Where is my money going?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Darian Dunn

Reaction score
I have been told that dive masters & instructor don’t make squat. So, where is my money going?

Who is gets the money when I buy a PADI cert books?

How much of my money goes to instructors, renting the boat…?

When taking a boat dive, how much goes for dive master, captain, and boat rental?

Funny how you can go through life spending money and thinking you know where it is going until someone tells you wrong.

Thanks

First thing I'll say, is "it depends." Pay structures for DM's and Instructors vary widely. I'm not familiar enough with pay structures for boat captains to comment.

For a DM or Instructor typical pay structure goes someting like this:
An hourly rate of pay + tips, AND/OR
A commission on courses (flat percentage of course fee per student); AND/OR
A commission on guiding dives (flat per capita amount for each paying customer); AND/OR
A commission on retail gear sales.

Sometimes benefits, such as health insurance are available. In certain resort destinations, housing, round trip air travel, annual PADI dues, and professional liability insurance, and the BIG $$$ cost of a work permit may be covered.

For a specific example, one Caribbean based operator made this job offer for a PADI Instructor:
US$6.10/hour pay + tips (all tax free),
No commission on gear sales, courses taught, or guided dives,
80% of health insurance premium,
No air travel expenses,
No housing allowance,
PADI dues paid after 18 months service,
No professional liability assistance,
Work permit fully paid,
and match of my 5% (of wages + tips) contribution to a pension plan.
This works out to about US$12,000 + tips per year in my pocket to live on. Rent on a basic 1 bedroom apartment runs about $1,000 per month. You do the math.

So if 4 students each pay $300 for an open water class = $1200 total into the shop. Of that cost, about $200 covers the shops cost of books. About another $100 covers prorated depreciation of the rental gear. Course is taught by 1 instructor for classroom, and 2 for confined and open water, so staff wages come to something like $400. That leaves about $500 to cover basic overhead(shop rent + utilities), pool and facility maintenance, fuel for the boat, profit, etc... In the end, I'd guess that the shop realizes a pure profit of 25% ($300) in this example. Bigger classes are more cost efficient, smaller classes less so.

Drew,

Can you be a little more specific as to exactly what resort was offering that paypackage?

My information regarding Club-Med Instructors / Dive Tour Guides reads vastly different than that... Up to $80,000usd + Room and Board paid.

So there seems to be a huge disparity between those two figures. I would expect the numbers you quote to be typical of Northern places like working for a dive shop in NYC or such though.

I am Not challenging the veracity of your claims just looking for more information for comparisons.

Thanks,

Spydertek

Spydertek,
The shop I'm teaching for right now charges $225 for an OW course. That includes books and rental fees. Books cost them about $25. They pay me $90 per student. That leaves $115 to cover other costs and profit. They fully expect to make their money on gear sales. They figure that every student will purchase at least $200 worth of snorkeling gear, at a %50 margin, and that some will buy full gear.
I need at least 7 students to make it worth my time to teach a course. That gets me 16-18 dollars an hour for 35-40 hours.

As for DMing, when I DM on a local boat here, I make $75 plus tips; usually a $100 day. (What's IRS?)
:wink:

Drew is correct when he says that it depends on where you are. I really doubt, BTW, that Club Med pays 80 grand for instructors, but if they do, get me on it!!

Neil

Thank you for actually posting a usable figure. A quite a few people have asked these kind of questions here and usually get a lot of people answering with " we don't make anything" or " I divemaster for a can of cold beer after the dive" or something close to that. People who are asking these questions want realistic dollar figures attached so that they can see if this is something they may be interested in. Granted a person won't get rich doing this and they must do it because this is what they love to do. What I am saying is that even if it is what you really love to do, you need to know an honest amount to expect in order to see if it is feasable.

What you have mentioned as pay is well above what I make per hour. If I were interested in becoming an instructor, which I am not, this would be encouraging. I just wish more people were more honest in what a person could actually look forward to, or be dissapointed in.

Later, Hawk.

I'm a dive shop groupie at a LDS. An open water course costs $165.00/student. An instructor makes $45.00/student (no benefits, no commissions). After paying instructor, boat fees, classroom materials, filling tanks, heating the pool, an open water course is a give away. The shop expects to make money on equipment sales.

One of the shops employees works as a dive master on a boat in West Palm Beach duing the peak diving seoson in FL (May - September). He told me between salary and tips he can make upwards of $300.00/weekend. His room and board is covered also (ie he sleeps on the boat).

$165.00?! I had to pay $300.00 for mine and there was 10 of us to one instructor. I sure wish there were more options here locally.

Later, Hawk.

I used to be paid a bit less tha 1000$ a month (off season) and up to 2500$ a month on season. Depends on the anount of students i tought and dives I led. I will really be glad to know where I can get 80000$ a year?

It seems a bit imaginary to me, for a regular instructor.

Back
Top Bottom