Where to get a Halcyon HID 10W Light Head

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

(

scubanarc once bubbled...
There is a Stealthdive light head in the works which I'm sure will not have ballast problems, focusing wear problems and will not be a fortune.
Sweet - glad to hear Dan is working on such a project. Can you share any details like whether it's a test tube or enclosed design? I have one of his canisters with the old Halcyon 10W head - I'm not totally convinced that a test tube design is the best thing.

i find this hard to believe a cannister is a cannister you just scale it up or down to fit the battteries so nothing new about the stealth canister so why would Halcyon want to "buy prints"?

Berry at Halcyon was making one peice delrin cannisters and tops long ago but they didn't work well on big lites but it would be an obvious idea to revive for nihms

everyone in the lite game copies everyone else get used to it

scubanarc once bubbled...
A friend of Dan's showed them the cannister asked them if they wanted to purchase the prints and they said no because it would never work because it would be to exspensive. Well 2 months later the Helios or what ever you call it was born.

was that they said it wouldn't work and would be too expensive (e.g. they lied.)

Looking forward to the Stealth HID head... and will wait for it.

I am new to this forum, but not new to Scuba politics! When someone has an idea that makes people excited....others typically steal from it and call the product their own. Since the story from what I can tell has not been told in its entirety, lets us start from the begining for those who are interested.

Over 1 year ago, a prototype of the Stealth Dive Canister was brought down to cave country and initially shown and bragged about at Bill Renekers. Wayne, one of the few nice guys around asked to purchase this prototype because he was going on a live aboard the following week and thought it was the coolest thing he had seen to date. Bill at first sight of the cannister was very excited and wanted to know how he could get his hands on a large quanity of these to sell in his dive shop. Dan Scoville's name was mentioned as the creator and at which point Dan and Bill spoke about a dealership in Florida for the Stealth Light.

From the first conversations between Bill and Dan, an initial order was place and DJS Technical was born. Well at this point the prototype was being used and displayed in and around cave country and I can only sumise that Halcyon....Extreme Exposure caught wind and sight of this product and decided to go towards this style of cannister. Why not, just about everything in scuba has been adopted from some other disipline of every day life or from some small fry that can be had from. The only mistake if any by Dan was that he did not produce and deliver the cannister to Bill Reneker faster before it was copied and promoted by the bigger fish!

Dan Scoville and his Stealth Dive Cannister is without a doubt, a product that I have used and promoted with reverance where ever I go. I have used this cannister beyond 300ft deeper, penetrated caves for over a mile in and could go on with many other examples of its worthiness. The choice that Halcyon made to cut DJS Technical off from their light heads was THEIR choice and THEIR choice only. When someone feels threatened by someone, they react and so this is where we are today. No Halcyon HID light heads with STEALTH DIVE LIGHT CANNISTERS! What a shame!

For those loyalist to higher standards and routing for the small guy...stay tuned for a new and improved HID light head by STEALTH DIVE.

Are you beginning to wonder how I know all of this detailed information.....I am the one who introduced the prototype to Bill and Wayne over a year ago in cave country. And I can only say one thing, GO DAN!

Steve:doctor:

Hi Steve,

Welcome to the board. Glad you could set the facts straight on the origins of the Stealth canister - I've heard it being accused as a ripoff of the Helios design in the past, and vice-versa. So far mine's only been to 120', and the only problems I've had with it was the lamp deciding not to strike on one dive, which is now a known problem with the old Halcyon 10W design, and me breaking a test tube while reassembling the lighthead on dry land once - neither problem was related to canister, which itself is superb - definitely the envy of other divers on every boat I've taken it on. Hope Dan comes out with the new lighthead soon.

[edit]130', still no problems - will be a while before it goes deeper than this though :)

Thanks for the backstory, Steve. We're wonderful gossips on this board and any more nuggets you've got, we'll take! :D

Actually, I just got off of the phone with Dan, and in reference to Ben's question above about what type of light he's looking at producing, he confirmed that indeed it will NOT be a test tube design, like the old Halcyon 10W. He's planning Enclosed all the way, and with a quality level to match the cannister.

He doesn't have a specific timeframe for R&D or production, but it does sound as if he'd like to have a prototype within a month or so.

I'm rooting for him, and I'm hoping to soon be a customer.

Rick

Scubaroo once bubbled...
Sweet - glad to hear Dan is working on such a project. Can you share any details like whether it's a test tube or enclosed design? I have one of his canisters with the old Halcyon 10W head - I'm not totally convinced that a test tube design is the best thing.

inwater once bubbled...
I am new to this forum, but not new to Scuba politics! When someone has an idea that makes people excited....others typically steal from it and call the product their own. Since the story from what I can tell has not been told in its entirety, lets us start from the begining for those who are interested.

Over 1 year ago, a prototype of the Stealth Dive Canister was brought down to cave country and initially shown and bragged about at Bill Renekers. Wayne, one of the few nice guys around asked to purchase this prototype because he was going on a live aboard the following week and thought it was the coolest thing he had seen to date. Bill at first sight of the cannister was very excited and wanted to know how he could get his hands on a large quanity of these to sell in his dive shop. Dan Scoville's name was mentioned as the creator and at which point Dan and Bill spoke about a dealership in Florida for the Stealth Light.

From the first conversations between Bill and Dan, an initial order was place and DJS Technical was born. Well at this point the prototype was being used and displayed in and around cave country and I can only sumise that Halcyon....Extreme Exposure caught wind and sight of this product and decided to go towards this style of cannister. Why not, just about everything in scuba has been adopted from some other disipline of every day life or from some small fry that can be had from. The only mistake if any by Dan was that he did not produce and deliver the cannister to Bill Reneker faster before it was copied and promoted by the bigger fish!

Dan Scoville and his Stealth Dive Cannister is without a doubt, a product that I have used and promoted with reverance where ever I go. I have used this cannister beyond 300ft deeper, penetrated caves for over a mile in and could go on with many other examples of its worthiness. The choice that Halcyon made to cut DJS Technical off from their light heads was THEIR choice and THEIR choice only. When someone feels threatened by someone, they react and so this is where we are today. No Halcyon HID light heads with STEALTH DIVE LIGHT CANNISTERS! What a shame!

For those loyalist to higher standards and routing for the small guy...stay tuned for a new and improved HID light head by STEALTH DIVE.

Are you beginning to wonder how I know all of this detailed information.....I am the one who introduced the prototype to Bill and Wayne over a year ago in cave country. And I can only say one thing, GO DAN!

Steve:doctor:

Its great to see dan is gonna market his own light.I purchased my cannister from dan with the new style halcyon light head and have to say its a great combo.I am sure dans new light will be of high quality just like his cannisters and electronics.

Thanks for the excellent post also.It was very informative.tell dan were all rooting for him!!

How can I contact Dan for prices and for more info?
Any webpage? A phone number would be useful also....
Thanks....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom