Where to dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jscheier

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm going to be out in Cali in Aug and figured that I should venture over to Hawaii for some diving. Where is the best diving? I will probably be going solo, so I may want to do some other activities, but my #1 reason for going is the diving.

Thanks

J

Each of the islands has it's charm. For consistant good viz, minimal tradwinds making for all day diving, good healthy coral reef and structure with short boat rides or minimal swimming while shorediving, check out Kona on the Big Island.

+ 1 for Kona! Our favorite spot yet! We went to Oahu and The Big Island in Sep and by far the reef in Kona was amazing! You could dive the habor and see more fish then you would ob Oahu! But if you like wrecks Oahu is where to go.

I'm partial to Maui, mostly because you can dive 4 different islands from there (Maui, Molokai, Lanai, and Molokini). There are also gorgeous beaches and lots of things to do topside when you're not diving, plus there's good shore diving as well.

You do realize that Hawaii is a 5 hour flight from CA, right?

+ 1 for Kona! Our favorite spot yet! We went to Oahu and The Big Island in Sep and by far the reef in Kona was amazing!

I am interested in the location of the reef in Kona; is the reef in Kona where the boats are on Google Maps?

Kona, HI - Google Maps

Wikipedia:
In nautical terminology, a reef is a rock, sandbar, or other feature lying beneath the surface of the water (six fathoms or less beneath low water).

halemanō;6121542:
I am interested in the location of the reef in Kona; is the reef in Kona where the boats are on Google Maps?

Kona, HI - Google Maps

If you're talking that specific picture, the boat's aren't "on" a reef. They're moored in about 100' of water at private moorings at Kailua bay. There is a 48' ferro-cement hull, an old landing craft and a bunch of cement blocks at the bottom of the moorings down there somewhere, but not much else of major note. I've never taken the atlantis sub, it may get a view of any reef that might be down there. I've been to a couple of the blocks, the boat hull and the landing craft over the years, fairly short dives because of the depth.

[...] There is a 48' ferro-cement hull, an old landing craft and a bunch of cement blocks at the bottom of the moorings down there somewhere, but not much else of major note. I've never taken the atlantis sub, it may get a view of any reef that might be down there. I've been to a couple of the blocks, the boat hull and the landing craft over the years, fairly short dives because of the depth.

The landing craft (The Predator) sits on the edge of a coral reef that extends SW from Kailua Pier. The reef itself it typical (for here) finger
and lobe coral; I've scootered from the pier out to The Predator several times. There's a fair amount of manmade stuff down there as well --
old moorings, bits of boats, anchors, etc. The coral reef area isn't commonly dove because of the boat traffic and it's mostly between 50 and
70 FSW.

Further south / southwest from The Predator we run into that sailboat, known as The Naked Lady, which is sitting upright in sand at about 112 FSW.
There isn't much in the way of coral reef out there - the odd patch reef now and again. The most interesting stuff on The Naked Lady is actually on
the debris field to the NW of the wreck - lots of ambush predators - lionfish, leaf scorpionfish, the odd frogfish. I've seen whitetip sharks at both
wrecks from time to time.

The cement blocks are older moorings; we used to dive one that the floats had sunk on which was completely covered in ambush predators; great
macro dive but a square dive to 120 FSW. Eventually someone resurrected that mooring and all the life left.

As for the Atlantis Sub - take a ride sometime. I've run into it numerous times out there -- always get "the look" from the pilot about whether or
not I'm going to do something bone-headed like grab onto his sub -- but the ride itself is pretty cool. We had my 84 year old mother-in-law out
on it and she had a blast. I expected it to be hokey but it really wasn't. It's a real, live, submarine.

I'm partial to Maui, mostly because you can dive 4 different islands from there (Maui, Molokai, Lanai, and Molokini). There are also gorgeous beaches and lots of things to do topside when you're not diving, plus there's good shore diving as well.

You do realize that Hawaii is a 5 hour flight from CA, right?

5 hours is a lot closer than 12.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom