Where to mount the reg with a pony setup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been thinking about the problem of getting a "good buddy" for a while. A good buddy requires good communication and an effort on both parties to stay together. I went out with a buddy (MSDT while I am AOW) a while ago and he said "I'm leading, you stay with me". ie. I am not to wonder off. If I said no then there wouldn't have been any dive that day. As for my regular buddy, on our last dive he wanted to go to 80 fsw, I wanted 100 fsw, so we compromised. We were able to do this because we planned our dive before entering the water. Our greatest separation on that dive was probably 10 feet.

So if your "useless buddy" takes off, take off with them so your emergency air source is close by. That requires you to keep track of where your buddy is, which is something you should be doing anyway. When you return to the surface, tell them to get their head out of their *** and change their approach to being a buddy. If they aren't interested in being a better buddy, then call the next dive. It's in their best interest to have you close by anyway.

So is the issue having a pony for safety or improving communication with an unfamiliar buddy?

Cheers,
Bill.

Spog,

I agree with everyone about getting a reg first, but if you are set on getting a pony bottle, I have use the "Pony Tamer" that consists of a aluminun pin and bracket. The pin part mounts on the pony bottle with hose clamps, and the bracket that the pin goes in mounts on the tank with bigger hose clamps. I dive with a Air II so I mount the pony bottle on the right side of the tank and run the second stage down and have it clipped on at my waste as you would a oct.

Having said all that, I am waiting for my order of parts from Dive Rite to rig it up as a stage bottle. The problem with mounting it on the tank is it is a real pain on dive boats where the tank sits in clamps. You need to remove the tank from the clamps, mount the BC and Pony Tamer to the tank, set everything up, and put the thing on all while the boat is rocking. Having a stage bottle I am hoping I can get all suited up, grap the pony bottle and clip it on my BC, grab my fins and get wet.

I did a search on the web for pony tamer and here is a page that shows the thing I am talking about.

http://www.divoos.com/Equipment/Tank Mounts.html

Good luck, but I would by a BC and reg first, then a nitrox dive computer.,

Boogie711:
To me, I REALLY don't understand the logic.

Cost of one pony bottle - (Approximate)...
Tank and valve = $150
regulator = $225
SPG = $50

Total =$425

Cost of one high quality regulator set (Approximate)...
Reg with octo = $300
SPG = $50

Total - $350.

But, Spog, I think you're hell bent on getting a pony anyway, right? So why did you even bother posting?

Does anyone ever read the content of posts? Or do they just stop at the title and use their imagination on what was written?

I didn't ask for opinions on the merits of pony bottles. This issue has been done to death so many times and I was really trying to avoid resurrecting it. It never went anywhere particularly constructive the past times it was discussed and there's no reason to think that it ever will.

I was asking for help with mounting suggestions - but it looks like 75% of the posters only managed to read the first 2 lines of my post before their blood boiled and they had to post, deriding pony usage or anyone who opposed their view.

Look, I've done the research, I've read all the opinions, anecdotes, experiences, religious raves, etc.

I've made a decision and I was after some practical advice.

Thanks to those to who responded - with some valuable tips. I do boat diving and I hadn't really considered the hassles of the tank racks with tank-mounted bottles. Given that, I think I'll use a stage with the reg bunged to the side of the pony.

(deep, calming breathes) Look, I do appreciate all you guys/gals bothering to share information. I do respect your opinions and acknowledge your superior experience. That's why I ask the question.

But jeez, some of you guys need to relax - your high blood pressure must be playing hell with your SAC. When you get on your soapboxes, I hope you take off your fins first.

I deliberately didn't ask whether I should get a pony - but how I should use it. There are many factors that went into my decision and I'm happy that on balance, it is the right one.
I haven't shared these thoughts as I was not trying to open the debate again. But the main driving factor was that I do not trust a person I have never met before to be next to me during that 90 seconds where my life depends on them being there. I want redundancy. I'm happy that the benefits (for me) outweigh the negatives (for me) here. I'm not going to even try to convince anyone else that my decision is correct - I'm happy that it is right for me.

Now it's not that I don't value/respect the posts of those who recommended against ponys. I see your points and (those who managed to remain civil - which was fewer than I expected) listened to them carefully. I take on board the importance of getting my own set of regs first and I will give that due consideration. I'll ask questions about them in a different thread as this one has the word 'Pony' in the title.

So thanks to those who deserve it. And to others...I think you need to chill out a little. Have you tried diving? - it's much more relaxing than posting on webboard.

spog

Snowbear:
Yep - sure is fun, isn't it? :D
So where did you dive today?

Three more days in the office, then I'm on a boat, under the sun for a day's reef diving! Can't wait.

I was thinking about taking a spare air, buying a 45lb+ wing, using a combination octo/inflator and getting some independant doubles. Any suggestions about the best way to rig these.....?

