Where to open a dive resort?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You guys are thinking WAY outside of the envelope! I'm really happy for you, Dennis!

Here's an idea:
Turks and Caicos Islands. There are a number of resorts there, but not a dedicated "Dive Resort". My understanding is that the preferred way to dive Turks is to stay somewhere near Provodenciales, and then dive with Fifi of Caicos Adventures. Apparently he does packages with various resorts, but it's still a "Van pick up at all the resorts, ride to the boat, cruise to the dive site, dive 2 tanks, call it a day" proposition. There's an all-inclusive place on the island - Sandals I believe - but from what I hear, there's a reason that Fifi is the preferred diving provider.

Some positive attributes from the top of my head: Everyone speaks English, good annual weather, they have a major airport in Provo (no island hopping with little planes), and the diving is supposed to be spectacular!

I wish you the BEST of luck! :D

The Philippines would be great. Apparently Palawan Island has lots of unexplored inlets and reefs. You can buy land for cheap there too. Of course, they still have that little problem with Abu Saiyaff...

GearHead once bubbled...
You guys are thinking WAY outside of the envelope! I'm really happy for you, Dennis! <snip>

Rick, I'm not there yet!
I Checked out Caicos Adventures and was surprised at the cost for diving. There may just be room for a dive resort in the Turks and Caicos. This area is worth investigation, Thanks for the tip.

Bridgediver once bubbled...

I know they've got a few dive shops but no real resorts that I know of. Sort of along the lines of Abyssal, Hornby, God's Pocket etc. I would go for sure!!!!!

BTW when do you want to go diving?

Mark,

I love the diving on Vancouver Island, but I really want to get away from cold winters. The resorts you mentioned are pretty much on their own, something in Victoria or up Island would be competing with the hotel/dive shop guys. Sorry I need something warmer anyway.

The vis is bad in the lakes right now, would you be interested in a caving trip? On June 8th (sunday) I am taking some "cave" divers on a dry beginner caving trip near canmore to show them a sump. A sump is what *real* cave divers do.

Drewpy once bubbled...
How about the South Pacific....?
<snip>
I like the idea about Tahiti. Isn't French and Tahitian the big languages there? I will check into the availability of supplies and I will get some info from their commerce group as well as inquire about foreigners opening up business.

My R&D budget is coming out of my asset budget, so the more I travel the less I can afford. Tahiti is expensive to get to for me.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Pez de Diablo once bubbled...

Rick, I'm not there yet!
I Checked out Caicos Adventures and was surprised at the cost for diving. There may just be room for a dive resort in the Turks and Caicos. This area is worth investigation, Thanks for the tip.

Hey, if it works out, I think I know some annual customers you can count on. :wink:

Yes Tahiti is FRENCH and EXPENSIVE!
All I can say is that place is awesome!....... but then you have to deal with all the french beurocratic BS and unless you are a french citizen I would imagine it is pretty darn tough to get residency etc.
They reqiured a return ticket to enter the islands, and entered it in their computer system-they didnt want anyone overstaying the 4 week max. Inflation and unemployment are probably high as well....It seemed like a good idea when I first posted ,but after more thought there are probably more affordable and realistic places closer to the US
Good luck and let us know what you come up with... we will all show up for your Grand Opening!

Drewpy once bubbled...
<snip>It seemed like a good idea when I first posted ,but after more thought there are probably more affordable and realistic places closer to the US<snip>

Thanks for the suggestion anyway, I have put in a request for info with the French Consulate in Toronto. I'll see what they say about hopes. Though this is low on my list.

Right now I am thinking about the Yucatan. Love those Cenotes or the Baja.

Edit to add:

Just got a note back telling me to go through their Calgary office to get a contact for Tahiti. I think someone in Toronto is lazy!

I'd love to "check-out" with you guys. Nurseshark is employable anywhere in the world with her degree and I have a background in sales/retail/wholesale/manufacturing/service. Might be a nice combination of skills for a few ex-pat Canadians. We could open a small microbrewery as well...talk about the ultimate combination dive resort huh!

Im with BWERB!
Ive got a degree in Hotel Mgmnt and am a trained Chef!
Need someone to run the food svc...?
I lived in Puerto Rico as a kid and long to return to the tropics for good!!LOL ....Im sure staff and partners will not be a problem!

I forgot to mention-Im a home brewer as well ( one of my dreams is to open a Brewpub)Ill be the misfit from Calif. but Im sure I can fit a few eehs into my vocabulary...?LOL!

Well, I think all good operations need to have a bar for apre' dive. We'll have a selection of Micro brewery beers to choose from.

I think I need to structure the parent company so I can sell shares to all the partners I didn't know would be interested!:D

Back
Top Bottom