Where to stay for "best" dives in Riviera Maya

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Although I only have limited diving experience along Riviera Maya mainland (north Playa, night dive in Playa, cenotes, Puerto Morelos), I really enjoyed Puerto Morelos. They have a protected national marine park and many AI beach resorts. I also dove about 20 miles south of PM (considered Playa) and wasn't impressed. Although the reef runs all along the coast, the Playa area we were in (Oct./Nov. 2016) was lacking in color, sea life, visibility, and diversity. Puerto Morelos (Mar./April 2010) was the opposite and also had a few wrecks. Although I can't say if they are good or bad (I've only dove cenotes near xel ha), there are also cenotes close to PM.

OP here...

We ended up choosing The Royal Playa del Carmen. My scuba diving wants were pushed aside in favour of luxury, food, location and price. Oh well...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom