Where do you get your training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OW and AOW - Absolut Wreck Diving, Ban Krut, Thailand
Rescue and DM - scheduled for the same place between now and August this year.

1, 2, 5, 6, 7 & 8

1,2,3,4,5,6,7 and 8 is by listening to and watching others and adopting any new info that's appropriate.The library for older publications.Still learning .I have wonderful resources in my more "experienced" friends .Just watching and talking about the early days.

8. Other: match-book cover and Sea Hunt re-runs. :whoa:

Originally posted by Uncle Pug
Where did/do you get your training?

1. LDS/agency
2. Independant instructor outside LDS
3. Specialized Training agencies (FD/PD, Military, Commercial, NOAA, ect.)
4. Specialized Training agencies (Cave, Technical, ect.)
5. Internet
6. Friends & dive buddies
7. On your own, the hard way
8. other

Greg.....I'm still laughing (and you are showing your age)

Hmmmm....Interesting question UP. I have gathered training from different parts of the US, through everyone's good friend PADI. I also learn a lot from friends and other professionals. I have learned a lot from this board. And, I do a lot of reading, so that might be construed as learned on my own (the hard way). I've done classes with independents and other formal training through the LDS; but, some has been by trial and error both under controlled conditions and not. Currently looking and waying the options of pursuing a more advanced slant, but the options are somewhat limited due to time contraints.

Cheers :)

I have used both an independent instructor and also instructors out of a LDS. I have been lucky to have fallen in with some good teachers. I plan on remaining with them through out my future dive education. Should I need to go outside them for training, I will be looking to them for advice on who to go to.

Dive Safe .........................Arduous

Well lets see........

I have taken all by classes through my LDS which is Underwater Sports. My coach was an employee of the LDS at the time then went out on his own. I call him my coach because that is what he has been for me.

I took BOW, AOW, RESCUE, DRY SUIT, NATURALIST, NITROX, DIVE MASTER All from the same instructor.

Oh, I am with PADI simply because that is what I started with.

I learned the most from watching him and then assisting with classes. He was very supportive and always available if you had questions or problems. You know you are trained when you passed his classes.

I then became part of a dive group that included my coach and several dive masters and other very skilled divers (which I do not rate myself as a diver with most of them yet) and watched and listened and asked questions and pushed my skills. Through him I was able to dive some incredible locations in both Washingon and Canada. Sites I may have been a bit timid to dive without the group.

He has recently moved out of state which has left a huge hole in the diving community.
However, it has opened a new area for the rest of us to dive!!!

74': NA.U.I./A.C.U.C. O/W

78'- 80' : FLORIDA INSTITUTE OF TECNOLOGY...ASSOCIATE OF
SCIENCE DEGREE IN U/W TECHNOLOGY

91': A.C.U.C. A.I.

98': N.A.U.I. INSTRUCTOR

Ba deep Ba deep...that probably won't be all, folks...

"Learn till they put the lid on the urn"

D.S.D.

Never did understand that little social custom of not revealing one's age. I'm old enough to remember the Sea Hunt shows when they were NOT re-runs. If I ever win the lottery, my first priority would be to start a new series:
Sea Hunt - The Next Generation

Plot for episode one:

Mike Nelson, in white swim trunks and "stroke" gear, battles the evil DIR guys in black swim trunks.

OR, reverse it.

Mike Nelson, DIR, goes on a crusade to make the dive world safe for truth, justice, and the DIR way!

The Unofficial site for Sea Hunt:
http://www.mnsi.net/~bjackson/

Originally posted by jmsdiver
Greg.....I'm still laughing (and you are showing your age)

Cheers :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom