Where to go for a week of...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mrwinc

Reaction score
I'm trying to decide where to go for a week (7 to 9 days or so) for a honeymoon. I have less than 50 dives. she just got her C-card last month. We are doing our first dives together (other than in a quarry) next month at key largo. I'd like to spend at about 4K for both but more likely going to end up spending 5K or 6K. No Date is set for the wedding and it will probably revolve AROUND this trip....

What I'd like to experience is something quiet, native, secluded, and relaxing. I'll define those qualities.

Quiet is that I'd like there to not be dozens and children and spring breakers running around.

Native is that I can imagine sitting in our room or on the deck of our room which would be located on or adjacent to the ocean. Bamboo thatched hut, etc.. etc...

Secluded could be taken in a way that at least at points I'd like for me and her to be the only people we hear/see.

Relaxing.... I'd not care to be nickel and dime to death. I'd not care to be on a strict schedule. An American meal plan.

I am not too concerned about the diving quality since the most I've seen are jelly fish and your local friendly quarry wildlife. Any water that is warm and carefree is good for me.

I have heard on here and read about CoCo, Anthony Key's Resort, DiveBuddy.

I initially thought about a liveaboard but my future wife gets car sick easy and I'm afraid she wouldn't enjoy a week long purge session (nor me with her). I'd like to have this 'trip' this fall or early winter.

I put myself in everyone's hands. If any questions about my desires just ask and I'll chip in

Hey there, here's an idea:

http://www.divelittlecorn.com/

I haven't been there (Nicaragua), but I heard some people from my local dive shop speak very highly about it, especially since it is so cheap...I'd like to check it out someday soon too. $17 a night certainly fits my budget!
Don't know Spanish though, but it might not matter.

Have a blast wherever you go! And give your fiancee some Bonine if she gets seasick...that stuff works miracles for me, the Queen of the Yaks!!!! I hear ginger helps too, but have never tried it.

P.S. I would also stongly recommend Fiji. I've been there (Savu Savu). It would be quite a bit more expensive for you, but ooohhhhh, so worth it. Absolute paradise.

exactly what you're looking for

Sounds like you are looking for Bonaire. Just got back from there, 4th trip and am already ready to go back. The island is small, uncrowded, super diving- very good for new divers, not too expensive, the people are wonderful, great food, some really nice resorts and no spring breakers or wall to wall street vendors. There are plenty of stores and restaurants however. It usually cost us some where in the $1000-1200pp USD plus air (about $650 from here in NC) for 8 days/7 nights in a 2 br condo with 4 of us, rates will be a little higher for just 2 but not much. This includes everything but if your food taste are expensive, you can run this up a good bit. A big bar bill will also run up the cost, mine usually consists of a 6pk of Amstel so it's not bad for me. I will be happy to give details if you like. Drop me a PM and I have a lot of pictures that I will be happy to share. This is where we stay www.buddydive.com
Also, check out www.bonairetalk.com

Thanks for the suggestions. I hadn't seen most of them. I'll add them to my list of possibles.

O... Will liveaboards have bugs? like sand fleas and no see ums?

Scuba is very tiring to me since I'm not in the best of shape. It will also be tiring to my partner. Resting and louging around will be a big thing we will do. I REALLY hate moving scuba equipment.

This is one of the fewest recreations that I can think of that you spend so MUCH time in prep and break down for just 20 minutes of actual down time. I'm not complaining about it cause it is well worth the time and effort. I just find it humerous that we spend alot of time and money just going to and from to do dives.

I've grown to think of scuba as a very sorry attempt at drowning oneself.

Our dive times in Bonaire last week averaged 55 to 75 minutes and we usually had 800-900 psi remaining. At average depth of 30 ft or so you can get in lots of time on an AL-80.

I would suggest CoCoView Resort on Roatan Honduras. When you get to the boat, your gear is there and set up. All you have to do is grab your mask and fins from your locker and your wet suit off the line. Both are right behind the boat. The divemasters will go with you on the dive and point out sea life etc. You can dive deep or shallow. Most dives are along a wall to start followed by a return to the boat on top of the reef in shallower (25-35 ft.) water. After a surface interval with orange slices and water, you can do a drop off dive right in front of the resort with a wall followed by a wreck and then into shallow water right to the front door of the resort. If you don't want to do the drop off, you just stay on the boat for the return to the dock. After lunch there is plenty of nap time before the afternoon dives which are a repeat of the morning procedure, a dive with a divemaster followed by a drop off in the front yard of the resort. You can dive as much or as little as you like.

Cay Sal is the best for the diving, but no accomodation exists except liveaboards.

Check out Small Hope Bay Lodge on Andros in the Bahamas for an affordable, special and VERY laid back honeymoon. Most of the Bahamian out islands will run in your price range for a week's lodging and diving for two.

Remember that the harder it is to get to a Bahamian island, the better the diving and less of a "rape the tourist" attitude you'll find. Avoid Nassau and Freeport if you have the chance, unless of course you insist on the gaming and nightclubs.

Personally on a honymoon I'd prefer to deal with a hot tub and ALL the stars of the Milky Way with no ambient light pollution.

FT

Manta Resort is probably a great choice to meet all your requirements. I would avoid Bonaire, because most of the good diving there is shore diving, which would require lots of moving scuba equipment. Coco View is another good choice except possibly for the privacy and bug/noseeum issues in regards to laying around. Another possible choice would be Cayman Brac or Little Cayman. There are numerous resorts located "on the beach" although most are more modern than "thatched huts". Most dive ops practice what is termed "valet diving". That means you put your gear in a bag at the beginning of the week, set it up once on the boat, and from that point on, you rarely touch it when you are out of the water after that. At Reef Divers (LC or CB), when entering the water, you get up and sit at the back of the boat...your gear is brought to you, and they assist you putting it on, and then they help you stand up and in you go. Same routine getting out as well. I think some of the other operators do the same, but Reef Divers is the only one I am sure about. Several resorts have complete meal packages available, and all are priced easily within your budget.

Feel free to IM me for more info on my experiences there, and good luck picking a location!

AggieDiver

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom