Where in the world to take Rescue Diver course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Study Joe

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I want to take a rescue diver course, but I want to do it somewhere fun with warm water diving. Most important I want to do it with a good shop/company. After some upcoming work travel I will have six days to get from L.A. to anywhere in the world and then get back home to Virginia. I will be solo. I have about 100 dives, mostly Caribbean live aboards and a small amount in Australia. With that in mind does anyone have any good recommendations for good rescue diver courses?

What would you be looking for to define a good shop?

Thailand, Philippines, Honduras, Belize, Mexico, elsewhere in Asia and the Caribbean as well as Florida will all have quality instructors and shops.

With a little more information maybe we can reflect a better suggestion beyond the thousands we might have personally enjoyed or know.

For a blind recommendation I'd send you to the oldest passionate instructor you can find. Someone who has unfortunately had to perform many rescues and has the experience to add value to the training.

Regards,
Cameron

Dude, go diving for fun then take a rescue diver course from me in the surf in Va Beach! :D

I took mine with South Beach divers in Miami....I liked the Cuban food and nightlife along with the warm water....but when I went, it was a rather cold weekend in March:(.

I would also consider Stuart Cove in Nassau....

I get that you probably want to take advantage of already being in LA, but I wouldn't go too far. Maybe Hawaii or Cabo San Lucas? Otherwise someplace back in the Caribbean where the flight schedules work well with both LAX and home. With only 6 days, if you head further into the Pacific you could spend most of it traveling, catching up with the time zone, and then the Rescue class itself can be tiring. A trip like that would allow for little to no fun diving.

Or separate your Rescue class from a fun diving trip. Look into doing it near home or maybe a long weekend trip to someplace in Florida. (Note that good conditions and viz might not be where you'll learn the most from the Rescue dives.)

What Trace said. Or drive up north and take it in Mendocino/Ft Bragg. Subsurface Progression would be a good place to start for a shop.

You don't want a rescue class to be held in nice warm conditions. You want it to be in as rough of conditions as you can take since that is probably when you'll need the skills anyway.

Plus it's more fun if you get your ass handed to you... amIright? No? Just me then...

-Chris

I want to take a rescue diver course, but I want to do it somewhere fun with warm water diving. Most important I want to do it with a good shop/company. After some upcoming work travel I will have six days to get from L.A. to anywhere in the world and then get back home to Virginia. I will be solo. I have about 100 dives, mostly Caribbean live aboards and a small amount in Australia. With that in mind does anyone have any good recommendations for good rescue diver courses?
The best in-residence rescue and first aid courses with practical training alongside the professional chain of emergency care provided by Los Angeles County Emergency Medical Services, with over 40 years specialized experience in the critical treatment of civilian recreational diving casualties and accidents, is right here in offshore Southern Califonia at Santa Catalina Island:

Educational Programs > USC Catalina Hyperbaric Chamber > USC Dana and David Dornsife College of Letters, Arts and Sciences

The best in-residence rescue and first aid courses with practical training alongside the professional chain of emergency care provided by Los Angeles County Emergency Medical Services, with over 40 years specialized experience in the critical treatment of civilian recreational diving casualties and accidents, is right here in offshore Southern Califonia at Santa Catalina Island:

Educational Programs > USC Catalina Hyperbaric Chamber > USC Dana and David Dornsife College of Letters, Arts and Sciences

Would this be available to a Canadian? I wouldn't need a certification but simply for the value of learning skills I hope to never use.

Cameron

Thanks for the link. Didn't know about that. Hopefully moving back to Ventura County soon. Good to know about this for the future even though the page reflects a cancelled 2016 course date.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom