Where to open a dive resort?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pez de Diablo

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
If you could open a dive resort anywhere in the world, where would it be?

I am thinking Mexico, on the Yucatan. But maybe there are already to many resorts there.

West coast of Canada, has great diving but it's cold water.

Red sea, to much political turmoil.

Greece, cold winters lead to a poor dive season.

My wife told me I could start looking for a resort, we have both had it with long cold winters and our jobs have become too routine. A couple of features we would prefer are this: Warm weather, english or spanish language, good diving.

Looking for other ideas!

I do love Maui. There isn't a true dive resort here although the Maui Dive shops thinks they will put one in. Land is a zillion dollars an acre but, I'm dreaming right?

I went to Maya Ha resort in costa maya mexico. A bit further aprrox 5 miles south or so they had a closed resort. I can't remember what the name was but looked real nice. The DM told us that the owner ended up in jail because the resort/dive op was helping to run drugs into mexico. When they were caught the resort was closed/seized. Appearantly the drugs would be droped off at or near chinchoro banks by smugglers from belize then the mexican dive op would pick then up when makeing the dive trip out to the banks. The DM for Maya Ha thought that it was much better than Maya Ha and was actualy a newer/bigger/better construction. They had three pools and lots of suites and a better kitchen/dinning area and a nice wide open beach front.

Interested in why you would suggest this scubaroo since there are already three dive shops on the island, several diver boats and quite a number of facilities for accommodations, food, etc.

Besides, most of the land in the Avalon or Two Harbors area is owned by the Santa Catalina Island Company and I can't imagine them selling it.

I'd love to see us offer more facilities for divers. I hope to start an evening education program (Kelp Kollege?) to let divers (and non-divers) know what is going on in our kelp forests.

Dr. Bill

drbill once bubbled...
Interested in why you would suggest this scubaroo since there are already three dive shops on the island, several diver boats and quite a number of facilities for accommodations, food, etc.
Only been past it on a boat. I knew there were shore diving facilities, but didn't think there was dedicated resorts.

I also thought there were dive boats from the mainland that service the area too.

Hey, keep the ideas coming in. If this works, 25% discount to anyone who mentions Scubaboard during our 1st year of operations!=-)

Geek Diver,

Thanks for the info.

I wonder if my wife would mind if I took my truck and trailer to Mexico for a couple of months to scout out locations?

How about the South Pacific....?

I spent two weeks in Bora and Moorea and thought the place was absolutley magical-one of the most beautiful spots in the world! The Tahitian people were incredible as well. Plenty of Hotels but no dedicated dive resorts as far as I know...?

Hi Pez

What about south Vancouver Island? Close to Victoria for people flying in (west jet etc) would make easy access for people not wishing to rent a vehicle. I know they've got a few dive shops but no real resorts that I know of. Sort of along the lines of Abyssal, Hornby, God's Pocket etc. I would go for sure!!!!!

BTW when do you want to go diving?

mark

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom