Where did you solo dive today?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did my two deepest solo dives this week ... 171 and 163 fsw, respectively. ...
... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Grateful Diver,

Really like your photos!

Question about how you did this solo dive: This was a mix dive, correct? What kind of profile? With or without a scooter? Independent doubles? Did you carry two bottles of the same deco gas (one an independent back-up), and do overboard oxygen, with a plan to deco entirely using the carried deco gas in case you couldn't make it back to the overboard oxygen?

I've been soloing almost exclusively for a bit more than ten years now and lately have been thinking about extending my solo range to ~175 fsw for a ~20 min BT, so I'm interested in how others do this type of dive. Please PM me if this is the wrong place to write these details. (I didn't see a trip report on your site.)

Thanks,

Ronald

I don't mind sharing the details ...

Manifolded doubles, double 119's filled with 21/35, one deco bottle ... EAN50. I limited my depth and time to the point that if I lost a post, I'd have adequate gas to make it to deco depth on the other, after isolating the post. If I lost deco gas, I'd have adequate back gas to deco on back gas.

Dive profile was planned at max depth of 170 for max time of 20 minutes, ascend to 70 fsw by 35 minutes, switch to deco gas and ascend to 20 fsw by 50 minutes ... then play at 20 fsw till I basically got bored or cold. It's a wall ... there's interesting stuff to see all the way to the surface. Dive 1 was 73 minutes.

I cut dive 2 short due to a leak in my drysuit ... noticed my butt getting wet at around 15 minutes into the dive and began my ascent about a minute later. So the total dive was only 57 minutes.

Basically, the plan is to keep the bottom time short enough to do what you went down there for (in my case, take some gorgonian pictures), and if nothing goes wrong, come up with roughly half the gas you went down with. Had I a buddy, both of these dives would've been much longer, and included a second deco bottle of O2. But for solo, shorter and simpler is better ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Well I'm just back from a long weekend at my place in Tobermory. It was pretty windy there on the weekend, but I managed to get a couple in on my favorite wrecks, the Forest City (155) and Arabia (105). The water was very warm at the bottom... 50F on the Arabia, and about 45 on the FC so I took my time and racked up some bottom time. This time of year affords some great diving...

We had frost Saturday night though... :(

Snuck up for a day's diving at Toby, saw a salmon at the Lighthouse. Temp was 53F at 74 ft. There was one other solo diver and we both went different directions, it was kind of funny.

It's that time of year again. I didn't expect it quite this soon, but I think I'll be doing a lot of solo diving over the next couple months. On Sunday someone mentioned to me that they'd seen some lumpsuckers in an eel grass bed at my local mudhole. Lumpsuckers are these fish that look like a tiny, colored golf ball with spiny fins and tail ... in fact, that's one in my avatar. They're primarily nocturnal, and the best chance of finding them is at night. So I had to go see for myself.

I arrived at the dive site just as the sun was setting over the Olympic mountains. Getting dressed, I sat on my tailgate and enjoyed the sunset, then geared up and headed to the water as dusk turned to dark.

Entering the water, I pulled on my fins, slipped below the surface, and started kicking downslope ... destination, the eel grass beds that start just a few feet below the low tide mark. The first thing I noticed was that the water was moving along at a surprising pace. Hmmm ... familiarity breeds complacency sometimes ... despite the fact that I've got maybe 300 dives here, I really should start paying attention to the tidal exchanges ... turns out I caught it on a max ebb. No big whoop, except that it's hard to find little critters in the eel grass when it's waving around furiously in the current. It wasn't hard, though, to spot the hooded nudibranchs feeding on the bits of plankton that were covering every available surface down there ... there were thousands of them. Glowing a translucent white in the beam of my light, the sight of thousands of undulating slugs clinging to eel grass waving around in the current was almost dizzying ... but utterly fascinating to watch. Facing into the current, I was able to get a few decent pictures ... and then I let the current carry me along as I searched the eel grass for my prize. At about 20 minutes into the dive I found one ... about the size of a cough drop, colored green, gray and black. Cute little bugger. Getting pictures was hard, between the fact that he was stuck to a piece of grass that was constantly moving and the fact that it was hard for me to hold position in the current. But I snapped off a few (mostly out of focus) and continued on my way, hoping to find more. I didn't ... but I did find several other intersting critters before ending the dive at 62 minutes, with a max depth of 14 feet.

This marks the beginning of my favorite time of the year to dive here. I love night diving, but my day typically begins at 3:30 AM, which makes night diving difficult during the months when darkness comes late. These eel grass beds are a nursery this time of year, and I expect I'll be doing 40 or 50 dives here between now and about January ... most of them solo. Later this evening ... when I have a chance to download my camera ... I hope to have a couple pictures to share ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

... they'd seen some lumpsuckers in an eel grass bed at my local mudhole.

Damn, that must sound appealing to a non-diver reading this!

I'll look forward to seeing your photos as always!

Here ya go, Stoo ...

lumpsucker ...

IMG_8571.jpg

hooded nudibranchs ...

IMG_8562.jpg

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I popped off a couple of dives on Saturday on my two favourite sites... The Forest City (155') and the Arabia (110'). I had a bit of a nasty free-flow at about 125' on the Forest City, which I suspect may have been caused by a bit of ice from my tank valve being blown through the first stage. It happened early in the dive so I just headed up but my reg reverted back to it's normal happy state at about 20'. I had a bit of a chat with my buddy... he was watching the boat... but then went back down and all was right in the world.

My second dive on the Arabia was uneventful with about 70' visibility...

Air temp was about -1C (30F) and the water was a balmy 8C (46F). There was a fair bit of snow on the way to Tobermory, so our season is coming to the end. Once the snow plows fill the ramp in, I start thinking of warm water. I have plans for Turneffe and Utila this winter, but a few more dives here first! :D

Sweet... Cute little Bugger. How big are these things?

They range from about the size of a common house fly to a bit smaller than a ping-pong ball. The one in that picture was on the low end of that range.

Yesterday I was back out at my local mudhole. I'm heading off on a diving trip on Thursday, and spent most of the week-end servicing my regs and patching up holes in my drysuit. So yesterday afternoon I figured it'd be a good idea to test this stuff, since I'll be taking it deep (180+ feet) on Friday.

Spent a nice hour all alone ... and I do mean alone ... there wasn't another diver at the site. Probably because it was snowing ... but once underwater, who cares?

Lovely dive ... great vis, and calm conditions ... did 57 minutes to a max depth of about 92 fsw. Would've stayed out a while longer, but I missed one of the holes in the drysuit and was starting to get a bit chilly ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom