Where did you dive today?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My buddy and I got everything ready: we rented the biggest Aluminum tank that was available at the local dive shop, calculated Rock Bottom for a max. depth of 100 ft, figured out a dive plan and have arguments about it, packed food, carried soup in a thermos and hot water in a cooler etc. etc.

Our destination was the obscure dive site called Glendale known only, probabily, to the local dive shop owner and few other Whidbey Island divers. It is a site for a muck dive or deep water training.

We drove all the way to the southern part of the island along Glendale road with everything figured out in our heads and all the gear and extras packed in our little Honda Civic just to drive into a sign that told us that the road was closed. All at sudden the memory of local paper article about a flood near Glendale began to emerge. A while ago a beaver had built a damn upstream a small creek that used to flow under the road. Then the beaver got run over by a car and unfortunately it did not survive the impact. The dam got neglected, rain fell and the dam burst. The water and debris washed out the road like it was a pile of sand. We got out the car and walked to the washed out stretch of the road to see it with our naked eyes full of curiosity. We could not believe the size of the damage!:shakehead:

GlendaleRoad.jpg

Then we tried to drive to Glendale from another road but it took us back again on the Glendale road that was closed. At that point, not being very familiar with the roads in that southern area of the island, we gave up. There was no doubt that we had to change our plan. We decided to drive back north to Langley. We would explore the bottom at Langley Marina beyond the floating dock to see if we could reach a depth of 100ft.

At the marina parking lot we were assembling the gear when a friendly rabbit hopped up to our car where, apparently, the grass was greener.

LangleyRabbit.jpg

My buddy did not pass out while handling and lifting up to his shoulder the 120 (I think) tank without any help. While surface swimming to the floating dock pandemonium broke out in the air above the other docks near shore. A bold eagle appeared flapping its mighty wings out of the blue holding something between its treacherous talons. A helpless pigeon chased the eagle for a short while until it realized that that killing machine was unstoppable. I figure that the eagle must have snatched either a chick or a distracted adult. It was the first time that I saw that a bald eagle had actually hunted a live animal rather than scavenging a dead one.

At the floating dock we revised our dive plan again and descended. The visibility was pretty poor at the surface but improved at about 25ft. It was after 8pm and there was no current to speak of. We started swimming out. At first it was a bit disorientating because the bottom slopes down very gently and if we did not navigate with a compass we would have probably got lost in less than a minute.

A lot of divers think that a muck dive is boring (including my buddy). I think it is a different kind of dive where marine animals are not so much in 'your face' like in a reef. You really have to make more of an effort to sharpen your eyes and look carefully. After leaving eelgrass and sea lettuce beds behind us swimming further down was like floating above an underwater moon. While the surface of the moon is sterile, the bottom at Langley Marina was lazily crowded with life.

Whenever I turned I could see buried crabs, different species of flat fish, some buried some fully exposed, snake pricklebacks, rough back sculpins and also managed to see one white sea pen and a sea slug that I have never seen before:the Striped Nudibranch. It was not exactly diving with grey whales or six gill sharks but it was pretty amazing to see so much of such 'small-scale' life in that dark, by then, underwater desert. When we reached a depth of about 80 ft. it became clear that if we wanted to get to 100ft and have enough air to go back not even 'digging the bottom with a shovel' would have helped us (to put it in my buddy's words).

So we turned back. Along the way we met a red octopus with an injured arm. It was very pretty, its whole body was really bright red! Unfortunately our camera craped on us earlier on (those bloody buttons in the housing! I bet they were stuck again!). So we were unable to take any pictures of the little ÁÕenatcled fellow who couldnÃÕ wait to run away from our bright lights.

We had enough air left to swim all the way back to the same spot on the beach that was our entry point navigating with the much helpful compass. In the thick soup of phytoplankton that was floating at less than 10 ft we were surrounded by fluorescents little aquatic lanterns: cat's eye and gooseberry jellies.:)

First boat dive of the season, Tobermory.

Forest City wreck, 134 ft, amazing viz 70 ft, 38F temperature, then over to the Niagara II wreck, 79 ft viz still amazing, one degree colder at 37F.

The water was flat as a pancake and it was a beautiful sunny day. Fabulous viz and great wrecks, what Tobermory diving is all about.

This being the first weekend in the charter boat season, there were a few folks on board who've been diving for many years and the dive stories were great.

Last edited:
Just an average weekend... :)

[table 0 0 3]#|Location|Duration|Depth|Temp
403|Bussloo|62 Minutes|9M/30Ft|10C/50F
404|Nieuw Gat van Roelofs|47 Minutes|12M/39Ft|6C/43F
405|Boomgaard|57 Minutes|7M/23Ft|9C/48F
406|De Beldert|54 Minutes|16M/52Ft|6C/43F
407|Gat van Cortenoever|60 Minutes|5M/16Ft|16C/61F[/table]
So, where did you dive today? :)

What better way to start a four day weekend... :)

408|Scharendijke II|64 Minutes|13M/43Ft|14C/57F
409|Scharendijke II|57 Minutes|7M/23Ft|14C/57F[/table]

What better way to start a four day weekend... :)

408|Scharendijke II|64 Minutes|13M/43Ft|14C/57F
409|Scharendijke II|57 Minutes|7M/23Ft|14C/57F[/table]

Did two dives at 'Grotviks Harbour', both 60 minutes long and close to 8 meters depth.

Checked my home-build videocamera-housing on the first dive and filmed on the second. But the camera batteries were out cold so it shut down when we walked towards the water...

But, a great day of diving.

Time for a night dive...

410|Vinkeveense plassen|62 Minutes|21M/69Ft|6C/43F[/table]

I did two dives on the Cape Breton, in Nanaimo, British Columbia today ... as part of a wreck penetration class. Mostly today's dives were line work and learning how to "scout" a wreck using one that's been rather well scouted. First dive was max depth 89 fsw, 58 minutes. Second dive was max depth 96 fsw, 51 minutes.

Two more planned for tomorrow on the HMCS Sasketchewan ... and then on Monday one long exploration of the inside of the Breton ... coincidentally that one will be dive #2300 for me ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

For my first dives today, (for the PADI Cert), I dove Maunawili Bay in Hawaii Kai, Oahu. Very calm seas, nearly unlimited vis, 79 degree water temp. A great day! More tomorrow and monday!

I really need to get an underwater case for my Nikon D40x. How can i dive and not take pix of the beauty???:dork2:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom