Where to Go FIRST TRIP EVER

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oly5050user, I know you gave me a better deal then my TA only thing is that I must drive from Montreal Canada to New Jersey. Also My wife Dosent like the Idea of been 2 couple per condo. She wants more Privaty. Deal was good but I could not convince her to spend more then 2000$ for the trip and she found some 4 stars AI in Cozumel for 1300$ including some boat dives and unlimited shore dive.

I didn't know Cozumel was deep dive. I guess I must take this under consideration since we are not advance diver yet
I go take a look at key largo diving.
There also Cuba I think "Maria la Gorda" could be a nice diving spot. Only think, I dont seems be able find some recent reviews about hotels or diving. Also Playe Giron "Bay of pigs" has some nice shore diving apparently but again not many recent infos

Cozumel has a variety of dive depths, from very deep to shallow. Some of the best are in the 80' depth range which is fine for most divers. Shore diving - yeah, the resort may say free shore diving but honestly the shore diving in Cozumel is not good, especially after the hurricane. If you are looking for the best "deal" as far as cost, Cozumel is probably the best you will find.

robin:D

oly5050user, I know you gave me a better deal then my TA only thing is that I must drive from Montreal Canada to New Jersey. Also My wife Dosent like the Idea of been 2 couple per condo. She wants more Privaty. Deal was good but I could not convince her to spend more then 2000$ for the trip and she found some 4 stars AI in Cozumel for 1300$ including some boat dives and unlimited shore dive.

I didn't know Cozumel was deep dive. I guess I must take this under consideration since we are not advance diver yet
I go take a look at key largo diving.
There also Cuba I think "Maria la Gorda" could be a nice diving spot. Only think, I dont seems be able find some recent reviews about hotels or diving. Also Playe Giron "Bay of pigs" has some nice shore diving apparently but again not many recent infos

thats ok..the set up at the condos affords alot of privacy though as each bedroom is isolated from the others and has its own private bathroom,you do not even know there are other people there,you basicly only share kitchen facilities. ..The shore diving in Coz is really not worth the effort to get wet..mostly sand.everything is boat.if there is other shore diving there worth it I have not seen it..I looked into Coz and for 8 days it cost more overall than Bonaire does for an all inclusive with less dives overall ( 2 dives a day in Coz vs. 4/5 a day on Bonaire),and that is with my RCI timeshare rates..Have fun in Coz and let me know how it went..If you did get good rates I would like to know and consider going back there..

Well I just did Bahamas,Cozumel, Thailand, Maui and Grand Cayman in the past 18 months.

Id definately say Coz over Cayman, the Caymans are way overrated and WAY too expensive. The diving was decent. Nothing super spectacular. Viz was a constant 60ft most of the time.

Bonaire is our next trip we plan to do, we might do Caracao at the same time. Cant wait!

For the $$$$ id say Cozumel and also hit up the Cenote Dives in Akumal. Thats a great cheaper trip.

I am surprised no one has mentioned Roatan, Honduras. You can get an AI, for $850.00 a week at the Reef House. The reef is 50 feet off shore and the wall is 100ft. 3 boat dives a day and unlimited shore dives. There are many great deals down there. It is a 3rd world country and is rustic but it is inexpensive and great diving.

Bruce

I am surprised no one has mentioned Roatan, Honduras. You can get an AI, for $850.00 a week at the Reef House. The reef is 50 feet off shore and the wall is 100ft. 3 boat dives a day and unlimited shore dives. There are many great deals down there. It is a 3rd world country and is rustic but it is inexpensive and great diving.

Bruce

How is the topside activity and the crime?

I guess it depends on where you stay. Most of the resorts are just that, you go, you stay and you leave. Are you going on the trip to dive or party? Most of these places cater to divers, but I suppose if you were interested in rolling a couple of tourists, you could.

volks_r_us,
I vote Bonaire. Wish I did that on my first trip-well maybe not- wouldn't have gone anywhere else. The diving isn't the best but its very good. The best is the diving freedom, to dive how you like and or to discovery that.
there are alot of alternatives price wise on the Island. I won't worry to much about the sharing of accomodations. you'll spend most of your time outside or away from the room IMHO. Don't know "oly5050user" but that would seem like a great way to experience Bonaire for the first time. If you're prone to sea sickness I can't see Cozumel as a viable choice. Great diving, great price but you gotta do the boat.
regards,
Bob

"oly5050user" Offer is good but sharing Accomodation is not the main Problem. Not even the Driving trip from Canada to Newark. Our week of vacation is not the first or sec of May.
Or vacation is in April second week of April. That's it's not gonna work this year.

I got a new TA. She's a Diver and went 7 times to Bonaire + many other dive oriented destination.
I'm now sure I'm in good hands. She precisely know what I am looking for. no boat or no rocking boat short Ride, Or shore dive And no Schedule. Im in vacation I don't want a dive schedule I want to do whatever I want when I want.

I let you know how it ends. She mention a few destinations. The Keys, Bonaire, Dominican Republic, Roatan, Cozumel, Belize and maybe more I don't remember. She think she can get me better deal for Bonaire, Will see what happen.

I see you are getting lots of advice. One thing to keep in mind is if you are going to try some boat diving, find out before you go how long the average ride is. We were in Fajardo, Puerto Rico which has some nice diving but most boat rides were 45 min. Roatan's boat dives are usually very short. Also, Key West had fairly long rides. Have you tried the wrist bands you can buy at Shopper's Drug Store for motion sickness? They don't work for everyone but they work for me. Also, Gravol has a type of antinauseant called "Natural Source Gravol" It only contains ginger in pill form and can also be bought at Shopper's Drug Store.

RiftValley84 You might be on something there. I never Tried any of those anti motion sickness agent. The wrist band could be a nice option. Those Natural source Gravol too. Ill Make sure I bring the Wrist band and the pills with me.
My TA is looking for a destination with short boat dive and flexible agenda Ill get more informations in the beginning of next week.

Ill keep you guys inform

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom