Where do you keep your camera when

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bacchus once bubbled...

Here's what you're talking about:

fcda4bbd.jpg

fcda4b9c.jpg

I originally bought it for my camera, but then decided that I didn't want it hanging where it could get banged around. Are you finding that it feels pretty safe? Maybe I will try it.

This is exactly the rig I use(d) with my Ikelite case with my Canon 950. I would attach this rig to a D ring on the upper left side of my BC. I would also clip the bottom handle of the case to a carabiner on a D ring on the bottom of my BC. Kept the camera case pretty neat that way. When I got to depth and location, I'd disconnect the carabiner and release the middle clip (on the upper rig) and was ready to shoot.

Last spring (on my SABA trip), the Nikon 950 started to die (not leak related). I picked up a very different camera ('free' via American Express Membership Rewards) and bought the Canon case for $200 (total). That's less than the cost of a rebuilt Nikon 950.

The Canon case fits in a pocket in my Ranger BC!

Gadzooks! What a switch...

Now the real question is what will I buy when I win Powerball? I'd love to go with a fully housed 12mpixel SLR with a foveon sensor... either I win Powerball or I wait about 4 years for that configuration to fall in the $800 range...

I cant tell you....(even thought I had insurance...and Thank you Dee and the rest of you who talked me into it )....How proud I was of Thierry too!!!!!!!!!!:D :D :D

What a feeling to jump off the boat , swim to the tether line holding the camera and see only the camera!!!!!:eek: :eek:

"Hmmmmm", I thought , "Did I leave the strobe on the boat ????"OHHHH NOOOOOOOOOOO !!!!!!!

Well those weren’t the exact words that I uttered under water but ask the Mantas .... They heard me !!!!!!

I also use a coiled lanyard like Bacchus posted. If I want or need the camera out of the way yet not dangling below, I keep the coils clipped together to keep the camera in front of me. The PT-010 housing isn't that big and I haven't found it to be a hassle.

Finesser...aren't you glad? It only take 1 claim to make it worth it!

I use that exact set up for my Ikelite and movie light set up, it makes me feel more secure when it is cliped to my bc and is really convienent for the deckhand to pass down to me in the water. (I`ve been told it is not good for the housing to jump in with it . Pressure I guess. Anyone heard of this ? Also nice on safety stops, I can clip it short so I can pay more attention to my computer and my dive buddy doesn`t get on my case, but it is handy if a shark or interesting bubble comes by.

It's not the pressure....the reason you don't want to jump in with your camera/housing is because of the shock of hitting the water. It could jar things and cause damage. I have done it when there was no one available to hand my camera to me or conditions weren't condusive to floating on the surface, but only by placing it in front of me, cushioning it with my body and falling backwards, taking the impact on my tank.

I much prefer having my rig handed to me and the coiled lanyard is perfect for that. Just be careful attaching it to your BC!

Dee once bubbled...
I have done it when there was no one available to hand my camera to me or conditions weren't condusive to floating on the surface..........I much prefer having my rig handed to me and the coiled lanyard is perfect for that. Just be careful attaching it to your BC!

Or have Mantaboy handy to go on a search and recovery :D :D :D

Dee thankfully it was found ...Many thanks to Mantaboy!!!.. but before he found it and as I went down the mooring line, sans strobe , 5 minutes after everyone else was already on the bottom wondering where I ended up....I thought of you and was sooooooo happy I got that insurance you spoke of :wink: :wink: It was worth it just knowing I had that strobe insured.......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom