 years old. They grew there when the lake levels were lower, I'm guessing an interglacial period.

Anyway, the visibility was just stunning, the water temps fluctuated from 33 to 37 degrees (colder bottom lake water coming up over the shoal) and both pairs of divers did 25 min dives. We didn't see any tree stumps, but there were lots of limestone steps going down into the depths. Love to go back.

After the dive, we took a tour out to a nearby island, and found a dive site for future consideration. The water was so blue and clear it was unreal.

After my failed attempt to dive at Glendale several weeks ago. I tried again on Wednesday May 20. By following different driving directions my buddy and I were able to drive to the dive site without bumping into another closed road. Once again my buddy rented one of the biggest tanks available at the local dive shop (Whidbey Island Dive Center) because I was planning to use his HP 100 steel tank.

We wanted to celebrate my 100th dive with a dive that had a max. depth of 100ftSW. Glendale is the only deep dive site reachable from shore known to us on Whidbey Island. There we would have been able to dive to our planned depth of 100ftSW without having to worry too much about currents.

Glendale will never make it to the list of top ten Puget Sound diving destinations. The bottom of cobblestones gently slopes down to a depth of about 12 ftSW. Then it turns into sand, silt and mud and then VOILA! Without any warnings it drops down at an angle that to me seemed steeper than 45 degrees and keeps going down to 100ftSW and beyond to a seductive soft darkness. The steep slope was scarred with longitudinal trenches as if underwater bottom-slides occurred sometime in the past.

Every time I mentioned to the owner of the local dive shop my interest in diving at Glendale he always ended up rolling his eyes in disbelief. Now I understand why. Kelp bed, bottle field, reef of any kind or a simple rock are nowhere to be seen at this site. The bottom is just a vast layer of fine sediments ready to turn into a huge cloud and reduce the visibility, already pretty poor, to zero by careless kicking.

Somehow we got lucky and saw a log half buried in the mud where three copper rock fish took refuge in their desperate attempt to hide from predators. Nobody came to visit us: no gray whales, six gill sharks, spiny dogfish, not even a rat fish swam by or a sea pen popped up its orange feathery head from the mud.

Who on earth wants to dive in such an unappealing and boring marine environment? I guess recreational divers like me who wants to practice diving deeper than 60 ft in a relatively safe location. A marine biologist obsessed with flat fish, a photographer who is interested in publishing a book about the secret life of the snake prickleback (an insipid looking fish that reaches a maximum length of 20 inches) or a UFO fanatic who wants to demonstrates that aliens made those underwater trenches.

For me the dive was a trip in outer space to a distant planet that was recovering from a catastrophic event and was populated by small hidden creatures. Tens and tens of little eyes were watching our moves without us knowing it. Crabs would all of a sudden emerge from the mud and run like madmen, other indefinable animals would sprint like rockets leaving a streak of sediment behind them as soon we got to close to them. A fully grown snake prickleback was sitting on top of a rock sole as if the two were best buddies. For the first time we were able to have a close look at a white spotted greenling.

At a depth of 100ftSW my breathing was as smooth as that apparently lifeless slope. As far I can tell I did not get narced like those crabs. A sense of peace enveloped me but did not make me forget to keep checking my SPG. When I reached 1750 PSI we turned back and the last memorable encounter was a sad one: a half-eaten flounder with its spine sticking out of teeth-marked body. It was still alive and tried to swim away.:depressed:

We expected a current less than 1 kt but at depth there was none. It picked up a little on the way back in shallow water. Along the steep slope organic material was rolling down like rocks falling from a mountain gully. Not sure whether for gravity or a downward current. We surfaced while a bunch of bald eagles was having a party on a private section of the beach. I had 750PSI left in my tank.:)

Good night

Last edited:
Today,
I'm in Provo, in TCI. The diving outside the bay and around the NW point has been great with visibility about 100FT. In Grace bay it has been lacking visibility. Oh well one more day and back home.

I did two dives on the Cape Breton, in Nanaimo, British Columbia today ... as part of a wreck penetration class. Mostly today's dives were line work and learning how to "scout" a wreck using one that's been rather well scouted. First dive was max depth 89 fsw, 58 minutes. Second dive was max depth 96 fsw, 51 minutes.

Two more planned for tomorrow on the HMCS Sasketchewan ... and then on Monday one long exploration of the inside of the Breton ... coincidentally that one will be dive #2300 for me ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

#2300!!!???!!:shocked2: Are you not tired of diving yet? You must have seen it all!:wink:

For Advanced Trimix course in Cavalaire near from Saint-Tropez (France)

1. 16th of May, Ramon Wreck, 21 meters/69 feet, 17-18C/62-64F, 69 minutes

ramon.jpg

Picture from www.plongeecavalaire.com

2. 17th of May, Togo Wreck, 54 meters/179 feet, 15-18C/59-64F, 60 minutes

TOGO_0104.jpg

Picture from www.plongeecavalaire.com

3. 18th of May, Charlotte Wall, 84 meters/277 feet, 13-17C/55-62F, 67 minutes

4. 19th of May, Meme Wall, 90 meters/298 feet, 13-17C/55-62F, 68 minutes

5. 20th of May, Festival Wall, 101 meters/332 feet, 13-17C/55-62F, 69 minutes

#2300!!!???!!:shocked2: Are you not tired of diving yet? You must have seen it all!:wink:

WHY:confused:

Dive 4000 made early last year.:D
Took me 29 years.:rofl3:
Never bored,still learning on every dive.:wink:
There's something new to see or do on every dive.

Have fun.:D

well, not today, but monday:

Panama City Beach, FL

Well, at long last I made it out again. Work has required over time, weather has been bad, extra expenses cropped up to steal my dive money. But at last on Memorial Day, it all clicked & I managed to run down to PCB for a 2 tank inshore trip.

Captain Pat had some experienced divers as well as some newbies. This was just a 2 tank inshore, Black Bart & Span 14 trip. After the heavy seas last week, we worried about having enough viz to dive. Turned out to be pretty good.

The divers consisted on myself, my friend Jim and 9 people we'd never met before. The seas were a brutal 1 foot, hard to see how we all survived...

First drop was on the Bart. As we knew the wreck & had large tanks with lots of gas & were hunting, we hit the water while the deckhand briefed the others. I was first down the line. Jumped in, no current. Loaded my gun, went down the line. Pretty good viz, actually. A lot of particulate in the water, but from 15 feet I could see the deck at 65 below me.

I reached the deck & went over the side. Plan was to circle her once, looking for flounder. I went about 5 feet, looked up & was starting at an 8 ft shark in front of me. Not sure of the species. I think bull, other guy thinks dusky. When I got home I checked my fish book & visually, the main difference is the location of the dorsal fin relative to the pectorals, so I still don't know.

But we were all agreed, that was a solid 8' shark. I had it just past my finger tips several times during the dive, it was longer than me plus fins. very thick through the body at the dorsal fin. I don't think my finger tips would touch if I wrapped my arms around it.

Never did find a flounder, nor see any other shootable fish. But the vis was good, the shark was cool & the water 75 degrees. Very nice dive.

Second drop was on span 14. There were jewfish on the site. I thought 2, but am now not so sure. It seemed to me that the markings varied. I only saw 2 at a time, but based on comments from others & my thoughts of the markings there may have been 4 in all. They ranged from about 150 to 400 pounds or so. Always enjoy seeing them.

I did see a cuda, but had no shot. I bailed on fish & went looking for bugs. Ended up with 3 shovelnose lobsters from the span. Vis and temp as the same as on the Bart, again a very nice dive.

I wanted to get a couple of tanks in prior to our night dive on the 6th & this trip served that purpose nicely.

WHY:confused:

Dive 4000 made early last year.:D
Took me 29 years.:rofl3:
Never bored,still learning on every dive.:wink:
There's something new to see or do on every dive.

Have fun.:D

So 2,300x$6.5= $14,950
4,000x$6.5= $26,000
(Assuming that all these dives were on air)

I will never reach those numbers unless I win the lottery!:depressed:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom