Where is it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Quero, you don't actually have to use your own photos, or have been to the location.

People have been good about not using Google image search so you can pull images from the web.

How about Krabi province?

Hey Quero, you don't actually have to use your own photos, or have been to the location.

People have been good about not using Google image search so you can pull images from the web.

How about Krabi province?
Yep. Krabi province. Now where in Krabi province?

San Carlos looks way cool, how is the diving? Visibility?
The diving is midrange Sea of Cortez diving. You'll often see Stingray's, occasional Octopii, Cortez Angelfish, Puffers etc. Not a lot of big coral though - it's a rocky substrate in most areas. In the summer, the water is 80+ - in the winter you need a 7mil or drysuit. The viz can be hit or miss - at times it can be 100'+ - usually when it's cooler.

San Pedro Nolasco - uninhabited small vertical island - is about an 1-2 hrs. away by boat (depends on the boat) and there's seal/sea lion colony there. As soon as a boat pulls up several of them hit the water and come to play. It's shallow up against the island so classes are often taught there.

Surprisingly they have about 6 dive operators and a fleet of 10+ boats. SC is where dive operators from Phoenix and Tucson go for warm water diving. Several have sister operations there. On a busy weekend there can be a hundred+ divers down from AZ since you can drive there in less than 1 day. Mostly carpool but one diveop will charter a bus when they can fill it.

The other interesting thing is that San Carlos sits just off a deepwater trench so there's bigger stuff spotted there. On the boat ride to/from the island dolphins are always seen - I mean every single time I've gone out there. There's a video on Youtube of an Orca playing in the wake of a diveboat - that was shot there. In October Scalloped Hammerheads school there before heading south. I've always managed to miss it but my LDS owner has seen them - he said there's thousands of them in an area just south of the island.

more info if you're interested - San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico Diving From Taos cut over on I-10 thru Tucson and down to Nogales. You can also cross at Agua Prieta. Then head SW to Highway 15 in Mexico and it will take you right to Guaymas. It's actually a pretty good road. I've also flown directly from Phoenix to Guaymas on USAirways Express, it's about a 20min ride to San Carlos from the airport. We stay at Marina Terra - it's a few minutes from town but all the boats leave from the marina there - the one in my picture above.

Maya bay is on Phi Phi Leh, yes?

All these cool looking locations around Phuket are making me think I have to get back there some time soon. Last time I was there I was catching a Liveaboard out to the Similan Islands so I did not dive the local spots. Next Time.

Maya bay is on Phi Phi Leh, yes?

All these cool looking locations around Phuket are making me think I have to get back there some time soon. Last time I was there I was catching a Liveaboard out to the Similan Islands so I did not dive the local spots. Next Time.
Exactly right on all counts:
• Maya Bay
• Koh Phi Phi Leh
• Desirability of doing a few dives from Phuket

This looks nice, name the region....
s1.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom