Where to put a stage bottle?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dave22387

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hello Ladies and Gents,

Here is the question. Where do you guys and gals carry a stage when you also have 2 deco bottles. I generally don't carry bottles on the right side due to my canister light which comes with me on almost all dives unless absolutely no light would be required (40 ft. reef with the wife etc.) Also, I find it a pain with my long hose and definitely feel the drag increase from diving one on both sides.

I am used to carrying 1 or 2 deco bottles (80&40 generally) both on the left and I am comfortable with it. Please don't try to tell me why I should carry one on either side because I don't agree and won't change :wink:. That being said if there is a way to carry my deco bottles on the left and a stage on the right without busting up my canister and without impeding the long hose during an OOA assist or S-Drill then I am all ears. Do you guys put it on a leash or some other way? Let me know.

Lastly, please only provide input if you have ACTUAL experience doing what you're telling me. Thank you in advance!

this video explains the "Standard" way. Basically put them on a leash and "load" the bottle you need. Unfortunately it's somewhat annoying to carry them like this if you have to kick a lot. I do have a loop bungee on the left to keep the valve side somewhat contained and "sidemount" the bottle that's loaded. The back ones are on a leash, but again they don't carry all that well when completely full. It's one thing on a scooter, but if you are kicking around you've got to experiment with what works for you

The back ones are on a leash, but again they don't carry all that well when completely full.
No kidding.

That is the primary reason I prefer to avoid this, usually by staging, but sometimes it becomes necessary. I would like to hear what others do when needing to leash full bottles.

No kidding.

That is the primary reason I prefer to avoid this, usually by staging, but sometimes it becomes necessary. I would like to hear what others do when needing to leash full bottles.

underfill or suck it up buttercup.... Can also stick some helium in there, but that is obviously less than ideal financially

On the left below the 50% tank. O2 AL40 on a leash on the left hip. Nothing on the right. Works particularly well if the o2 tank cannot be filled much past 2000 psi as it is close to neutral.

After switching to 50%, do a bottle rotation between the now empty, slightly positive stage on the bottom and the o2 on the leash during a deco stop between 70 and 30 feet.

I assume you are asking about BM. In sidemount most people let a lot of real estate on their back go to waste

No kidding.

The leash needs to be long enough so the leash drapes over your leg/butt and the bottle sits kinda sorta between your legs.

Like dis ^

Shorter leashes are fine with high helium gases and/ or empty tanks.

But for only two tanks I generally wear them both clipped to the left chest.

Tbh I've never used a leash and I was a little hesitant... It seems it's the way to go just takes a little tweaking to get it right. I don't have a scooter so I was thinking having a cylinder in between my legs while kicking would be a PITA but it seems I gotta get in the pool and work it out... Thanks for the great info guys

I do have a loop bungee on the left to keep the valve side somewhat contained

Can you expand on this please?

I screwed up that quote... Can you expand on the loop bungee for the valve @tbone1004 ?

Back
Top Bottom