Where to dive / stay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

trey915

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am looking at a trip this coming spring and am deciding between Bahamas and Belize. So, since this is the Bahamas section I am looking specifically for some information about which island to stay on for myself and my wife. I am a diver and she is not. I have heard really good things about Bimini, but wanted to get some information from some of you who have actually been there. So, besides a recommendation for an island, where would you recommend we stay on said island?

We haven't been to Belize but have been to Utila off the coast of Honduras. We thought the coral was better in Utila vs the Bahamas but there are still some great places to dive.

We like Long Island and enjoy the diving there. The only dive op (Stella Maris Water Sports) is in the north. There are 2 resorts in the area, Cape Santa Maria and Stella Maris. There are also private homes for rent.

We have not been to Bimini yet but want to go and visit the shark lab there. I would definitely get some first hand info. There is a big controversy about the dredging going on there right now for a cruise ship dock. Do a search on Resorts World and Bimini Blue Coalition. Hopefully it has not negatively affected the diving there.

I havent been to any of the Bahamas islands except New Providence (Nassau).

If your wife isn't a diver this may be a good choice. There is a lot to do and a full range of choices as far as resorts go.

Diving with Stuart Coves is easy, they will pick you up nearly anywhere you stay, you can dive and get returned to your hotel quite easily.

Jeff

In the Bahamas we have stayed and dived New Providence (Nassau) and Exuma. The diving around New Providence was IMO not that great though we did get to see quite a few sharks. The diving in Exuma was better - blue holes, smaller intact wrecks. Comparatively the diving I've done in the Bahamas was not as good as anywhere else I've been. In fact it's last. Bear in mind I have not dived everywhere in the Caribbean.

There is not alot topside in Exuma to do for non-divers. There is snorkeling, the swimming pigs, golf course, some tours and the beaches were exceptional. Alot less people but harder to get to. We stayed at Sandals in Exuma but mostly used an off site dive op which I recommend if you want more diverse sites and bottom time. As of a couple of years ago there is only one dive shop and they are expensive. Taxi fares are outrageously expensive. Think about renting a vehicle. I have trip report on SB for this trip. There are other hotels on the island but again, less people and tourism in Exuma.

Nassau will offer much more to do for a non-diver. Nassau is loaded with hotels from budget to expensive so I will leave that to you. We stayed on Cable beach which is a nice beach. Overall I probably would not return to Nassau for at least diving. It has the typical cruise ship shops and a straw market which we did but I just hated it. We were mostly treated like sheep to be sheared. It's not my thing. Nassau as I recall has quite a few historical landmarks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom