Where to Dive in British Columbia?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Grateful:
I just saw this, as I hadn't visited this thread in some time. Thank you for a terrific post - really informative and lots of good links.
I'm going to plan a fall trip to BC and this will really help.

Oh, by the way ... I did go to Quadra Island, and it's everything Uncle Pug said it was. Earl runs a great charter.

The diving's mostly walls, with the exception of the HCMS Columbia ... sister ship to the Sasketchewan further south in Nanaimo. The walls are intensely beautiful ... completely covered in marine life to the point where you can't even place your finger anywhere without killing something. You have to be comfortable drift-diving, as the current through Discovery Passage is momentous ... and even diving "slack" is a relative term. Most of our dives had us drifting one direction for a while, then turning at slack (within a minute or two) to start our drift back in the other direction. Sometimes the current changes direction several times, depending on depth .... on one dive we actually changed direction five times during the dive and never stopped drifting.

I haven't yet been to Port Hardy ... at the extreme north end of Vancouver Island. But almost everyone I know who has says it's the best of the best. If it's better than Quadra Island and Barkley Sound, that makes it pretty darn spectacular.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

There is a new Charter Boat in Nanaimo. We just started last fall and everyone is happy. We run a 50 foot boat but only take six divers at a time 100.00 cnd gets two dives tanks weights and a hot homade lunch included. We only do one group per day and don’t care if it takes all day. Check us out at www.divingbccanada.com

kadrian:
There is a new Charter Boat in Nanaimo. We just started last fall and everyone is happy. We run a 50 foot boat but only take six divers at a time 100.00 cnd gets two dives tanks weights and a hot homade lunch included. We only do one group per day and don’t care if it takes all day. Check us out at www.divingbccanada.com

Looks great....Be talking to you soon.

regards; jbm

That's good news ... there's been a need for another dive charter since the Sea Kiss went down. And I'm sure there's plenty of business to go around even after Ed gets his boat back out on the water.

One question ... do the crew smoke? Only complaint I have with Ocean Explorers is that virtually all the crew are smokers, and when they're smoking on the boat there's no place to go to get away from it.

Most annoying for those of us who prefer not to smoke ... if I have a non-smoking option I'll take it.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

The crew consists of my wife Carolyn who is a nonsmoker and myself. I smoke but only on the top deck away from everyone. Or not at all the rest of the boat is a no smoking zone ardently enforced by Carolyn.
Ken Adrian
www.divingbccanada.com

JeffMandell:
Rodale's again this year lists diving in British Columbia as being amongst the greatest experiences in the world. But, they don't say where in B.C. and they don't suggest any dive operators. I'm interested in trying this during the summer and I'd appreciate any suggestions on where to go to dive and who to dive with.(And some description of what there is to see up there would be great).
Depending on time and money and the amount of experience you have.
Diving in B.C. is varies alot.
On a trip to B.C. I would suggest starting with the local dives arround Vancouver.
If time does not permit I would head straight to Vancouver Island.
I'll be in the area of Port Mcneil, Alert Bay and Telegraph Cove for two weeks from the end of July.
YOU and Non-divers will also see whales (of which I saw four types last august), porpise, seals, mabbe sealions, eagles and lots more wildlife. If your lucky on the drive or in the area are black bears, deer, racoons, pine martin, mink, beavers and if you go on a trip or sight seeing tour into the deep inlets you can see grizzlies!
In Port Mcneil you can dive with Steve from Sunfun divers. He is a cool guy and knows the dive spots and slack tides like the back of his hand which is good because where the currents are is where the most life is.

As other people have said the charters are all excelent and the sounds arround Vancouver Island and North are awsome.

kadrian:
The crew consists of my wife Carolyn who is a nonsmoker and myself. I smoke but only on the top deck away from everyone. Or not at all the rest of the boat is a no smoking zone ardently enforced by Carolyn.
Ken Adrian
www.divingbccanada.com
Let me put in a blatant plug for this operation. Ken and Carloyn have treated me like a king when I dive with them. They are great people.
For a no frills dive boat with a very technical appeal try
technically speaking http://www.tsdivecharters.com/

either one will treat you well.

cheers,

Back
Top Bottom