No brainer, you're right on the money, definitely get a pony bottle. Think about it logically - if your primary system fails - whether it be a $1500 Atomic T1 or a sandy rental regulator - you want a redundant backup system. I would suggest you use a stainless steel tank band (such as those from Highland Mills) to secure the pony, upside down so you can access the valve if necessary, on the right side of your primary tank. You need just one tool to swap the band/pony from one rental tank to the next. The mount is solid and extremely reliable. I would suggest, based on your use of a typical rental system with an octo, that you wear the regulator as part of a necklace made of surgical tubing. Just as you described - if a buddy needs air and you see him/her coming hand over your octo. If a buddy yanks your reg from your mouth you will know you have a working air supply a few inches below your mouth.

The arguments against the pony are without practical merit in my opinion and experience. A good band such as the one I described will keep the bottle close to your primary and should not even extend beyond your BC air cell. If your upside down pony will cause an entanglement you will have long been entangled by your primary tank. The hose routing is not a big deal. Like any piece of gear set it up and figure out the best placement. You may choose to route it around your back under your left arm up to the necklace for example. This is for your to decide once you have the gear. The emergency ascent is an absolute last ditch resort - equip yourself so you can solve problems underwater and not rely on the surface. Later in your dive career the surface will not be an option. The pony is a smart backup for your most important system.

--Matt

spog:
Does anyone ever read the content of posts? Or do they just stop at the title and use their imagination on what was written?

I didn't ask for opinions on the merits of pony bottles. This issue has been done to death so many times and I was really trying to avoid resurrecting it. It never went anywhere particularly constructive the past times it was discussed and there's no reason to think that it ever will.

I was asking for help with mounting suggestions - but it looks like 75% of the posters only managed to read the first 2 lines of my post before their blood boiled and they had to post, deriding pony usage or anyone who opposed their view.

Look, I've done the research, I've read all the opinions, anecdotes, experiences, religious raves, etc.

I've made a decision and I was after some practical advice.

Thanks to those to who responded - with some valuable tips. I do boat diving and I hadn't really considered the hassles of the tank racks with tank-mounted bottles. Given that, I think I'll use a stage with the reg bunged to the side of the pony.

(deep, calming breathes) Look, I do appreciate all you guys/gals bothering to share information. I do respect your opinions and acknowledge your superior experience. That's why I ask the question.

But jeez, some of you guys need to relax - your high blood pressure must be playing hell with your SAC. When you get on your soapboxes, I hope you take off your fins first.

I deliberately didn't ask whether I should get a pony - but how I should use it. There are many factors that went into my decision and I'm happy that on balance, it is the right one.
I haven't shared these thoughts as I was not trying to open the debate again. But the main driving factor was that I do not trust a person I have never met before to be next to me during that 90 seconds where my life depends on them being there. I want redundancy. I'm happy that the benefits (for me) outweigh the negatives (for me) here. I'm not going to even try to convince anyone else that my decision is correct - I'm happy that it is right for me.

Now it's not that I don't value/respect the posts of those who recommended against ponys. I see your points and (those who managed to remain civil - which was fewer than I expected) listened to them carefully. I take on board the importance of getting my own set of regs first and I will give that due consideration. I'll ask questions about them in a different thread as this one has the word 'Pony' in the title.

So thanks to those who deserve it. And to others...I think you need to chill out a little. Have you tried diving? - it's much more relaxing than posting on webboard.

spog

I think you already have an important scuba skill mastered - think for yourself and what works and makes sense to you. In any setting like this, you need to weed out the egos and sheep mentality to take advantage of some good advice from experienced divers.

--Matt

I also think the pony bottle can wait until you get your own set of regulators...just because I feel more comfortable with my own gear.

BUT...if you absolutely must get a pony first I recommend you look into the SOLO cert. This class will teach you how to properly and safely utilize pony bottles for redundant air source.

A couple quick notes...have you considered a spare air for now? Much cheaper, easier to utilize, and sufficient for rec diving.

Also, try out a slung pony, done properly it is hard to tell it is even there. It is also a great way to provide air to someone in need, after handing them the reg from the pony, simply detach it from your bc and clip it off on theirs.

FWIW, I dive with a pony, but only on dives 100 feet or more or practice, I DO think a pony is a must have in certain diving situations.

Good luck with whatever you decide...Live long and dive safe!

For some reason, some of the people here have a problem with pony bottles.

That said, you should have your own stuff anyway (regulators at a minimum). The rentals are a real crap-shoot. Sometimes they're brand new or recently serviced, and sometimes they were brand new around the same time that radios used tubes.

TigerGear makes a very nice bracket that doesn't require adding anything to your primary tank (it attaches to a bracket that goes on the primary's mounting strap). The only problem is that it's impossible to remove your pony if you want to hand it to someone, since it's retained with a hitch pin clip that you can't reach while wearing your BC.

In any event, it's your life, and if having an extra 29Cu Ft of air makes you happy, it's nobody else's business. I know I've never seen anybody come up out of the water and say "Damn, I had too much air with me!'

Terry

Terry

spog:

I've been pretty happy with the

spog

spog:
I was thinking about taking a spare air, buying a 45lb+ wing, using a combination octo/inflator and getting some independant doubles. Any suggestions about the best way to rig these.....?

don't forget your split fins and rock boots.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom