Where to go/stay in the Bahamas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bobnelson0

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So I'm turning 30 in March and I am planning a vacation for myself and my family. Its the big 3-0, so I'm trying to get some bucket list items off my list which led me to the Bahamas.
Two of the bucket list items are:

1) Dive with a pod of dolpins
2) Dive a blue hole

Here is what I've learned: UNEXSO is is located on Grand Bahama and they offer dolphin dives (I'd prefer a wild pod instead of their trained pod... but oh well). Dean's Blue Hole is on Abaco, but there is another blue hole on Grand Bahama called Ben's Blue Hole, but I can't find much info on it.

My question is to all you Bahamas experts out there.
-As a diver, where would be the best place in the Bahamas to stay with these goals in mind?
-What about if these goals didn't matter? Where is the best OVERALL diving in the Bahamas?
-Are there any reliable places where I might encounter wild dolphins?
-What is a better dive: Dolphins or Dean's blue hole?

I'm also traveling with my family, there will be about 8 of us and only 3 of us are divers, so we need a place with good non-diver activites.
We also chose the Bahamas because they were central to everyone's traveling arrangements. Some of us coming from the west coast, some of us coming from England.
But if you know of any BETTER places, I'm willing to consider them.

Any advice?

Any advice?

Leave the non-divers at home and do a liveaboard.

Hope that helps.

Failing that, ease up on the immediacy of your bucket list. The "pod of dolphins" will come after enough dives. 10 Canned Dolphin Encounters can not compare to one fleeting glimpse of a wild pod.

A Blue Hole really isn't. Blue that is. It's more black or grey. It is however, a hole. There are certain Blue Holes that if visited on the precise moment in the day, might have some nice light and shadows, but that is highly dependent upon visibility, ocean condition and the clock. Otherwise, they are just a hole. Not rally all that big a deal.

Consider Belize. Do some research on your top two items and see how easy that would be. Much better diving and more of a laid back tropical environment for the landlubbers. Grand Bahama (actually Lucaya) that you refer to is a very commercialized zone that would be like 6 Flags with diving- in comparison. It does have the benefit of having all the infrastructure of Miami... hospitals, communications, restaurants and hokum.

Slow down, go diving, look for the little stuff. The big obvious things will come when they will.

I agree with RoatanMan...chill out and the good stuff will happen. Take the Blue Hole off your bucket list and replace it with other amazing destinations like Banco Chinchorro or Tubbatha Reef. The Blue Hole is highly over-rated.

For a family trip, Belize is a good recommendation and I'd also suggest Grand Cayman. Some great places like Cobalt Coast and Compass Point. You can get condos with kitchens, good dive operations and shore diving. Grand Cayman has lots of fun spots for non-divers.

Actually Dean's Blue Hole is on Long Island and it's marine blue hole (not inland). It is very cool to swim over (over 600 feet deep). Not very interesting diving but overall the diving on Long Island is very good. It's where we did our 1st dive. The island is pretty rural but has wonderful beaches.

There are some famous inland blue holes on many other islands (Andros, Abacos, Eleuthera). Check out Brian Kakuk's Blue Holes of the Bahamas Bahamas Caves Research Foundation. The top pic is of Dean's Blue Hole. I would think that most of those would require cave certification. Otherwise, there's not much to see until you get past all of the different thermoclines. Bimini is suppposed to be a very good place to see wild dolphins.

Because the wind has been whipping off so hard the ocean diving has been called off the last couple of days here on Andros, I have dived blue holes the last two days. I like them, but I have a lot of experience with sink hole diving. On the one I did yesterday, I joined a group of OW divers circling the blue hole. If you want the best experience, stay close to the wall, take your time and examine the rocks carefully, especially the encrustations. I find that interesting, but a lot of people don't. That's essentially what you do--is that on your bucket list?

Today was a bit more interesting. Because I have cave certification, I was able to enter the cave system (Guardian)that comes off of another blue hole. We did the cave and then used up some of our excess air exploring the blue hole at the entrance. There is some really soft silt that you can sink your hand into until you have decided you have had enough or until you reach the end of your arm. That's about it--is that on your bucket list?

Maybe it says something about my own peculiarities, but I really like that sort of diving, but I suspect most people would prefer something else. If you set your sites on that as a goal, you may be disappointed.

If it were me I'd look at Cozumel. Probably as much to see/do topside for the non-divers as the Bahamas and the diving would be a lot better.

You won't be dissatisfied if you go with UNEXSO in GB. Their dolphins are trained but are in the open ocean. That's probably the closest you want to get without a wild dolphin encounter.
Ben's Blue Hole is an inland blue hole & you may need cave cert for that. (UNEXSO goes there & can answer all questions you may have,.)
We liked to stay at Port Lucaya Resort, but I don't know if they're still open. Pelican Bay is next to UNEXSO and is a nice place. There are also other hotels on the beach at Port Lucaya.
In Port Lucaya there's plenty for non-divers to do so no worries there.
Also if you have a shark dive on your bucket list UNEXSO does a great one. the sharks are hand fed within close proximity, tonic immobility is demonstrated & you may get to actually touch a live shark. All very cool.

Hope this helps.

Because the wind has been whipping off so hard the ocean diving has been called off the last couple of days here on Andros, I have dived blue holes the last two days.

Sorry about the weather boulderjohn. I hope it gets better. We had bad weather last year on Andros too. Have you been able to dive the barrier reef yet?

Sorry about the weather boulderjohn. I hope it gets better. We had bad weather last year on Andros too. Have you been able to dive the barrier reef yet?

We have been able to dive the last two days, but it has been decidedly rough getting out. The morning dive included some pretty good bouts of seasickness. Once under water, things are fine--it's just getting to the reef that is the problem.

The non-divers here have it worse. The snorkeling is non-existent in these waves. The kayaks and sailboats have not left the shore. In the place we are staying, we are told that the normal way of things is for coctails and meals to be outside on the patio. We have not seen that once.

Back
Top Bottom