Where do you keep your camera when

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jas77

Reaction score
This is probably a stupid question, but I was just wondering when you dive, where do you keep your camera. Do you hold it on a wrist strap all the time, or maybe strap it onto your bc somehow? My UW housing came with a neck strap, but I don't think I want to keep it around my neck when diving! Thanks for any input!

John

jas77 once bubbled...
This is probably a stupid question, but I was just wondering when you dive, where do you keep your camera. Do you hold it on a wrist strap all the time, or maybe strap it onto your bc somehow? My UW housing came with a neck strap, but I don't think I want to keep it around my neck when diving! Thanks for any input!

John

I found that rather than using the wrist strap that came with my housing, I just carry my camera by the tray handle. (In the case of my PT-10 I use the Sea Arm lV as a handle). When I've tried to use the wrist strap it generally just gets in the way. If I was to use one, I think that I would change the one that came with my housing to a strap that either velcros around my wrist or has some sort of disconnect. The last thing I want to do is get my camera wedged into something and not be able to get it off of my wrist. Slim chance but.....
With the strobe, my camera is neutrally bouyant so I don't worry about "dropping" it.

Hi jas77,
Not a stupid question at all. Around here, you learn more if you ask-I've "learned" that by experience.
As to your question: I use a "coiled lanyard"-at least I think that's what it is called. It has a snap(?) clip on each end-one gets clipped to the housing or tray, the other to the BC. In between, there is another clip-the typical "male/female" squeez clip(?-sorry about the uncertainty of the names). Open this, and the coiled lanyard comes into play- it extends far enough to take pictures, yet keeps the camera clipped to you-a good thing if you happen to let go.
:)

Reclip the M/F clip (the coils will "coil up") and the camera is kept close to your attachment point on your BC.
Also, when you unclip from the BC,if you clip that end to the top of the housing, you get a reasonably good, but short, carrying strap.
Hope this description is clear. Perhaps some of the other folks who use this type system, and have more computer savvy than I, can provide a picture. [Dee-are you out there???]

Good luck,
Mike

Thanks for the quick replies! I think I'll go to the LDS and see if they have any neat little gadgets to clip onto my housing.

miked once bubbled...
Hi jas77,
Not a stupid question at all. Around here, you learn more if you ask-I've "learned" that by experience.
As to your question: I use a "coiled lanyard"-at least I think that's what it is called. It has a snap(?) clip on each end-one gets clipped to the housing or tray, the other to the BC. In between, there is another clip-the typical "male/female" squeez clip(?-sorry about the uncertainty of the names). Open this, and the coiled lanyard comes into play- it extends far enough to take pictures, yet keeps the camera clipped to you-a good thing if you happen to let go.

Reclip the M/F clip (the coils will "coil up") and the camera is kept close to your attachment point on your BC.
Also, when you unclip from the BC,if you clip that end to the top of the housing, you get a reasonably good, but short, carrying strap.
Hope this description is clear. Perhaps some of the other folks who use this type system, and have more computer savvy than I, can provide a picture. [Dee-are you out there???]

Good luck,
Mike

Here's what you're talking about:

fcda4bbd.jpg

fcda4b9c.jpg

I originally bought it for my camera, but then decided that I didn't want it hanging where it could get banged around. Are you finding that it feels pretty safe? Maybe I will try it.

Hi Jas77:

The coil in the picture supplied by Bacchus is exactly what I use for a housed camera w/twin strobes. It's never let me down yet.:boom:

Like the others have said .... for now this seems to be the best solution for me......Although while using the camera I sometime undo the snap bolt from the BC to give me more freedom. I really like it during ascents and safety stops and even descents to keep the hands free.....my housing and strobe, while bulky on land are neutral U/W so you don’t even realize they are there.....Lanyards work well......Did I tell how the Strobe decided to go for an 80' dive on its own???? :eek: ;-0 :bonk:

miked once bubbled...
Hi jas77,

Reclip the M/F clip (the coils will "coil up") and the camera is kept close to your attachment point on your BC...................

fcda3c28.jpg

Finesse once bubbled...
Did I tell how the Strobe decided to go for an 80' dive on its own???? :eek: ;-0 :bonk:

You didn't have to...Thierry told us of the search and rescue! :D

Bacchus once bubbled...

You didn't have to...Thierry told us of the search and rescue! :D

That news got out fast !!!!!! :around: :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom