Where to go... where to go... Roatan? Bonaire?

Where to go? Bonaire... Belize... Roatan?? New camera housing

• Belize

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Bonaire

Votes: 13 41.9%
  • Roatan

Votes: 11 35.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great choice! But I'm not biased or anything! :D You'll have lots of great opportunities for photography, especially in the 'Front Yard'. Like Parrothead said, check out the front yard postings (3 parts) on page 4 of the CCV message board. Look about halfway down the page for postings titled "The Front Yard Guide" by Doc.

I'm leaving next weekend for my 6th trip to CCV and in all those visits, I've never seen a mosquito. There are no-see-ums but with bug spray they aren't a problem...just remember to use it often! All-natural Cactus Juice works, so does anything with DEET. My favorite is Cutter's Skintastic. The big problem with anything with high concentratins of DEET, besides the chemical aspect, is you have to wash it off your hands before handling any of your photo or dive gear....it will melt plastic! My strobe has no writing on the battery cap and has my thumbprint melted into the side!

I don't have any trouble donating blood after going to Roatan. Yes, Honduras is on the list for malaria but when I tell them I was on the island of Roatan and never set foot on the mainland (we fly non-stop from Houston) they accept it. The first time after our first trip, I took my airline ticket stub to prove it and they put it in my file. Anyway, if donating blood is one of your 'things', just ask.

I'm far from an expert but if you have CCV questions, just ask. It's my home away from home! :D

Dee:
Great choice! But I'm not biased or anything! :D You'll have lots of great opportunities for photography, especially in the 'Front Yard'. Like Parrothead said, check out the front yard postings (3 parts) on page 4 of the CCV message board. Look about halfway down the page for postings titled "The Front Yard Guide" by Doc.

I'm leaving next weekend for my 6th trip to CCV and in all those visits, I've never seen a mosquito. There are no-see-ums but with bug spray they aren't a problem...just remember to use it often! All-natural Cactus Juice works, so does anything with DEET. My favorite is Cutter's Skintastic. The big problem with anything with high concentratins of DEET, besides the chemical aspect, is you have to wash it off your hands before handling any of your photo or dive gear....it will melt plastic! My strobe has no writing on the battery cap and has my thumbprint melted into the side!

I don't have any trouble donating blood after going to Roatan. Yes, Honduras is on the list for malaria but when I tell them I was on the island of Roatan and never set foot on the mainland (we fly non-stop from Houston) they accept it. The first time after our first trip, I took my airline ticket stub to prove it and they put it in my file. Anyway, if donating blood is one of your 'things', just ask.

I'm far from an expert but if you have CCV questions, just ask. It's my home away from home! :D
I have been to both. To be honest, I prefer Roatan, CCV to be exact. So much to see underwater and a lot to do now topside. I haven't been to CCV since 99, but I have seen their new video, and it rocks !
Bonaire is nice, but Roatan, in my opinion is better. On a scale of 1 to 10, I give Roatan a 10. I would give Bonaire a 9. At CCV, you can dive your brains out conveniently. Isn't that what we want to do ?
Good Viz

You guys are making it more difficult to wait till May to go!!! :)

scubaduba:
You guys are making it more difficult to wait till May to go!!! :)
Isn't that terrible ? It seems so far away. I can't sleep too well just before a trip, The anticipation is overwhelming, but fun too.:multi: Where ever you decide to go you will have fun. We leave Friday AM and my stomach is in knots. Good Viz.

If you don't care about the nightlife.. go here it's off belize.

http://www.glovers.com.bz/

nothing to do there but dive and snorkel, walk on the beach, relax in the hammock, cook fresh fish.

$199 a week for a thatch cabin on the water... nice.

mtiffee:
If you don't care about the nightlife.. go here it's off belize.

http://www.glovers.com.bz/

nothing to do there but dive and snorkel, walk on the beach, relax in the hammock, cook fresh fish.

$199 a week for a thatch cabin on the water... nice.
Looks awesome, My kind of place. My kind of atmosphere. Dive, eat fish, drink beer & do nothing !

Thanx for the link, had to add that to my favorites. Good Viz.

scubaduba:
Hi

Looking for recomendations from all you scubaboard divers on where to go in May. We recently purchased a Tetra Light & Motion housing for our Olympus digital camera and so we're looking for a place to use our camera easily and well.

So we're looking at Bonaire, Belize and Roatan. The beach diving sounds great on Bonaire but I'm quite concerned about our camera being stolen; especially if we don't want to drag our camera on every dive I'm wondering how we would leave the camera safely in a truck.

I've heard great things about Roatan and Belize.

We're relatively new divers and don't care so much about night life on the islands. We're more into relaxation and diving. :)

Thanks for your suggestions.

I was in Belize last week and it was amazing. We stayed on Ambergris Caye so the boat ride to the dive sites was just a few minutes most days. Vis was 80-100+ feet and the reefs were spectacular. Saw 6 large spotted eagle rays flying in formation on my last day; still haven't got the pictures back. Other than diving, it's a great place to stay too. You don't have to worry about crime, and there is always lots of security around the resorts. Great food too.

Congrats on the L&M housing. you're going to love it. Did you get the whole kit with the strobe?

you can see my shots in Bonaire last November with my L&M housing with Olympus 5050 here.

scubaduba:
Hi

Looking for recomendations from all you scubaboard divers on where to go in May. We recently purchased a Tetra Light & Motion housing for our Olympus digital camera and so we're looking for a place to use our camera easily and well.

So we're looking at Bonaire, Belize and Roatan. The beach diving sounds great on Bonaire but I'm quite concerned about our camera being stolen; especially if we don't want to drag our camera on every dive I'm wondering how we would leave the camera safely in a truck.

I've heard great things about Roatan and Belize.

We're relatively new divers and don't care so much about night life on the islands. We're more into relaxation and diving. :)

Thanks for your suggestions.

Yes, we have the whole kit with a pelican case and sea & sea strobe. I don't know how to use it all yet but I'm learning.

You're pictures look nice.

I've been to all three and have to cast my vote for Belize. Shore diving in Bonaire may be a security problem, Roatan has great walls and micro photo ops. Belize has it all except shore dives.

Back
Top Bottom