Where to find good diving + great hotel in the Caribbean and Americas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

csky217:
Thanks so much for all the great advice.

After some more reading, it seems like underwater visibility in T&C is generally amazing (close to what you get in Cozumel)? Do I have it right that Grand Cayman tends to have somewhat less visibility?

Again, thank you all for the input! For all my attempts to convince my parents to rough it (relatively), I foresee this information becoming very useful.

Since I've been to GC many times and TC only once, I'm not sure I can give you the answer. I will tell you that the viz when I was at TC was around 80ft. with a goodly amount of particles in the water. I have never experienced that many particles while diving GC,Brac, or LC. I have had worse viz on all three but never had that much particulate. I'd say the viz was a toss up with the best on LC. T&C has a chance for more pelagics than the Caymans. The Caymans have a much more colorful sponge life

Turneffe Island Lodge in Belize is first class if you take one of the private cabanas. The resort itself struck me as rather "Hemingway-esque" in it's style. Yes, it is remote, therefore there will be no nightlife other than what you make. The beach is wonderful and your mother has the luxury of looking out into the ocean or down the beach and not seeing a soul in the middle of the day. (they will all be out diving or game fishing)

I've got pictures of the inside of the bungalow if you are interested. PM me and I'll give you the link to my picture site.

Most of the good options that I know of have been covered. One other idea that comes to mind would be Palm Island Resort or Petit Saint Vincent Resort in the Grenadines - disclaimer I have not been to either yet but heard good things, and have not dove there but also hear good things. (Go and write us a trip report. :wink: Will be more trouble to get to than somplace like Cayman or Provo though, and price similar to Ritz. Similar idea to Young Island (which I have been to,) they are a rustic sort of luxury very diff from a Ritz or Hyatt, which may or may not be the type of thing your parents would like.

Back
Top Bottom