Where did you solo dive today?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As my gear is kinda busy being tested and serviced at the moment I havent been able to dive since the 28th because the "local" dive shop is 2 hrs from here and Ive been working way too much (as usual). Im coping with it knowing that I leave for two weeks of diving in the red sea the 11th of june. I do want to get a dive or two in before then to make sure my regs dont explode after being serviced tho :p

Tigerman that sounds so heartfelt and i do so hope you get a couple of dives in before the 11th and also that you have a brilliant trip to the Red Sea

I did my first cold-water sidemount dive last evening ... and opted for solo because my usual Thursday night buddies had planned a dive that I wasn't really up for doing. I was diving dual LP95's on the rig ... same tanks I'd been using last week in the Florida caves. But this time I was in cold water, heavier undergarment, and dry gloves. Mostly the dive went well ... I found a couple things I need to adapt for the additional exposure gear ... and need to get my weighting dialed in. But I had my scooter along, and the feeling of sidemount on a scooter is noticeably "sleeker" than backmount.

Because this was a shakedown dive, and I had my scooter along, I opted to leave the camera behind. That's my only regret, because as fate would have it I saw something unusual. While coming up from about 100 feet, I suddenly noticed something big swim by ... it was a smallish (about five feet in length) sturgeon ... only the second time I've ever seen one while diving. For those who haven't seen one, they look like a relic from the Pliocene Epoch ... long, sleek and knobby ... almost a swimming dinosaur.

I ended the dive after only 30 minutes, because I realized I didn't pack enough weight and didn't want my tanks to get too empty before I had to ascend ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Aww, typical aint it that the ONE time you leave the camera behind, you shoulda had it? :(

Yay, I had a few hours available yesterday after having picked up my gear from service a few days ago :D
Just a relaxing 65ish ft. dive to make sure everything was working properly and to get my nitrogen loading up a bit at Homshommen, Norge - Google Maps about 15 minutes west along the lake where I live.
As much of the lake here it was fairly much mud at the bottomn, but around the little (ok tiny) island it wasnt too bad.

Because this was a shakedown dive, and I had my scooter along, I opted to leave the camera behind. That's my only regret, because as fate would have it I saw something unusual. While coming up from about 100 feet, I suddenly noticed something big swim by ... it was a smallish (about five feet in length) sturgeon ... only the second time I've ever seen one while diving. For those who haven't seen one, they look like a relic from the Pliocene Epoch ... long, sleek and knobby ... almost a swimming dinosaur.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Murphy's Law, I hate diving without a camera.

Recently I have been taking two along leaving the Wide Angle on the boat (as viz here is pretty poor) just in case we come across a whale shark as this is the season here in UAE.

You need to fit a camera mount on your scooter Bob

On Saturday on the second dive my daughter could not equalize so I made sure she got back to the boat okay and I solo'd on Martini Rock off the east coast of UAE.

Lovely relaxed dive with my 60mm lens fitted and no rush getting the shots I was after.

Favourite shot of the dive

GTS_5797Csig.jpg

Last edited:
Does it count that i went into the water at the same time as 2 friends?

Slack water only lasts 1/2 an hour on a tiny, but lovely wreck of a 19th century Admiralty barge, it has mooring buoys, a huge winch which was powered by a donkey boiler (wherein lives a huge congar) and 3 anchors. It's a wooden wreck which was copper plated (watch your suit on the nails where the plating is coming apart) and held together by copper pins. Bib & pollock swarm across the top whilst tompots nessle in the nooks & crannies, be careful where you put your fingers because Larry the lobster hides in holes, but is always ready for a tasty snack (so is Craig the crab).

Not a very big wreck, but my favourite and although we went in together & acknowledged eachother when we met up we all came out together & had our own dives. Vis is lovely at the moment despite the plankton bloom - wonder what the recent weather has done to that!

asset.php

Not getting many solo dives in these days, my buddies and I are digging gold coins off a wreck in an area about 15ft x 15ft so there is always someone within an arms reach. Can't wait to get all the gold up so I can get back to diving with out ducking from a hammer blow. Funny thing though I sometimes sing when underwater and one of my buddies heard me and thought I was in trouble. LOL
ZDD

Nice 84 minute dive off Little Tub in Tobermory, Ont...water is really warming up to 51 degrees F.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom