Where did you solo dive today?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No worries I just never seen the Pelican's foot shells. Americans or other kind.
It called my attention because I've been mildly interested in shells for decades... I've picked some bivalves that had some event happened to the creature but somehow recovered , makes for an amusing shape.
Makes me wonder about the growth process on these "Foot shells" . My understanding is that shells just add layers as they grow, but sort of following the same pattern... Looking at Google images of the foot shells, seems that at certain point in their life they grow a foot, can that be right?
Anyway thanks for giving me a new question to figure out.
I'm not a conchologist, but I think you are correct. It seems to be true for the true conchs, such as the Queen Conch, which is (well, used to be) common down your way. The young ones (or "rollers") have no foot, so they at times roll on the bottom.

Reactions: Ana
Well i just came back from a nice set of solo dives.
Visibility was nice we can see the reef from the boat. Usually my husband goes firsts but this time I did. First dive without a hood too felt great. Did close to an hour, saw a good size barracuda, it has been a while since I saw one... There's many species that used to be the norm to see and these days is an event.

There were so many boats out there today. People cruising, fishing and diving out of their own vessels... Lots of activity from the radio too but nothing fatal.

Was a peaceful dive for me, going back tomorrow and Monday.

Well i just came back from a nice set of solo dives.
Visibility was nice we can see the reef from the boat. Usually my husband goes firsts but this time I did. First dive without a hood too felt great. Did close to an hour, saw a good size barracuda, it has been a while since I saw one... There's many species that used to be the norm to see and these days is an event.

There were so many boats out there today. People cruising, fishing and diving out of their own vessels... Lots of activity from the radio too but nothing fatal.

Was a peaceful dive for me, going back tomorrow and Monday.
Ana where was this at?

Pompano beach, we live about 1.5 miles south of the Hillsboro inlet. As a general rule we go to the 2nd reef line that runs north south. We don't have a particular place to splash, as long as there's no other boat that's a good place for us.
Depth goes 65-70 to about 35-40. We do an average of 1 hour per dive unless there's something special.... The time limit is mostly to give a break to the person on the boat. It is my husband and I with our puppy and sometimes is too bouncy for the person following the flag.

Mukilteo, WA... T Dock site. my max depth was 80 ft...... but on my exit met a really nice solo GUE diver with double mains and double side slings that had hit 160. I very much enjoyed discussing his dive and his staging. He very much enjoyed the Heineken's I had in my post dive ice chest. Great day...

The seas were very nice this morning...we went out again but this time only my husband did a solo dive, a friend came with us so I dive with her.
My husband went first and stayed for a good hour, came back up happy after another relaxing dive.

Friend and i went next. Very slight north current, we did another hour. I think we hit 60' but most of the reef was 45 to 55. Another great time underwater. Didn't see anything to write a report about but Viz was good, didn't get cold ...2nd dive of the year without a hood.
Also this friend is a good diver so i didn't have to worry about her doing anything weird. Wish I knew more people that can be trusted not to do something stupid diving and know how to operate a boat around divers. I wouldn't mind diving with my husband once in a while.

By the time we finished the seas were picking up, there was a huge thunderstorm just as we were arriving to the house. They have small craft advisory now, doesn't look promising for tomorrow but we will see. Worse case we just take a boat ride.

Oil fields here are in the middle of the GRAND Sahara, in the summer time temps. reach over 50C/122F and everyone wears safety boots and full coveralls/overalls. Same around other oil installations, no way would you see somebody wearing shorts, that is against safety regulations!!

Anyone else wants to top this?

(Note: The word "Sahara" means "desert" in Arabic and hence it is completely wrong to say "Sahara Desert." The proper term used in Arabic is "Grand Sahara" or "Al-Sahrah El-Kubrah" or "الصحراء الكبرى")
I've seen 122 in a desert environment. There, long pants are my first choice. When it's 110 & Humid, I prefer shorts. When the humidity is less than 10%, sweat evaporates just fine inside of long pants. & provides cooling. When humidity is 80+%, the story changes a bit.

Should've been diving this week, Covid made other plans. Thank god for being vaxxed and boosted, my symptoms have been very mild. Omicron. Anyone else having the same fun as me? I'm hoping to be back in the water next Wed. Local, tide dependant, wall dive, has the right tide. Of course it will be a solo dive.

Five of the dives on my recent visit to SE Florida were solo dives in Boynton Beach Trip Report - Back in Florida, 2022 #2

My favorite was a dive on the Castor. Visibility was good and there was virtually no current. It was a rare opportunity to swim around on and off the wreck without having to fight the usual brisk current.

One of the dives was a relaxing drift on the inside reef at Delray Ledges. The other 3 dives were very enjoyable drifts starting on the outside reef in Boynton, crossing over the reef, and finishing the dive on the inside reef.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom