Where to stay and dive in Phuket

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marciadive

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm planning a trip to Phuket for 5 days in March with my adult daughter and her friend. I'm an experienced certified diver, my daughter a novice and her friend a non-diver. In doing lots of research, I'm confused about where would be the best place for us to stay. I plan to dive 3 days. We don't want to stay in a busy area but I want to be on a beautiful beach, close to a good dive shop or stay at a resort with one.
Can anyone tell me what they recommend as far as location, hotel, dive company and dives?
Appreciate your feedback

There are many different beaches on the island. The most crowded area is Patong, so i would avoid there is you want quiet. Kata and Karon are still busy, but Kata especially is not as much of a party area, has a nice beach and restaurants.
Quieter again is Kata Noi, this has a nice beach, out of the main tourist route as it is around the headland and not on a busy connecting road.
Naiharn is in the south of the island and has good restaurants and beach, but be aware not all dive operators include transfers from this area. It is not too far from the daytrip pier though easily reachable by a short taxi ride.
There are quieter beaches in the north of the island at Surin and Bang tao, but you will find yourself more isolated and transfers will be extra for trips.
There are many dive companies around the island, who can arrange the diving and snorkeling for you at sites which are suitable for everyone. You dont necessarily need to be next to one at your hotel as you can prebook before you arrive All of the companies have weekly schedules for the boats that are easily found on the websites. Look at trip advisor and get an idea of the company you would like to dive with, look at the number of people on the boats and service offered, then you can book by email.
Try contacting several dive centers and see what response you get. if you would rather meet face to face then you can narrow down the choice this way before you arrive.
Dives that would be suitable are the Racha Islands, Phi Phi, Shark Point, anemone reef Koh doc mai, these can all be dived with an open water license. More advanced dives like the King Cruiser you should have advanced and some experience.

I think Kata Noi sounds like what you are looking for. It's not as busy as Kata or Karon, it has a small-village feel to it, and the beach is spectacular. All the dive ops will pick up from Kata Noi. As for dive resorts, we don't have them, so what people do is find a place to stay that meets their needs for ambiance/budget and from there any dive op will pick up. This is really nice in some ways since each operator has a set weekly schedule, and since you can count on a pickup from any op, you're not tied to the schedule of wherever the in-house op might be going on any particular day. We can usually organize your dive outings to the places you want to go on the days you want to go. There are lots of very good ops here, and IMO the selection of which I would recommend depends a great deal on exactly which days you want to dive and what dive sites you'd like to visit.

Back
Top Bottom