Where to buy a bottom timer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jviehe:
Ok, then why a BT over computer? Is it just cost?

Because I prefer to make decisions myself.

There are a ton of threads on Scubaboard covering that very question. I'd rather not have this thread turn into another. I'm surprised you've been here since 2003 and haven't come across any.

Go over to the Decostop. Somebody is always selling one over there. It's where I got my OMS BT.

I might resort to that, but I was hoping to find one new.

I just decided to get a used nitrox computer that goes into gauge mode. s/b able to find one for $100 easy! had the following advantages over the bottom timer
-can be used as a backup computer on rec. dives if your primary dies
-battery is user replaceable, not so uwatec bottom timers
-cheap and readily available

just have to make sure you put it into gauge mode, otherwise it'll probably lock you out after a deco dive

I, and many buddies, use a Suunto Vyper in gauge mode. Used, they're cheap ($250 max), have user replaceable batteries, have a backlight (actually pretty worthless), fit Tobin's DSS bungee boots, and are downloadable (which I like). We've also found them to be extremely reliable. No complaints. I also have a Suunto Vytec (also in gauge mode) that I bought used on TDS for about $250. Actually like it a bit better (has seconds). Either would be fine and seem to be in the general price range of the Uwatec BTs.

Edit: You don't have to put these Suuntos into gauge mode more than once. Do it once, and it stays like that until you decide to change.

Edit: Sorry can't help much with the BT issue. I know a bunch of people diving D3s (or whatever just replaced the D3) who got theirs at Scuba Shack in CT. You could try calling them (shop owned and run my a GUE instructor).

just have to make sure you put it into gauge mode, otherwise it'll probably lock you out after a deco dive

This is exactly the problem.

"Make sure to put it in gauge mode" and "it might lock you out."

I'm not going to settle for something worse than what I have now.

All I'd like to know where, if anywhere, I can buy a simple bottom timer.

Thanks.

It would be sad indeed if Scubapro/Uwatec and OMS have simply stopped selling these. That can't possibly be the case, though can it?
From the OMS website (dated Nov 2007):
Effectively immediately OMS will no longer be able to offer or service OMS bottom timers due to discontinuation of the product by the Manufacturer. Any questions, comments or warranty issues should be directed to: Scubapro Technical Service

LOL! Ask a simple question...:shakehead:

My LDS sells them and they are very good to me. Jonnythan, if you want, PM me and I'll get you a price.

Back
Top Bottom