Where to go in Jan/Feb

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tuckster

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My wife & I are planning a dive trip in Jan. or Feb & have several concerns. Where will the weather be the best ?? Choices so far are Aruba, Curacao, GC & Coz. We are both rookies (just got certified) & would like to do shore dives as well as boat dives. I've read that GC & Coz can be a little rough & windy that time of year.
Would also consider Jamaica, Playa, or DR but have read the diving isn't as good.
Thanks for any comments/suggestions.

If its a dedicated dive trip then there are really only two choices on your list: GC and Coz. If money is a concern then there is only one choice: Coz. If money is not a concern and you really care about the diving above all else then head over to Little Cayman. You will not be sorry.

Is there a reason you have not included Bonaire and the Bay Islands amongst your choices? Bonaire is the premiere shore diving destination in the Caribbean and CocoView Resort on Roatan has what I consider the best "house" reef/wreck shore dive you can find anywhere. Check out Roatanman's posts on this board for detailed info about Roatan and CocoView in particular, go to Bonaire Talk
(http://www.bonairetalk.com/cgi-local/bbs/discus.cgi?pg=topics) for Bonaire information. My own future trip plans include Bonaire in November, a week at CocoView at the end of January followed immediately by a second week at Laguna Beach Resort on Utila early February. Weather should be fine in Bonaire for both January and February, and the rainy season ends in the Bay Islands about the middle of January.

Bonaire would be my choice.

I love Cozumel, but last December we were shut out of two days of diving due to nortes (winds that forced the harbor master to close the ports). Next time we will go to Coz--hopefully next year--in late spring or summer.

Bonaire is great for shore diving. Do check out the bonaire talk web site. We stayed at Deep Blue View; it was just about perfect. Menno, the owner, includes boat dives in the dive package. If you find a decent airfare, consider Boanire.

Hope this helps,

Alan

For a new diver I would have to agree on Bonaire, next choice would be Curacao which is next door. Bonaire has much better shore diving and my wife and I enjoyed it much more.

Grand Cayman, not as pretty, reef is not as healthy. Wall diving may not be for new divers and Bonaire/Curacao would be more shallow and comfortable. Little Cayman would be better than Grand Cayman. Bonaire/Curacao is usually more protected from storms than GC...

Coz, haven't dove there yet but alot of drift dives, which again may not be as comfortable for new divers.

If it was me and I was a new diver... Bonaire. Spend the day or two in Curacao if you want, only a 15-20 minute flight if I remember right. Air Jamaica has decent flights to Bonaire.

Thank you all for the feedback. It really helps. I'm leaning toward Bonaire or CuracAo. Curacao has a Marriott which I can use points with which will help with the cost & my wife likes the nicer resorts.

Tim Ingersoll:
If its a dedicated dive trip then there are really only two choices on your list: GC and Coz. If money is a concern then there is only one choice: Coz. If money is not a concern and you really care about the diving above all else then head over to Little Cayman. You will not be sorry.

I'll agree with Tim on this one. Little Cayman, or not far behind, Cayman Brac are high on my list.

Aruba wouldn't be on my list as the diving in Curacao is much better.

Curacao (or Bonaire) for a first trip. Save GC for a later trip and possibly a different time of year. (better yet do LC.)

What I've seen of the Curacao Marriott is very nice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom