Where did you solo dive today?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've not posted here in a while! I've been hitting my usual haunts around Tobermory and Lake Ontario... Forest City and Arabia a few times as well as the Tiller Wreck. On Sunday, I took a spin up to the City of Cleveland which is about 18 miles north of Tobermory and a fairly shallow wreck. My dog boat-tended while I had a nice little dive! (I tied him well so he couldn't fall or jump out of the boat!)

Oddly, I've been craving a buddy a bit lately. I got a nice new camera and have been using it on some of our wrecks, but I am finding that without a buddy/body in the frame, there's nothing to give the scale of the wrecks.

I might need to get one of those inflatable dolls that I can anchor down there... Sort of a pneumo-buddy...

Here's a shot of the bow of the Arabia...

APlace b&W DSC_6750.jpg

2 lovely hour dives off the Dorset coast, just me & the camera at 20m. some lovely pictures of tiny Inachus dorsetensis (small spider crabs), just missed out on a Macropodia crab because i was concentrating on the Inachus & by the time i went back he had gone:-(

so many subjects to photograph so little time.

day 2 back to buddy diving - live with it!

Did a couple of solo dives in Summersville Lake, West Virginia.

Down at 100 feet the temperature was 61 degrees and the visibility was about 6 inches.

Did my first solo deco dive.

Yesterday I christened my new Solo Card with a dive at Bad Neighbor Rock... A nasty shoal about 9 miles out in the lake, midway between Tobermory and Manitoulin Island. It breaks the surface just slightly, then drops straight down well over 200'. I dropped to about 160', cruised the wall for 20 minutes, then worked my way up over time. Near the top of the wall there was a small school of either salmon or Lake Trout... they were a ways away so hard to tell for sure.

Total time in the water was 50 minutes...

I'm just about to head out again now to see what I can see!

Ok so the temperature yesterday in Little Tub, Tobermory and on the wall off Trail's End was 73F. I mean, 73F degrees. 3ml water and what I brought up with me was a drysuit. Of course, below 40 ft it was the usual temp.

Saturday at Ivy Lea in the St Lawrence River the temp was 73F.
Really needed a light deeper than 110 ft. Tried a slightly different sidemount configuration.
Lots of sheepshead and carp.

Three cool dive sites in Utah for me over the weekend. Bear Lake at the Utah Idaho border I did last year, this year the water levels were much higher, meaning that little green trees along the shoreline were sticking up through the water.

Yesterday I went to Fish Lake, 3.5 hrs south of SLC, and what a spectacular setting!!!!! There are a lot of weeds along the west shore, and once you're over them there's a drop off where lots of fish hang out. It was a really peaceful couple of dives.

This morning I went up to Trial Lakein the Uinta Mountains at 9200 ft, highest I've been diving. The water is tea-coloured, but not cold at this time of year by Ontario diving standards: 60F. Lots of rainbow trout, lake trout and a cool white fish one of the local fishermen told me was a 'splake". It came up out of the tannic water like a guided missile doing a flyby. Early on a Monday meant not many fishing lures do deal with.

I rented tanks from Neptune Divers in SCL, they are great to deal with.

I did a nice, relaxing 75-minute solo dive at my local mudhole yesterday. The visibility was better than average, and I found a couple friends to play with ...

These guys always crack me up with their facial expressions ... I can almost hear him thinking "no paparazzi, no paparazzi" ...

IMG_1504.jpg

This one thinks he's Billy Idol ...

IMG_1539.jpg

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom