Where to Go FIRST TRIP EVER

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A regular travel agent is not of much use to suggest dive travel. All they know about it is what the marketing stuff tells them, which is rarely accurate or useful. They will recommend Curacao over Bonaire because Curacao has a few more mass market places that are sold more often by travel agents, and is marketed to the mainstream more than Bonaire is.

Curacao and Bonaire are both great places to dive and the diving and sealife is similar in many ways, different in others. Both have lots of shore diving. It is quicker to drive to a lot of the Bonaire sites because there's a road along the coast close to many sites. On Curacao drives are longer and it can be trickier to find stuff, because the main road is inland much of the way with spokes out to the various beaches and coves. Many of the beaches on Curacao have small fees because they often have facilities like snack bars, bathrooms, lounges, and sometimes dive shops - unlike Bonaire where there's generally nothing. Curacao boat rides are usually pretty tame, but on average will probably be a bit rougher and longer than Bonaire. Both places have dive resorts where you can gear up at your hotel dock and jump in right there too, but more of those in Bonaire. Topside Bonaire is all pretty quiet and laid back. Curacao is much more populated and busy near the city, away from the city it's a lot like Bonaire. Bonaire is usually a little harder to get to but if you can get there without too much trouble I think it's one of the best choices for a first dive trip, especially if you get seasick. You can do lots of easy dives and get to immerse yourself in a dive culture.

The Florida Keys are a good starter destination but it's boat diving and the boat rides can be rough. My husband gets seasick and he can't deal without the patch there, something like Dramamine or Bonine was not enough for him. Calm is relative, I would speculate that what was called a calm day in NJ was still rougher than pretty much any day on Bonaire and probably many days in the Keys. I haven't been to Roatan but from what I know that might also work for you.

So you know you get seasick in certain conditions. Even if you go someplace that has lots of shore diving, it would be good to try some boat dives someplace calmer and shorter, in combination with whatever remedies you're willing to try, to start to get an idea of what you can deal with and what works for you. If you don't want to use any of the seasickness medications, there are a few other remedies people recommend such as (real) ginger and the wristbands. Lots of threads here on the subject. If you can't find a way to deal with seasickness it will limit your diving options a lot. You may get to the point where you want to dive some other places badly enough that you will start to be open to trying seasickness medications. Another thing is, you say you haven't flown? If you have problems on a boat, you may also have problems on a plane, and it could be a loonngg flight. Once you are sick, you might suddently be willing to try medication, trouble is you need to take them before you have a problem, well before you get on a boat or plane, doesn't work so well once you're already sick. So think about that too.

As a general rule all-inclusives and diving don't go together well so don't try too hard for that. There will be some places where you can get room/dive/meal packages if you want. And on a place like Little Cayman (which I wouldn't suggest for you this trip) most of the places are AI since there's no place much else to go. There's a couple in Roatan like Cocoview. There's some in Cozumel but you say you don't want to go to Mexico. But most of the classic AIs people usually think of (like Sandals or Beaches) aren't in the best diving places (there are none in Bonaire, one in Curacao.) And while they may say they include diving, usually it is very limited. Some places they don't take you to the better spots, they may limit your dive times a lot. It's often suggested that people staying at an AI like Sandals or Beaches look for an off-site operator anyway and not waste too much time with the "included" diving.

When I first read your post I immediately thought "Grand Cayman".

Dh and I dive there often and the +'s are that along with drop dead gorgeous dives, there's lots to do topside, if you decide you need a break. ( Since it's your first trip )

If diving was the sole reason for my trip, I'd go to Bonaire over Curacao. There are just too many sites too close together. Nice and easy..:D

DH and I will be there for 2 weeks July-Aug.

Thanks to all of you for the Great tips Specially oly5050user and Damselfish Very helpfull infos.

Im still considering Bonaire as my first choice, but ill be opening my mind to Grand Cayman
and start looking for hotels and flight prices.

Even though I get seasick I was willing to do one boat dive during my trip. I still don't like the ideal ,since it's like suicidal for me. This time Ill probably try Sushi ginger or something like that.
Like I said I'm much more of the Natural type. I rarelly take any kind of medecine, not even tylenol, which usually knock me down a bit. lol ! :)

If I was going to Grand Cayman, How shore diving work there ? with the hotel ? do I need a car ?
dive op ? what are my possibility cost involve ? If you have any hotel recommendation or place who can guide me for shore diving in Grand Cayman let me know

Thanks Again to all of you
Alex

I love Cayman but I wouldn't suggest it if you're not going to do boats. It's not a shore diving mecca like Bonaire where you just drive along and jump in the water anyplace. It's a place to do mostly boat diving and supplement it with some shore dives. Much of the shoreline is developed and private, for one thing. And along the most famous area, Seven Mile Beach, what makes it a good beach makes it a bad place to dive, sand for a long way out to the wall, too long a swim. There are a few hotels/dive shops that have shore diving on site, to the north and south of Georgetown and SMB. There are some other shore dives possible, but it's not nearly as simple as Bonaire nor as easy to find good information on. I think most are done much more by folks who live there, not visitors. Not to say you couldn't do this sometime, but probably not the best choice for your first dive trip.

So, you could go to Cayman, stay someplace like Sunset House and shore dive there all week (but IMHO it's kinda beat up and you'd get bored.) Maybe do some other shore dives (have to drive) at places like Eden Rock (also beat up), Don Fosters (no idea of condition), Turtle Cove (very nice), Lighthouse Point (new and sounds nice though also like it may not be not the greatest entry), Cobalt Coast (long swim to anything and gets blown out sometimes.) Maybe you can dive from the old Coconut Harbour or Seaview sites, not sure what if anything is going on at those. It's even possible to swim to the North Wall from a couple of those, but a long swim. The trouble with this plan is while you'll have some pleasant dives, you will have pretty much missed the best diving on Cayman and everything it's famous for. You can apparently shore dive some dramatic classic Cayman sites from the East End, but you're talking difficult entries and/or long swims in a remote area. And you might only be able to rent tanks for shore diving from one shop on the West End, other places are known for not allowing tanks off site (again, it's not Bonaire), so the logistics are a pain. So again, not something I would suggest for your first dive trip.

