Where/how to practice for currents

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think it has been clearly mentioned that not all high-current dives are drift dives. Those that are can be a lot of fun. But experiencing strong currents and having to swim across or against them (for example, to get back to the boat or exit) is something else. Navy SEALs abort a mission if they have to swim far against a knot-and-a-half current. One learns to "read" the flow and find places to hide, and catch your breath. Staying close to the bottom or a wall is helpful, in the boundary layer rather than out in the free flow. Cave divers entering Ginnie Springs have all kinds of tricks to counteract the high flow against them. It is not all drift diving.

Yes, Niagara River. 2-hour drive. I've heard of people in my area diving it, although it's not that popular. I'll look into it some more though.
If you're in Toronto, lots of people dive the St. Lawrence to the east. Some great wreck too apparently. I'll be headed there myself this summer.

Back
Top Bottom