Where did you solo dive today?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I liked your post. Many of us solo divers will tell you, in different ways, that solo diving can be cathartic, calming, and even selfish. Selfish because the dive becomes all about you (and that is a good thing as doing something for yourself is important, now and then).

What are your thoughts about the psychological aspects of the dive itself?

Was it a different experience than buddy diving?

Was it peaceful in a different way than buddy diving?
Mark,

I'm sorry for the delay. They were thoughtful questions. I composed a response at the time, but did not post, as it was wayyy too long. It still is, but maybe, putting it below is still best. I've tried to shorten it... I've had two more solo's, along the pipe at Breakwater Monterey, so my perspective is the barest bit more mixed.

Mostly I now have three dive modes: as part of our staff with students, with one of our other TAs mentoring a bit, or just me. I like a view that solo gives me the chance to work on my stuff, play in shallows, fiddle with gear, or just wander a site alone. Then I get to dive with a buddy, with my stuff more solid and happy. That leaves we free to work on buddy stuff, or just share the site. Finally when I dive as staff, all my little kinks are worked out.

# Psychological

I'd split psychological into a) I'm feeling safe under and above and b) what's my day/dive like.

Solo underwater, I feel *mostly* as safe as with a good buddy. There are things that can happen to totally take me out, but they're rare. I chose a rather large pony, LP27, so if something like entanglement happens underwater, I can stay down a long time to solve it. I also have low profile D rings on my weight belt so I can transfer gear there if I have to ditch my rig.

When I shadow students, I get small moments to look at the kelp next to me, while tracking the students. My first solo dives felt similar, but my only help was my pony and the whole dive I was free to look at stuff. Not quite the same feeling of exposure, but close. There's definitely still an 'its just me down here' overlay on my mind.

Above water when solo, the connection to help is more tenuous. I dive Monterey where there's strong land based support, if you can get someone to dial 911. With a buddy, you can believe they can get someone to make that call. Injured solo, you have to get to where you can do that yourself. I have the physical signaling aids, but not electronic ones. That might be a gear change I could use.

I thought of the risk tradeoff of Lovers -- quiet residential -- vs Breakwater -- center of diving and some activity, the conditions, and my readiness. Once I decided I was not at appreciably greater risk at Lovers, psychologically the dive was close to me getting in the water as normal.

The first dive, I had a moment of apprehensive thought once on the bottom, of it just being me down here. My feet were cold from a thinner bottom and the vis being lower than I had had recently, which all added up. But just a thought, as I knew I was well prepared for the conservative dive I planned and the water was calm with no surge. Solo dives 3 and 4, at the breakwater, I felt rushed getting to the shallows I wanted with still generous air in my primary tank for my safety stop. It was not so much a solo thing, just on most dives my SAC means I have plenty of air relative to others, while on my two Breakwater solo's I used most of my tank. Planning that exquisitely is not yet a skill.

I think I was less aware of my surroundings. With a buddy I am constantly turning to check on them, solo I did not have the built in environment scans those checks produce. While working on various issues, eg. restoring pony or fixing my pencil, I did check myself and mentally back up and reacquire my environment. Puttering about exploring may not seem subject to task fixation, but regularly pulling back and checking the whole area is likely a prudent habit I need to re-enforce.

# vs. Buddy

I don't have much pure buddy experience to compare to. All my buddies are well trained graduates of our program, but I'm still more experienced so am usually lead diver. Half the staff is more experienced than me, but we rarely get to dive as buddies and two are instructors and Diving Officers at their institutions so are far more experienced.

I had a great buddy dive in 20'+ vis off Catalina with a woman, Hannah, from a Canadian environmental department. I believe she has far more experience yet did not want to be lead. I had no worry about her, nor, I think, she of me. We knocked around a kelp covered slope checking out various bits of it. As it happens, shadowed by one of our junior staff and they observed by our Diving Officer. Ignoring our shadows, our coordination in the water was fluid and did not impede the dive, we felt a good team, plus she is a hoot.

Thinking of that dive -- 46' 32 min, some current, kelp forest, Channel islands -- I'm not comfortable doing that solo, especially without a radio on me. If something small physical happened to me, she could help. If something big happened, she could tow me back to beach and visibility to others and raise some help, though it could be rough odds for me.

Thinking of a shallow sheltered local reef, like Breakwater, with people ashore, I don't think I have apprehension summoning surface aid; divers entering the water is even likely. I don't want to be selfish by being irresponsible in the water and relying on that.

I think most of my solo routine was like me getting in the water with students, just no students and an extra tank and mask. In turning to do my buddy check, I did so conscious that no one was around to help if I messed it up. But I realize I left parts out of my most thorough version, such as condition of all hoses, and did not do any of it twice. I had just been diving that gear for a week.

# Peaceful

Solo at Lovers was very peaceful. Just me looking at sea life at whatever pace I wanted. I think a great buddy dive might be more fun v.s. peaceful.

Solo along the pipe at Breakwater varied from far calmer than tracking a buddy in <2' vis to very, very, cool under a layer of jelly fish just above me in 20' vis, just for me to see.

# Other

I wouldn't claim cathartic. But freeing, yes. I used to train in master and competitive level ballroom dances; but you need a good parter. Recently I resurrected my scuba; but you need a buddy to do it responsibly, and a good one. Recently, SB seems accepting that *properly trained and equipped* solo diving is responsible. With that, I started preparing for solo. Then I busted my knee.... So the week of training in SoCal and then solo diving from the rental house in Monterey was a freeing reemergence, on Easter no less. Still much to learn, but it felt good.

Technically, I feel on uncertain ground in *claiming* solo readiness. I'm not solo ready to a standard of *solo trained* and equipped. Yet, for three years I've helped teach, and the extras we cover are many of the solo skills. In those years, I've been internalizing the tech view that the surface is not the immediate solution. I developed and teach our classroom buoyancy and trim section because those are my 'thing' in the water. My scuba 'day' job has been shadowing our students in northern California kelp, low vis, and surge. So I am trained and experienced at being on my own watching over students in tough waters. Though I'm not *certified* to be in that same spot without being responsible for others as well as me.

# Is it selfish?

Maybe a little. Solo, I'm at higher risk than buddied with any of my *well trained* pool of dive buddies. I might, might, be at lower risk solo than shadowing two of our students early on. But me diving is important to me, and just-me is sometimes important. I'm not at 1000 dives, not even close. But I'm well trained for my 130 ish dives, with wide experience! My first two solos were while with my brother's family on vacation. The consequences of an incident were considered very carefully in my mind, weighed against the risk, and my state. With my nephews expecting me for breakfast, I considered the risk acceptable for me, that day, with that sea state.

Michael

The lake like conditions of my two Breakwater solo dives. That pipe goes out to ~47' to near a field of metridiums, which I reached on my forth solo dive, and where I had the overhead cover of sea nettles. I'd been on that pipe several times before with students, and to the fields once before, but never had overhead sea nettle company when I got there.
IMG_0123.jpg

Last edited:
Mark,

I'm sorry for the delay. They were thoughtful questions. I composed a response at the time, but did not post, as it was wayyy too long. It still is, but maybe, putting it below is still best. I've tried to shorten it... I've had two more solo's, along the pipe at Breakwater Monterey, so my perspective is the barest bit more mixed.

Mostly I now have three dive modes: as part of our staff with students, with one of our other TAs mentoring a bit, or just me. I like a view that solo gives me the chance to work on my stuff, play in shallows, fiddle with gear, or just wander a site alone. Then I get to dive with a buddy, with my stuff more solid and happy. That leaves we free to work on buddy stuff, or just share the site. Finally when I dive as staff, all my little kinks are worked out.

# Psychological

I'd split psychological into a) I'm feeling safe under and above and b) what's my day/dive like.

Solo underwater, I feel *mostly* as safe as with a good buddy. There are things that can happen to totally take me out, but they're rare. I chose a rather large pony, LP27, so if something like entanglement happens underwater, I can stay down a long time to solve it. I also have low profile D rings on my weight belt so I can transfer gear there if I have to ditch my rig.

When I shadow students, I get small moments to look at the kelp next to me, while tracking the students. My first solo dives felt similar, but my only help was my pony and the whole dive I was free to look at stuff. Not quite the same feeling of exposure, but close. There's definitely still an 'its just me down here' overlay on my mind.

Above water when solo, the connection to help is more tenuous. I dive Monterey where there's strong land based support, if you can get someone to dial 911. With a buddy, you can believe they can get someone to make that call. Injured solo, you have to get to where you can do that yourself. I have the physical signaling aids, but not electronic ones. That might be a gear change I could use.

I thought of the risk tradeoff of Lovers -- quiet residential -- vs Breakwater -- center of diving and some activity, the conditions, and my readiness. Once I decided I was not at appreciably greater risk at Lovers, psychologically the dive was close to me getting in the water as normal.

The first dive, I had a moment of apprehensive thought once on the bottom, of it just being me down here. My feet were cold from a thinner bottom and the vis being lower than I had had recently, which all added up. But just a thought, as I knew I was well prepared for the conservative dive I planned and the water was calm with no surge. Solo dives 3 and 4, at the breakwater, I felt rushed getting to the shallows I wanted with still generous air in my primary tank for my safety stop. It was not so much a solo thing, just on most dives my SAC means I have plenty of air relative to others, while on my two Breakwater solo's I used most of my tank. Planning that exquisitely is not yet a skill.

I think I was less aware of my surroundings. With a buddy I am constantly turning to check on them, solo I did not have the built in environment scans those checks produce. While working on various issues, eg. restoring pony or fixing my pencil, I did check myself and mentally back up and reacquire my environment. Puttering about exploring may not seem subject to task fixation, but regularly pulling back and checking the whole area is likely a prudent habit I need to re-enforce.

# vs. Buddy

I don't have much pure buddy experience to compare to. All my buddies are well trained graduates of our program, but I'm still more experienced so am usually lead diver. Half the staff is more experienced than me, but we rarely get to dive as buddies and two are instructors and Diving Officers at their institutions so are far more experienced.

I had a great buddy dive in 20'+ vis off Catalina with a woman, Hannah, from a Canadian environmental department. I believe she has far more experience yet did not want to be lead. I had no worry about her, nor, I think, she of me. We knocked around a kelp covered slope checking out various bits of it. As it happens, shadowed by one of our junior staff and they observed by our Diving Officer. Ignoring our shadows, our coordination in the water was fluid and did not impede the dive, we felt a good team, plus she is a hoot.

Thinking of that dive -- 46' 32 min, some current, kelp forest, Channel islands -- I'm not comfortable doing that solo, especially without a radio on me. If something small physical happened to me, she could help. If something big happened, she could tow me back to beach and visibility to others and raise some help, though it could be rough odds for me.

Thinking of a shallow sheltered local reef, like Breakwater, with people ashore, I don't think I have apprehension summoning surface aid; divers entering the water is even likely. I don't want to be selfish by being irresponsible in the water and relying on that.

I think most of my solo routine was like me getting in the water with students, just no students and an extra tank and mask. In turning to do my buddy check, I did so conscious that no one was around to help if I messed it up. But I realize I left parts out of my most thorough version, such as condition of all hoses, and did not do any of it twice. I had just been diving that gear for a week.

# Peaceful

Solo at Lovers was very peaceful. Just me looking at sea life at whatever pace I wanted. I think a great buddy dive might be more fun v.s. peaceful.

Solo along the pipe at Breakwater varied from far calmer than tracking a buddy in <2' vis to very, very, cool under a layer of jelly fish just above me in 20' vis, just for me to see.

# Other

I wouldn't claim cathartic. But freeing, yes. I used to train in master and competitive level ballroom dances; but you need a good parter. Recently I resurrected my scuba; but you need a buddy to do it responsibly, and a good one. Recently, SB seems accepting that *properly trained and equipped* solo diving is responsible. With that, I started preparing for solo. Then I busted my knee.... So the week of training in SoCal and then solo diving from the rental house in Monterey was a freeing reemergence, on Easter no less. Still much to learn, but it felt good.

Technically, I feel on uncertain ground in *claiming* solo readiness. I'm not solo ready to a standard of *solo trained* and equipped. Yet, for three years I've helped teach, and the extras we cover are many of the solo skills. In those years, I've been internalizing the tech view that the surface is not the immediate solution. I developed and teach our classroom buoyancy and trim section because those are my 'thing' in the water. My scuba 'day' job has been shadowing our students in northern California kelp, low vis, and surge. So I am trained and experienced at being on my own watching over students in tough waters. Though I'm not *certified* to be in that same spot without being responsible for others as well as me.

# Is it selfish?

Maybe a little. Solo, I'm at higher risk than buddied with any of my *well trained* pool of dive buddies. I might, might, be at lower risk solo than shadowing two of our students early on. But me diving is important to me, and just-me is sometimes important. I'm not at 1000 dives, not even close. But I'm well trained for my 130 ish dives, with wide experience! My first two solos were while with my brother's family on vacation. The consequences of an incident were considered very carefully in my mind, weighed against the risk, and my state. With my nephews expecting me for breakfast, I considered the risk acceptable for me, that day, with that sea state.

Michael

The lake like conditions of my two Breakwater solo dives. That pipe goes out to ~47' to near a field of metridiums, which I reached on my forth solo dive, and where I had the overhead cover of sea nettles. I'd been on that pipe several times before with students, and to the fields once before, but never had overhead sea nettle company when I got there.
View attachment 462198

Hi MichaelMc,

Thanks for your response. I enjoyed reading it. You emphasized "well trained" buddies. Well trained buddies are great. Insta-buddies are not so great, usually.

I also like the part about your mental preparedness to ditch your rig. I have read about incidents and spoke with witnesses who were not able to help divers who would not ditch their gear. In an extreme situation, I will ditch my sinkers and then ditch my BC if de-ballasting does not work. The referred to divers assumed ambient water temperature (cold water diving--they were well preserved). Or, maybe they did not ditch their gear because they were afraid of a possible chamber ride? Dunno.

Thanks again,
markm

Some deep thoughts above.

I am more like the guy with the pitch fork in front of the mote...

Made it Yellow Brick Road yesterday. Wind blowing the wrong way and visibility was poor for the first 1/3rd of the road, but opened up to 20' for the remainder.
Thanks to Jimmy Buffet, parking is a pita.
Also, one has to navigate an army tourists to the entry. This can be pleasing to the eye, or you may want to bleach them out, ymmv.
I am trying a lighter weight setup for long walks, etc.
Zeagle Tech Express (modified) and a lp72.
With a 3mm, I only need 4lbs. I have used this both as a backpack setup (sans wing) and with wing.
Depends who is working at my lds, but I get anywhere from 2250 to 3k fills on lp72s.
Yesterday, 2250. I dumped a bit from one of my hp117s to boost to 2600.
Plenty of slightrox for a 60-90 minute dive. Managed to log an hour, which is plenty long for this site for me.

Need a shorter inflator hose. I picked up the Beuchat 1st a couple of weeks ago cheap. Overhauled it and have been happy to use it.
20180610_122138.jpg

Yesterday, just south of the Hillsboro inlet in about 60' of water, a small chunk of reef with a very light north current, warm water with probably the best visibility I've had all year, definitely more than what my old eyes can see. Helped a lobster commit suicide and had the luck to witness big schools of many different fish. What a great mind-reset to get me ready to face the week. No divers around me to bother me. Surprisingly with such good seas there wasn't many boats out either, what do people do on such nice days with flat seas?
Two things called my attention during the dive, I'm seeing more hogfish than usual, but I'm not seeing hamlets. I figure the new rule for hogfish size and quantity is the reason for my first observation, but what's up with the beautiful little hamlets? The indigos became scarce a while ago but the barred and butter hamlet were everywhere until not too long. I hope is just me missing them because I'm distracted with something else.

I recently returned home from a great week of diving in Boynton Beach and Jupiter, 17 dives in 6 days. These included 12 wonderful solo dives in Boynton Beach, 4 on the Castor and the other 8 on the reef. The best day was the last, a 66 minute dive on 75, a little dived site just north of the inlet, and a 72 minute dive on Table Tops, finishing off with the jump to the island at the north end of the main reef. Water temp was 83-4 degrees, best visibility of the week at about 60 feet, mild north current. Very relaxing, did not see another diver all day. Plenty to see with Nurse Sharks, Green Morays, bunch of lobster, and all of the usual and expected reef fish. There's no place like home :)

Went to Center Hill Lake in TN today. First time sidemount and drysuit in awhile. It was a great dive.

Once I got to 50ft of depth, viz was around 20ft. The best I have had on this lake.

After a week of storms, got in yesterday afternoon in Lau Lau Bay off Saipan. Water was more murky than norm due to rain wash, but on the way back in, came upon a pair of octopus doing the mating dance, got some good footage of them, a few turtles. Always worth it just to get out in it.

Enjoyed my first solo-dive.
A day of vacation with no buddy available, a twin-set about half full so not ready for any "serious" dive but due to a lack of infrastructure no way of filling it before the next dive.
Loaded up the gear and drove to a reservoir nearby, early in the morning, sun just came up and it was a beautiful day.
Geared up with the twinset and a stage, jumped into the water and enjoyed an hour of tranquility. With no buddy to be responsible for, the mind was completely set on just enjoying.
Most relaxing dive ever. Just zigzagging around wherever i wanted, sometimes staying at a spot, watching fish four a couple of minutes before going on. Saw the biggest pike ever, just resting on the floor.
With no other divers around, the area was full of fish in all sized that did not feel disturbed by my presence.

I solo dived High Rocks on the Clackamas River near Gladstone, Oregon (Portland area) today. It was a beautiful Fall day, bright sunshine, and the river was low and clear, but cold (50 degrees F). I'll put together a better post tomorrow, but a very nice dive today. I dove a Dacor Pacer/Enduro regulator that I was given as they are no longer being made, and the LDS didn't want to simply throw them away. I purposely took my tank pressure down to zero, and still had no breathing resistance before tripping my J-valve and getting another 185 psig. I surfaced with that, and snorkeled to my exit site.

On a business trip to Fiji this last week. I brought my lite BPW and planned to do a few days of diving off a boat (I did), and brought my 40 CF pony to do some solo shore diving. The resort would not rent out their tanks except and unless you were on their boat so I ended up diving off my 40.

Had a beautiful 40 minute solo dive, peaceful, quiet. I haven’t done a solo dive on a single tank in a long time, but felt comfy in the tame waters and shallow water (stayed at 35 feet). Tons of reef fish, some lion fish, a large GT (giant trevally).

Finished as the sun was setting. Beautiful crimson clouds in violaceous wisps and rose colored skies. It was very remarkable. The surface swim back to the island was remarkably beautiful.

Attachments

• F829E036-7C7F-4B35-B0F8-EF24AFEE5E74.jpeg
    F829E036-7C7F-4B35-B0F8-EF24AFEE5E74.jpeg
    101.3 KB · Views: 220
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom