Where to stay for "best" dives in Riviera Maya

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dogbowl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Looking for an all-inclusive resort between Cancun and Tulum. Family will be coming along, so we will not be heading over to Coz. Those of you who are familiar with ocean diving in the area - where along the coast is the best bet for the best diving? Closer to Cancun, Playa or Tulum? We've done the cenotes before and may add a day of diving them, but we're mainly interested in a few days of ocean diving from the mainland. Therefore, I want to find a resort that's close to the best/better ocean diving there. Thanks!

I would suggest the Catalonia, in Puerto Aventuras, and diving with Dive Aventuras. From what I understand, they can put packages together for you at that resort (after staying at the Catalonia a couple of times, we now stay exclusively in one of the condo areas around the marina, so can't comment on their packages, however).

You might also search the threads here for some specifics on PA, and if you need any more information, please feel free to PM me.

We are members at both Hard Rock and Palace resorts. The Moon Palace is just south of Cancun. Fabulous resort but had to drive to the north side of the city for the diving that was just ok. Not the best situation and next time I will look for an op that leaves from the south. Hard Rock is south of Playa del Carmen and very close to Dive Aventuras. Very very good diving with the best operation I have ever used, highly recommend them. I was pleasantly surprised with the resort. We had stayed many times while it was a Palace and loved it. Once during the transition to Hard Rock and were very disappointed with the changes. We were there again last fall and the certainly got their act together. Possibly one of the best times ever.
I think you will be happy with almost any resort. Pick one closer to the things you want to do.

Looking for something close to Tulum in Feb also. I snorkeled the dos ojos cenote a few years ago and had a blast. With out cave diving cert, can you dive in any of the cenotes? I plan on doing ocean dives, but I'm just curious.

Looking for something close to Tulum in Feb also. I snorkeled the dos ojos cenote a few years ago and had a blast. With out cave diving cert, can you dive in any of the cenotes? I plan on doing ocean dives, but I'm just curious.

You do not need to have a cave certification to take a guided cenote tour. That said, I would make sure I use a highly respected guide (many threads on here with recommendations, but I will stay with my recommended dive op, Dive Aventuras, where several of the cave guides are also cave instructors).

@Ryguydiver you can dive most cenotes without cave diving certification as there are openings near by.

@Dogbowl - when are you travelling? After November you are in season for bull sharks near playa. We love Tulum just never enjoyed diving there. You might want to look near Cancun if you are into AI as you can head easily to Isla Mujeres as well.

I am heading out to the area soon, and I will be staying in Isla Mujeres, and doing a few dives, as well as a whale shark outing, before heading to Cozumel for a few days.
The diving is likely not as good as Cozumel, but the operator I am using touts several sites: MUSA (the underwater museum near Cancun), Punta Sur, several wreck dives (C58 and C55), Manchones, La Bandera.

@Ryguydiver you can dive most cenotes without cave diving certification as there are openings near by.

@Dogbowl - when are you travelling? After November you are in season for bull sharks near playa. We love Tulum just never enjoyed diving there. You might want to look near Cancun if you are into AI as you can head easily to Isla Mujeres as well.
Awesome, good to know. Dos ojos was magical and seeing the divers enter the caves as i was snorkeling is what got me to get certified.

You do not need to have a cave certification to take a guided cenote tour. That said, I would make sure I use a highly respected guide (many threads on here with recommendations, but I will stay with my recommended dive op, Dive Aventuras, where several of the cave guides are also cave instructors).
I will definitely check them out, ty.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom