Where to buy BP/Wings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WillAbbott

Reaction score
Ok, so after some SERIOUS consideration for sometime, as well as seing some people in my club and talking to them about it, I'm very heavilly leaning to BP/Wings for my first BC (I know, hooray for me right? :)) Anyway, I'm not about to just go out and buy the things, most likely next month at the next club dive I will try one, 2 different guys have offered to let me try out one of thiers, so I'm going to take them up on it... From what I hear, there won't be any problem in me liking them :wink: (esspecially beinga new diver, probably makes me more easy to get to liking new things, as I haven't dove with a jacket BC for that long)

Anywho, assuming I will not hate it (sound's doubfull) once I get the money together (which if all goes well won't be too much longer, next few months at the most) I'll buy one. So... Where do I buy it? BTW I'm leaning to Halcyon, as everyone says they prefer Halcyon, and well a 36# Pioneer set-up runs about the same price I was going to pay for a Jacket BC originally.

So where do I buy it? One of my club members suggested a few places and the only one I found carried Halcyon was NorthEast Scuba Supply and they want $549 for the whole set up (36# pioneer, SS BP, harness, etc)

Now I'm in Oregon, or the PNW, so this would be mail-order...

My one thing is, is there a warranty issue with Halcyon like other places, would I have trouble getting it worked on or anything, SHOULD there be a problem? Would I be better off to buy it as local as possible, so if there was a problem I could return it easier?

For thoose familiar with Oregon or the PNW, according to Halcyon's site, theres Steve's Scuba in Millwaukie, OR (the only shop in the state, about 1-2hour drive one way for me), And in Washington theres, FifthD of course, Hoodsport N' Dive, Whidbey Island Dive Center, and Capital Divers.

So should I find a local dealer? or what...

Thanks

ask the local divers where they got theirs.

It sounds like you have people that can help you set it up, so getting it mail order shouldn't be a problem. You won't have warranty/repair issues if you stick to the big mail order places... EE, FifthD, etc.

The price is the same no matter where you buy it. You can sometimes find a deal on ebay.

Halcyon BP/Ws from EZ Scuba in Tampa FL. They were cheaper than EE...

Will,

Sent you a PM about source for your equipment. There are really no issue with warranty as all the Halcyon dealers will stand behind stuff, and I have found Halcyon to be good also. There is very little to go wrong with bp&w setup.

As I said, the source I gave you will setup the rig and let you dive it in back of the store, or down the road a ways. Maybe we can setup a dive together when you pick up your gear.

If you decide to go with the weight pockets, let me know before hand.

MD

The problem with Halcyon products is that Halcyon engages in price fixing like all the rest (they call it something else). I might look on E-Bay to get the wing.

As far as the BP goes, PM FredT (he's a member on this board). He makes quality BPs for less than the cost of a Halcyon.

You can set up the harness by yourself. But if you are more comfortable having Halcyon do it, then get their package. But, setting up the harness just takes a little patience. I'll try to dig up the link for instructions on assembling your own harness. Hope that helps.

Thomas

I have a question. I to have been thinking and doing a little research on BC/Wing setup. Have been diving for about 5 years now (not as much as I would like) but most of my trips have been in the Carib and some lakes and plan on doing some springs. I was looking at the 27# pioneer setup myself. Called Northeast and got a price quote of $449 for the setup. 2 things

1) What exactly is included in 'the package'

2) MechDiver, would you please share the info you gave Will on the equipment???

Thanx in advance for any info guys

chforte once bubbled...
I have a question. I to have been thinking and doing a little research on BC/Wing setup. Have been diving for about 5 years now (not as much as I would like) but most of my trips have been in the Carib and some lakes and plan on doing some springs. I was looking at the 27# pioneer setup myself. Called Northeast and got a price quote of $449 for the setup. 2 things

1) What exactly is included in 'the package'

2) MechDiver, would you please share the info you gave Will on the equipment???

Thanx in advance for any info guys

I'm not Northeast Scuba, but I'm guessing that you get:

SS BP w/ harness and hardware
27 lb wing w/ built-in STA

FYI, I prefer a seperate STA, but that's my opinion.

Thanks to Halcyon's "Fair Trade Pricing" policy, Halcyon wings will pretty much cost you the same regardless of where you buy them. The best you can hope for is free shipping, and Lloyd Bailey's is the only one I know of offering that, short of buying in person at a LDS. You're lucky to have several divers with this gear already that you know, so buying a non-Halcyon backplate and harness and having them help you rig it is also an option.

A 27lb wing runs for $278, a 36lb wing for $338. You can get a new aluminum backplate and harness for as little as $95.50 shipped from Gary Hoadley on eBay, and FredT on this board also sells backplates and harnesses.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom