Where to Honeymoon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gtmurff

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My fiancee and I are both recently certified (summer 08). We got certified for our Australia trip in Sept of '08. Our only real experience is diving the great barrier reef. We're getting married in May and are planning to go on our honeymoon in late August of this year. I'm thinking I'd like to go somewhere in the Caribbean, but I don't know where. Where can we go that is romantic, has a nice accommodations (preferably all inclusive) and has good diving for a couple of beginners with only 10 dives under our belt?

We were impressed with the guides we had at the GBR and would love to have that same level of care.

Thanks in advance.

Charlie

I recently put people in Curacao at the Kuralanda Lodge out in the west end. The diving there is great and easy. You can boat and shore dive from the hotel...so you can dive as much or as little as you want. They are going back for their 1st anniversary it was so great. The hotel is spread out and it is just beautiful. It has a quiet setting and perched on a hill to over look the caribbean. You have beach entry to dive and a dive shop right there with lockers so you can rent gear or store it at the hotel. The resort is beautiful and I was really impressed with it when I was there.
I have lots of suggestions but this is the one I love the most.
You can email me direct if you want to at affordabletrips@gmail.com Diane

Cool, thanks. I've sent you an email for more information about curacuo.

Costa Rica fits the bill. The diving on the Pacific side is amazing.

Of course I think Bonaire is wonderful but alas, we do not have all inclusives and personally I hope we never do. We have super dining options and it's all low key. I concur with the other post about Kura Hulanda Lodge. The manager Delno Tromp is wonderful.

Follow your Bonaire Bliss

Another vote for the Lodge in Westpunt Curacao here. Of course, we live almost next door :wink: And a suggestion.... since you are new divers, chances you are not among the truly addicted and plan for 4 + dives a day. The Kura Hulanda has a great package for honeymooners (and others) 4 days in the Hotel in Willemstad and 4 days at the Lodge in Westpunt. This would be a great way to do the touristy thing for part of your vaca and have 4 dedicated days to dive. Dive the first part and sightsee the second to cover your no dive time. Sunshine

Just a word to the wise. You may want to consider another Pacific trip at that time of year. End of August is the beginning of hurricane season. Bonaire and Curacao are generally out of the hurricane belt but you never know.

If you want to dive, go to Bonaire. If you're looking for "romantic", try Sandals Negril (Jamaica). It's not too big, couples only, all inclusive, and some good diving. As stated above, you are taking a chance with hurricane season by going in the fall. We went the 1st week of November and loved it.

My fiancee and I are both recently certified (summer 08). We got certified for our Australia trip in Sept of '08. Our only real experience is diving the great barrier reef. We're getting married in May and are planning to go on our honeymoon in late August of this year. I'm thinking I'd like to go somewhere in the Caribbean, but I don't know where. Where can we go that is romantic, has a nice accommodations (preferably all inclusive) and has good diving for a couple of beginners with only 10 dives under our belt?

We were impressed with the guides we had at the GBR and would love to have that same level of care.

Thanks in advance.

Charlie

As others have mentioned, August is in "hurricane season" in the Caribbean. Weather can be sunny and clear or overcast, rainy, or downright ugly. There or no guarantees week to week. For that reason, prices are the cheapest during that time so you can get a great deal. But expect some sun, some rain, and very warm weather.
To me, the place you should check out is CoCoView Resort in Roatan. You can get in 5 dives per day if you want, plus it is a small cozy resort, all-inclusive family style meals, and the best dive staff I have seen anywhere (and we do travel alot!).
Welcome to CoCo View Resort
there are lots of photos and videos there
http://www.cocoviewresort.com/video.html
It is a place that people love and return to over and over though and with only 26 rooms it fills up quickly, so if you want to go there, you need to call or send an e-mail to see if they have space available and put down your deposit.

The diving there is awesome, lots of gorgeous healthy reefs and unlimited shore diving. Very little current too so when you find a seahorse or other small critter you can just hang out there and watch it. DMs are excellent at finding stuff, too. I think Roatan is the perfect place for a new diver!

robin:D

Back
Top Bottom