Where did you dive today?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flew a 3 knot current at Cozumel today - Villa Blanca. Kept falling behind just for the joy of catching up. MANY lobsters standing in their doorways, sharks cruising, big turtles defying the current, and I dropped over a cut and came face-to-face with a pipe horse. Beautiful!

Not nearly as exciting as Cozumel, but the visibility at Loch Low Minn was exemplary today. Lots of catfish and bass, but no paddlefish (they must have been hiding from us, others saw them).

Dived in a place called Agia Pelagia in Crete-Greece. Not many fish around here,but a grouper made its appearance together with some really small and rare-coloured nudibranches... Visibility was 20+meters and the depth was 20meters/65.6 feet. The weather conditions were very good and we enjoyed a 53 min dive

I made my first official dive as a certified diver (yipee! :D) this morning at Old Orchard Beach in Rockport, MA. It was just about low tide so we didn't get much below 20ft (23ft max) so we hunted around in the rocks. There were a TON of lobsters, but no keepers. I grabbed two that were just *thismuch* too small, so none for me. Viz was okay, but not great, at about 15ft. We heard reports of great whites off of Chatham, but the closest we saw up here was a little skate on the way back to shore.

Cozumel - Palancar Cuevas y Paso de Cedral Shallow. Not as much current but fun and beautiful. Hung beside a big old loggerhead while he rested from the current. Plenty of nurse sharks today...

Congrats Hypno-toad!!

Had to decide-surf or dive...hmmm. Went for the surf @ Bolsa Chica and had a great time. 2-3 ft and racy lefts and rights. Heard that the vis. @ Old Marineland was 10-20 ft. Guess I blew that one!

Thank you! It felt AMAZING to actually just go dive! I can't wait for the next one! :dork2:

Good to hear. Then you might want to know that you actually can't wait for the NEXT TWO THOUSAND!!!!
:crafty:

Horn Pond, Acton Maine/ Wakefield NH

This pond is on the border between Maine and NH with the border bisecting the length of the pond. The shoreline showed lots of granite boulders making it a promising dive. My wife in particular is fond of UW boulders. They make great fish spotting locations.

So this ended up being a solo exploration dive on a quiet Sunday morning. I ended up crossing the lake into NH, running the far shore slope south, crossing back to Maine and running north along the shore slope north to the entry point. Run Time 130 minutes, 95 CF or air, Average depth 20', max depth 31.

Other than being a 1.5+ mile tour de Force the dive was a dud. The lake seems fairly immaculate with very few bottles or cans and there wasn't a golf ball to be found. Other than an occasional sunken tree the bottom was pretty flat. Past 18 feet the light plant growth gives way to a silty moonscape. At 28 feet and a few thermoclines latter the silty bottom becomes a fluidized bed of hazy murk with no apparent top. Visibility was consistently 20+ feet making for nice viewing, if there has been much to see. I did meet up with a few schools of fish as well as several keepers. An American Eel on a stony ridge showed me his bravest face. Boat traffic was limited. I do not know of a public launch on this body of water so those there have an interest in the place.

It's a place to get wet but we have others that offer more to see & find.

Friday at Colony Beach and Saturday at Ships Cove were far more stimulating.

Tomorrow night it's Kettle Cove to celebrate the solstice.

Pete

Dove Crater Lake, deepest lake in North America, two days ago.

This was my fourth working dive in the lake. The park operator (concessionaire) has three tour boats that take tourists out on the lake. They tie up to big bouys in Cleetwood Cove (at the end of the only path down to the lake from the rim). The park used to leave the bouys floating over the winter but kept losing them in storms.

So now every Fall they want someone to come out, unshackle their three big buoys, and lay out the big chains they're attached to (not just drop them eighty feet in a heap).

Then in late Spring they need someone to lift the chains (about 150 pounds of lift bag does it) and reattach the bouys.

Viz outstanding (it's one of the clearest lakes in the world), temps around 37F this time.

Picture taken on the surface is on my profile page. Note the great color of the water--it's really an amazing pure blue.

-Bryan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom