Where to buy a bottom timer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From the OMS website (dated Nov 2007):
Effectively immediately OMS will no longer be able to offer or service OMS bottom timers due to discontinuation of the product by the Manufacturer. Any questions, comments or warranty issues should be directed to: Scubapro Technical Service

That sucks.

Thanks for the info.

Watches don't give you depth and they don't automatically start counting your dive the moment you descend and stop counting when you surface.

All of the computers I know of that have gauge mode are expensive, have lockout modes, and have to be set in gauge mode all the time (or some combination of items above).

I don't want something that's "as good as" a standard bottom timer... except for a few things. I just want a bottom timer.

It would be sad indeed if Scubapro/Uwatec and OMS have simply stopped selling these. That can't possibly be the case, though can it?

Uh... watches do give depth. I dive a Citizen eco Drive titanium. It gives me the depth and remembers the last deepest depth.

Yes, you do have to look at it to figure out left-serface and reached-surface times. But, didn't you say you wanted to do it yourself?

I do agree, I miss my old Oceanic bottom timer. It made a really good back up for my Datamax Sport.

Uh... watches do give depth. I dive a Citizen eco Drive titanium. It gives me the depth and remembers the last deepest depth.

Yes, you do have to look at it to figure out left-serface and reached-surface times. But, didn't you say you wanted to do it yourself?

I do agree, I miss my old Oceanic bottom timer. It made a really good back up for my Datamax Sport.

Again, I do not want a device with less functionality or more ways not to work than what I already have.

Please, if you're not even going to attempt to answer the thread title, start a new thread :)

Good point Johnnythan!

I bought my OMS bottom timer from Dive Rite Express last year with the boot and bungee mount. I went to their site a couple of months ago to see if the price had gone up and now it isn't even offered.

I really like my BT and use it as a backup for my computer. The basic logged dives function also helps to verify data from my computer when logging at a later date.

I'll follow this thread to see if anyone can tell us if they are still offered in the states.

A used one is an option but since the batteries are not user changeable and they only have a certain "life" you would be rolling the dice buying a used one.

Any US ScubaPro dealer should be able to sell you the new Uwatec digital depth gauge:

UWATEC DIGITAL DEPTH GAUGE - SCUBAPRO-UWATEC

I have the previous version and it is stone simple to use - strap it on and get wet. You get depth, dive time and temperature as well as an ascent rate indicator.

Maybe the problem you are having is trying to buy on-line - why not go to the LDS and buy something from a brick and mortar dive shop?

Nearest dealer is an hour away.

I'm not going to drive that far to get one, and they charge MSRP for everything anyway.

Oh, and that shop insisted that they charge an extra $15 (on top of the $10 vis fee) to do a VIP+ on a brand new 13cf aluminum bottle. Needless to say, I refuse to do any more business with said shop because they're either terribly ignorant about their primary business or they're pure ripoff artists.

Next closest is almost 2 hours.

johnnythan - if price were not a factor, I'd suggest that the Citizen Hyper Aqualand would come close to meeting the requirement: Automatic (water) activation & termination, maximum depth, average depth, temperature, and start & end times. Built-in stopwatch function as well. Unfortunately, price probably is a factor, since you could buy at least two traditional bottom timers, with change left over. You could also buy a Viper, & put it into permanent gauge mode for the same price.

I thought all the bottom timers were made by the same manufacturer, and re-badged. Does anyone know if they are still being manufactured at all?

Because I prefer to make decisions myself.

There are a ton of threads on Scubaboard covering that very question. I'd rather not have this thread turn into another. I'm surprised you've been here since 2003 and haven't come across any.

Im well aware of the DIR view on computers, but I was wondering where a digital guage that automates some of your responsibilites fits into this. Youre right though, not the topic here.

Jonnythan, Hollis makes a bottom timer called Hollis DG01. Its a bit pricey and can be found on the net. The cool factor of it, it has user replaceable batteries, and a back light. Problem is, its a bit pricey. But there you go!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom