where is best diving in Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bashaw77

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Thinking about coming to the Keys in early March. Where is the best diving for that time of year, what could I expect for water temp & vis, and which Key do you recommend to stay on? We are not much into city life but like good places to eat.

Undoubtably the Dry Tortugas, but I don't expect that's what you mean. Key Largo will fill your needs just fine. Temp should be in the mid to upper 70s, and vis could be anywhere from 20 to over 100 feet.

We love to stay at the OCEAN View the pool rocks great pub on site with pub grub, rooms NICE prices GOOD! The Ocean View Pub & Inn - Lodging Key Largo is a great spot to get on boats, But We love Conch Republic divers nice opp & Shop Conch Republic Divers Food lots to have some good some bad,some way too much$$$ we get some fresh fish or Florida bugs and cook on the grill behind our room at the Ocean View it's sooooo good! But a must eat at one day get a fish sandwich at Florida Keys, Craigs Restaurant Islamorada in the Florida Keys Islamorada, FL Home, then when top side after diving stop by and do Robbies FEED THE TARPON!Feeding Tarpons at Robbie's so you will see Mid keys are a great spot to stay! and make sure always TURN RIGHT !! have fun!

Agree. Key Largo. Water likely will be in the 70s. I use a full 3, sometimes with a hooded vest underneath if its nearer 70. Lots of good dive ops and lots of places to eat.

I like the idea of Key Largo too, though I dove the Vandenberg in Key West a couple of February's ago.

I've stayed here a couple of times and had good experiences: Key Largo Hotels & Resorts | Ocean Pointe Suites | Tavernier & Florida Keys Oceanfront Resorts

I tend to dive with Conch Republic but have also dove with Silent World and Quiescence. For water temps, my bet is that they'll be in the 73-77 range and for marine conditions, my bet is it will be anywhere from flat calm to massive waves that will mean cancelled charters. Spring is one of those times of the year when conditions can vary significantly in Florida.

Wookie mentioned the Dry Tortugas and I took his boat (MV Spree) last May and had a great time diving for a long weekend in the Dry Tortugas.

Key Largo, Horizon Divers. Restaurants: Buzzard's Roost, Gus' Grille (Marriott), Conch House, Sundowner, Cheeca View tiki bar (Islamorada).

Key Largo. Horizon has great set up and so does Captain Slate and Ocean Divers.

Undoubtably the Dry Tortugas,
Dude, we'll have to agree to agree on this one. The Dry Tortugas are the best kept secret in the Keys. Pristine corals like they were when I was a kid still abound there pretty much untouched by human sewage and other garbage. Get there quick before we figure out how to despoil it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom