Where to go for backpackers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stiffany

Reaction score
This is a really general question, but stiffany and I (her boyfriend) have been kicking around where to go diving soon and we're really indecisive about it. If anyone would like to help us, thanks in advance! I'll tell you a bit about ourselves so you get a better idea of what we're looking for.

We're both graduate students, which means we're pretty much broke all the time. I've travelled several times to Western and Central Europe and Latin America (Guatemala, Honduras), but always by backpacking and always on the cheap. We both speak some Spanish, so it was no big deal for me to do things like travel much of Guatemala by myself. My first time diving was to get my Open Water cert. on Utila this past march and I loved it. We stayed and dived with Alton's for a week, which had its plusses and minuses, but honestly I think Utila is possibly my own vision of heaven. The diving was fantastic as far as I know (if a little cold) and the island was friendly and affordable. We also spent a few days on Roatan, and I especially was very unimpressed. I felt like we stepped up 3-fold in price and down in quality. Sure, the island was prettier and there was more snorkeling available, but I don't think I would go back unless I got a real job and could afford AKR or something.

So with all that background, here's the question. Where should we go for 2.5 weeks including advanced water certifications in the end of August/beginning of September? We've ruled out Asia to some degree because the flights are going to be well over $1,000 each, though I would really like to go to Thailand. Most of the spots we're looking at are in Latin America, though we're also considering some Carribean islands, Mexico, or Eastern Europe (Croatia). I would love to go back to Utila again, but it seems too soon since we just went a few months ago and I'd like to see more of the world (maybe?). Ideally, we're looking for lodgings under $20/night for the two of us without killer airfare from the east coast. Obviously, this doesn't get us creature comforts and honestly I don't mind.

To be more specific, does anyone have any input on spending 2.5 weeks on big and little corn island? Is it as safe as the other places and as easy to get to as Utila (we took the mainland route and ferry to/from Utila)? What about Caye Caulker in Belize? Would that vibe be like Utila's vibe? Maybe some of the places on the Mexican Mayan Riviera (I know, separate forum, but it's not that far!)? What else am I not thinking about? I do tend to get ancy if I sit in one place for too long, so I don't want to be too remote (other islands in the area I could jump to or mainland activities), but at the same time I don't want to be anywhere real touristy.

Thanks!
Eric :D

Ha Ha, I can see it coming...a couple of years from now you guys are instructors working in Thailand and thinking about going back to Utila to find work and revisit the place it all started. :D

Utila is probably hard to beat as far as good prices and good people on the Latin America backpacker circuit. I went to Big Corn Island in '98 and although I'm glad I went I don't think think the Corn Islands really compare to the Bay Islands from a diving perspective. It was REALLY quiet when I was there with not much to do except walk around the island and read books. The couple of people I have talked to who have dove at Little Corn where not getting too excited about it. As far as safety, no more or less than average from a backpacker perspective. But I would also love to hear other viewpoints on that area, in case I'm missing something.

Have you considered or heard about the diving in Columbia? Specifically San Andres Island, or Taganga Beach close to Santa Marta. I have not been but have heard good reports about the diving and it has been on my list for a number of years. And Malpelo Island sounds very good, although liveaboards ain't cheap..

Really though, I think Utila is still your best option if you are looking for training and the "dive lifestyle" with a empty wallet.

At least, until you make it over to SE Asia. :mostlysun

How about Pacific Costa Rica?

Here's a link to Glover's Atoll Resort where I got my OW Cert in 2003. It's VERY rustic (no elec or running water) and it's definitely NOT a resort, but we absolutely loved it out there - world class diving and snorkeling from shore. Cost ranges from $100-$250/week per person (camping, dorm, beach cabin, over-water cabin options) including the 40 mile boat trip out and back, food extra (but we did all our own cooking). The diving will be a lot more expensive than Utila, though.

http://www.glovers.com.bz/

Hope you find just what you're looking for and grace us with a travelogue when you get back home!

If you're talking Caribbean, then Utila - reputed to be the "best value" diving in the world. After that Thailand and some places around there. Then the Red Sea, so long as the Muslim extremists aren't being uppity. Don't forget the cost of getting to these places.

Dollar for Dollar and putting the airfare aside (if you are coming from N.A.) The Philippines can rival Utila for value and quality of diving. OK, Utila is a bit cheaper if you do the 10 dives for US$200, but I'm rather pay US$24 for a dive (less if more dives) and see alot more!!!! Don't get me wrong though, I loved Utila and Gunther's Dive.

Check out Alicia's BnB in Cozumel. At $25 per night it is a bit more than you indicated, but includes a full breakfast for 2. http://aliciasbedandbreakfast.com/ Food there can be quite reasonable if you go where the locals do.
Diving there can be pretty reasonable if you buy packages of 10 dives or more. I used Dive with Martin http://www.divewithmartin.com/ and their package of 10 dives with a free night dive and a free underwater video of one of your dives ran $255. That works out to be about $23 per dive plus the video and compares pretty well with Utila's prices. Diving with them was great and they do offer free shore dives while you are diving with them.
I understand that taxis have gone up a bit, but are still reasonable. Check out my travel report at http://scuba.royalcs.com Unfortunately I did not include a lot of pictures of Coz, but there is a bit of info there.
For a really cheap and fun dive trip, Utila is a hard act to follow, but the lower airfare deals to Coz might make a difference. Also consider that you can fly into Cancun and take the bus to Playa and the ferry to Coz and perhaps save as much as $50 per person, more if you find one of the specials. That's an extra day of diving!

Utila is definitely the most backpacker friendly place in the Americas. How about free housing for dive master trainees? Lots of instruction available in an environment where their business is built around teaching diving.

Back
Top Bottom