Where to stay in Phuket in Nov

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SharkEsq

Cthulhu Hunter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So I'm thinking of coming back to Phuket for 3 days of diving in mid to late november. I don't think I've got the time to do a live-aboard like I did the first time I went, but instead was thinking I'd just do a few 3-tank day trips on the east coast. So a few questions:

1) I've seen some folks say that Nov isn't a great time for that side of the island - is that true? Am I making a big mistake of diving over there instead of trying to squeeze in a Similans liveaboard? Or will conditions still be pretty good there.

2) Assuming it's a reasonable idea, is staying very close to Chalong pier a bad idea? Last time I did this (day trips from Chalong pier), I stayed in Rawai beach. I didn't use much of what Rawai had to offer (dinner and a couple of foot massages), since I'm pretty much there just for diving. Staying close to the pier would seem like a plus since I could wake up a little later (and avoid having to "car pool" with other folks in the back of a big truck). But I don't know if that area is a decent place to stay. Ideally, something quiet, clean and walk-able to the pier and near some good seafood.

1) I've seen some folks say that Nov isn't a great time for that side of the island - is that true? Am I making a big mistake of diving over there instead of trying to squeeze in a Similans liveaboard? Or will conditions still be pretty good there.

It's been a little while since I have dived out of Phuket but I would have thought the West Coast (Phuket) is coming into the good season. The Similan LOB's (just leaving a couple hours north of Phuket) would start cranking up in November. If I had a choice of 3 days in the Similians or 3 days diving out of Chalong Pier it would be the Similians, no contest.

) Assuming it's a reasonable idea, is staying very close to Chalong pier a bad idea?

Pier 42. A stones throw from the pier, literally. Mid priced, great service. It's only 3 days, plenty of food options on the street.

@SteveL will be able to give more local and up to date advice

The challenge with the live-aboards is that most of them leave in the evening, and the only decent flight options I've got land in Phuket at 7:30pm, so I end up wasting a day if I want to do a live-aboard. Though maybe there are some live-aboards that leave in the morning, or that leave the pier late enough that I could get there in time from the airport. SteveL - do you know if that's an option?

With a landing at 19.30, after that immigration, you will be too late for the boats leaving that evening. But there are some options for boats leaving in the morning. So it would be an option to stay in the vicinity of the airport and do a liveaboard trip departing the next morning. These trips are 3 days/2 nights.

Otherwise, November is a good month, but IMO every month is good here compared to other areas in Thailand :). The season officially runs from November through April though, so also in that respect you're good in November.

There are quite a few guesthouses in the Chalong area, especially on the road leading up to the pier, and most of them are a lot cheaper and IMO better value than Pier42, who I find to be overpriced (rackrate of 2,970 Baht for November). That area is a bit seedy though with nearly exclusively girly bars, massage parors and divecenters. It would hardly save you any time though compared to staying in e.g. Rawai or especially Kata (Rawai is more unpredictable due to traffic at Chalong circle). Kata pickup is in general 07.45-08.00, meeting time at Chalong pier is normally 08.00 hours. 08.15 would be acceptable as well, but that would also save you nearly no time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom