Where to go next year...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Byte Me

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've been searching and reading and hunting around on line trying to figure out where my wife and I should go next year.

Background - I dive, she doesn't (and won't). However she's cool with hanging out at the beach or pool while i'm underwater for a couple days. We've been to Playa a couple times, Tulum, going to Negril, Jamaica in a month. Typically we've stayed at Riu all inclusives, however, we're not against more modest accommodations. We went to the Our World Underwater show last winter and she was totally blown away by the pictures of places like Anthony's Key, Cocoview, and Belize.

I've read a lot about Roatan and it sounds great but my big question is would she have enough to do while I'm underwater and would WE have enough to do if I don't dive for a day. The places I've read most about are Cocoview and AKR but am open to suggestions.

Belize sounds awesome as well, may have more to do when not diving?!? Not too familiar with places to stay there so suggestions welcome.

Bonaire would be great as well but, again, enough for her / us to do outside of diving?

Any other places we should be considering (USVI, Turks, etc.). We're keen on staying in the Carribean mostly because flights from the midwest work out really well and maximize vacation time.

thanks!

I am a HUGE fan of the USVI's and St.John in particular. We went for a week last January and pent the week split between Maho Bay (more rustic) and Concordia (more up scale). Both are truly green resorts existing completely off the grid. Both have restaurants/bars, general store/previsions charter/dive shops on sight. You can take a taxi to Maho from the water taxi dock but need to rent a car for Concordia. We found that between sunbathing, swimming/snorkeling and bucket's of beer on the beach my wife had plenty of things to keep her occupied during the day. We even did a few charters where she came out on the boat for the ride and had a blast. Check out Maho.org - Two Green Resorts on St. John, US Virgin Islands (USVI) - Maho Bay Camps - Green Resorts on St. John, US Virgin Islands (USVI) for more info.

have fun,

Brian D.

Hi Byte...

Bonaire would actually be great. You could hit any one of the resorts on the water with a beach, Moderate price I suggest Eden Beach, High End, definitely Harbor Village. If your wife is a really laid back person, try some of the smaller resorts.

THERE IS A LOT TO DO TOP SIDE if you want. Some shopping, horseback riding, donkey sanctuary, butterfly farm (it's amazing), mangroves, hanging out at the beach at Atlantis and watching the kit surfers or try it...Sorobon for the windsurfers (it has a great little beach with bar and rustic restaurant. Also on Sunday try Lac Cai and have local food, listen to local music, check out the huge piles of conch shells (but don't take any..not allowed) and hang out at the beach there. How about blokart or land sailing? Its like a go cart with a sail instead of an engine, really cool. You could contact Hans at Outdoor Bonaire and go hiking, or cave snorkeling or exploring or what ever. Your wife could go out doing great guided snorkeling with Renee from Renee Snorkel Trips. If you come during a holiday time such as carnival or Bonaire Day, Rincon Day, Sinterklass, Christmas, New Year, Easter, Regatta, there are ALWAYS huge parties in town every night, great shopping in Wilemhina Park during "cruise season" (October - May), OMG...there is so much to do topside on Bonaire, I know I'm forgetting a lot...

Liz

Thanks for the replies! Bonaire is certainly high on the list, but next year we've decided to go to Roatan. Cocoview resort in April. The girl fell in love w/ the over water accommodations and I certainly can't complain about the diving opportunity!

Bonaire, USVIs, Camens - all still on the list for "someday"!!

Thanks for the replies! Bonaire is certainly high on the list, but next year we've decided to go to Roatan. Cocoview resort in April. The girl fell in love w/ the over water accommodations and I certainly can't complain about the diving opportunity!

Bonaire, USVIs, Camens - all still on the list for "someday"!!

Have you booked Cocoview for April yet? They fill up pretty fast during peak season and I think I read somewhere that most weeks were full already March-May. I would call them and check, or send an e-mail. :D

We are booked for CCV in Nov so we will post a Trip Report and photos and videos when we get back!:D

robin:D

Yup! Sent in my deposit - K8smate from the CoCoview board graciously invited us to join them for "dive camp" in April. We'll be there for a week.

Can't wait to read your report and see the pictures. My wife and I are going to Jamaica in two weeks, Negril. I'll get a handful of dives in just because I can but I'm not expecting PDC, Coz or Roatan. Have fun!

Do you have anything planned other than diving? Am thinking about the shark dive and my wife may want to go over to AKR and do the Dolphin thing. She wants to do a zip line as well!

:D Awesome!!! :D

We might do the shark dive but haven't decided yet. We have seen lots of sharks in non-feeding situations so we don't "need" to see them being fed. But other than that, I doubt we will do any topside stuff and we both are diveaholics. :D

robin:D

AKR certainly has plenty of non diving options, including the dolphins, both beach encounters and snorkeling. She may also want to check out the west end, lots of local shopping to check out.

As far as the shark dive goes, what was different for me was that we actually swam with the sharks, rather than just staying still and observing them. The feeding frenzy at the end for shark teeth was something else too.

I have the same issue. My wife wants to stay at a good place. Once you dive at any of the places I mentioned you will be spoiled in your diving and never want less. Turks and Caicos stay on Grace Bay, awesome beach and diving. We were just in Roatan and stayed at a beautiful new condo, Infinity Bay. Consider Grand Cayman or Cozamel.
If you have something for me to consider on that level, let me know since I need to plan for next year.

On Ambergris Caye Belize stay at The Tides and dive with the in-house operation Patojos. You can pay a great deal more but you won't find a better time, above or below the water. They prefer to dive the less well-known sites here.

Back
Top Bottom