The travel agent is a idiot.

There may be reasons for Curacao to be your best choice but the answers you gave are not correct.

Well seems like Bonaire is off the hook.
Here in canada best price I could found was $2200 at Sand Dollar with a full kitchen and car rental (10days). So Im expecting a total cost around $3000 pp with food, diving fees, and other.
My wife almost had a hard attack when I told her the price.
I just lost the contract on planning our Vacation.

She's now in charge and somebody she work with told her to go to cozumel.
Now she's changing her mind about mexico, I might end up there. She was told that boat dive travel are quite short 15-20min no more, and ocean is not that rough. Most hotels are AI and that most of the local reef (in front of the hotel) are quite nice. She got a whole list of different 4-5 stars hotel to choose from. the list was given by her work collegue who already tried them.
Price for cozumel if haft the price of Bonaire

So I guess Ill be dreaming of bonaire for another year. Im keeping all your suggestions.

Ill be dancing with cockroach in cozumel this April.

If some you have good infos about cozumel thing I should avoid or look for I would really appreciate.

I guess Ill miss bonaire :(

Alex

Here in canada best price I could found was $2200 at Sand Dollar with a full kitchen and car rental (10days). So Im expecting a total cost around $3000 pp with food, diving fees, and other.

Now she's changing her mind about mexico, I might end up there. She was told that boat dive travel are quite short 15-20min no more, and ocean is not that rough. Most hotels are AI and that most of the local reef (in front of the hotel) are quite nice. She got a whole list of different 4-5 stars hotel to choose from. the list was given by her work collegue who already tried them.

So I guess Ill be dreaming of bonaire for another year. Im keeping all your suggestions.

If some you have good infos about cozumel thing I should avoid or look for I would really appreciate.

Alex

Yes, Cozumel is cheaper but since you are a newer diver it won't matter that Bonaire reefs and diving in general are better.
Cozumel has lots and lots of hotels that are not AI but most of the bigger ones are All-inclusive. Prices there range from dirt cheap for small hotel rooms to $$$$$ for big resorts. All reefs are 5-20 minutes from docks depending on where you stay. All dives are drift - you fall off boat and drift with current then boat picks you up at end of dive. Most dive ops only do 2 dives per day, sometimes an afternoon dive if enough people sign up, night dives a few nights per week. Downtown is fun and full of restaurants and shopping but far away from almost all of the AI's so you will need to rent a car to visit them. Most hotel packages include the diving, some don't. All big resorts have a dive op in house but you don't have to use it unless it is part of your package.
If you can, order this map before you book:
Cozumel map
it shows where everything is on the island including all the reefs.

I still think Bonaire is waaaay better diving, but you will have a great time at Cozumel too.

robin:D

Alex

I sent you a pm on prices to Bonaire out of Newark..Much less than the $2200. you were quoted at Sand Dollar.Remember it includes airfare-hotel for 8 days 7 nights-diving on day or arrival -Saturday-to Friday-thats 7 days of diving-rental car-breakfast-nitrox-unlimited shore dives-6 boat dives,50% off at hotel restaurant/bar. If you break it down at 4 dives a day(thats being conservative-many do 5 a day)thats a total of 28 dives.At the price I quoted you thats like $60. a dive.
Mexico you pay for the dives on a per boat run basis.So add $75. per day to your budget for a 2 tank dive there.At 7 days of diving thats $575. for only 14 dives.You may be able to package a weeks worth of diving a little less if you prepay.
The all inclusives at Cozumel are not cheap,and do not include the diving and no rental car..Figure an all inclusive can be about $500.per person more than staying at a place that is not.No way you will spend $500. on Coz going out to eat. On Bonaire we get a few things at the market to put in our kitchen(most llikely will not have one on Coz) for lunch and munchies,maybe cook in one night.So if you spend $245. for food on Bonaire you are on the high side.
For someone who wants to get alot of dive time in -for the least amont of $-Bonaire
cannot be matched ..

I would say go to Key Largo. Pennecamp State Park has fabulous coral & tons of fish (since it's protected) & you can see all this in 20 ft. of water.

I've stayed at Captain Don's Habitat on Bonaire as well. It's good diving & no boat needed but will be more expensive than the Florida Keys.

The Caymans are awesome but so bloody expensive.

Cozumel is always excellent diving (but deep) & you're going to be on a boat for awhile to get out to most of the good reefs. However, it's affordable. I went for my 3rd time in August & got a package deal w/ Scuba Club Cozumel. It was worth it.
Good luck!

oly5050user, I know you gave me a better deal then my TA only thing is that I must drive from Montreal Canada to New Jersey. Also My wife Dosent like the Idea of been 2 couple per condo. She wants more Privaty. Deal was good but I could not convince her to spend more then 2000$ for the trip and she found some 4 stars AI in Cozumel for 1300$ including some boat dives and unlimited shore dive.

I didn't know Cozumel was deep dive. I guess I must take this under consideration since we are not advance diver yet
I go take a look at key largo diving.
There also Cuba I think "Maria la Gorda" could be a nice diving spot. Only think, I dont seems be able find some recent reviews about hotels or diving. Also Playe Giron "Bay of pigs" has some nice shore diving apparently but again not many recent infos

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom