where to go for great diving + exploring?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Virgogirl22

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My boyfriend and I are trying to figure out where we should go to spend a week in early December to do a bunch of diving and get a dose of culture at the same time. We've done the dive-your-brains-out thing for the last couple trips, so this time we want to be able to do some hiking, exploring, etc... as well. But we're unsure where to go. Since we will be in Florida the week before, the Caribbean/Central America would be convenient. We don't want touristy spots (Coz/Caymans/etc) and have been to Roatan, Belize, Jamaica, Puerto Rico. So far, places I've been thinking about include Costa Rica (but not amazing diving from what I've heard?), Panama (mixed reviews on the diving there too), Saba (sounds amazing if we're ok with no beaches!), Dominica, Turks & Caicos, and Guatemala. There are so many places to go! If you have any recommendations, please let me know! Thanks so much :)

Cancel that, we've decided on Saba - thanks! I'll do some research before I post any questions about it...

Be sure to post a report when you get back. My wife and I are going to SABA the first week of March and have heard great things about the Island and the diving.

I've done both, though only on Dominica once and Saba about 10 times. I agree that Saba is incredible (including the air plane ride over and back), with some of the best diving around. You may want to check with Lynn at SeaSaba for other info. The only hesitancy I have, is that a week on Saba may get to be too long. There really isn't that much to do above water after a couple of days. One other possibility is to break the trip up, and spend a couple of days on 'Statia as well. Close by, similar diving- also very good- and different historical precedents.
If I can answer any questions, feel free to PM me. DD

The only hesitancy I have, is that a week on Saba may get to be too long. There really isn't that much to do above water after a couple of days.

Thats exactly what we loved about Saba.

Thanks guys! Yup, Saba it is, and we're super excited about it!! The diving sounds amazing, Juliana's hotel sounds ideal, and the island will be charming I'm sure. Between some hiking around to explore the island and doing a whole lot of not much, I think a week will be perfect. Thanks for your reviews!

The diving from Saba is super. The best dives are pretty deep, though. We were told that there have been instances where people have dived the deep pinnacles in the morning and hiked up Mount Scenery in the afternoon and gotten the bends from the combination of the exertion and the altitude of the climb. Fortunately I do not yearn to climb.

Juliana's is a charming little place. One thing we learned (and this is not a criticism of Juliana's) is to be sure to bring multiple swimsuits. The town of Windwardside is literally often in the clouds and nothing dries real well overnight!

Fabulous, thanks!! We will definitely be doing some hiking on non-diving days, and looking forward to it all. Thanks so much for your input - will certainly pack several swimsuits! I'll be sure to post a trip report when we're back.

Cancel that, we've decided on Saba - thanks! I'll do some research before I post any questions about it...

I can't speak for Saba; have yet to experience it. However, you must discover Tobago before ALL the tourists do. Stay at Jeffery's Guest House for a little bit of nothing if all you need is a clean place to lay your head at night, or the Blue Water Inn if you want more luxery and on-the-spot dive op. Many out-of-the-way beaches (I have actually spent whole afternoons on King Peters beach without another person showing up.) and a gorgous rain forest that was preserved since the 1700's to explore; a guide will cost you about 20.00---or do it on your own; the trails are clearly marked; don't miss Argyle Falls in the rain forest. The topography and flora are unbelievable especially during the rainy season. (It rains about 10 min. and is sunny and hot again.) The people are friendly and speak English (they haven't been trained yet to "money-grab" the visitors) and you can experience all kinds of culture in the hills, coastal area, or in the towns. Tobago is still relatively undiscovered, but in the last years, I see the press, and I feel that it may be heading in the same direction as Grand Cayman, Belize City, and Cozmel. In my time, I've seen these places go from quaint to crazy. To really experience Tobago, rent a car and adventure the island on your own.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom