Where to stay in Roatan? Quiet, no night life

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

carolsarinah

Reaction score
# of dives
I will be in Honduras for a week and plan to go diving. Looking for someplace quiet, clean, comfortable, small, good food with 4 dives a day and nitrox. No night life. Just diving and sleeping. Also someplace good for woman on her own. Ideas? There are so many places that I can not decide. Please, no swimming with dolphins! :confused:

I will be in Honduras for a week and plan to go diving. Looking for someplace quiet, clean, comfortable, small, good food with 4 dives a day and nitrox. No night life. Just diving and sleeping. Also someplace good for woman on her own. Ideas? There are so many places that I can not decide. Please, no swimming with dolphins! :confused:

Welcome to CoCo View Resort
it is perfect for you!!!! The only problem is that, because it is small and has a huge return customer base, you need to make reservations ahead of time or get lucky with a cancellation. There are several groups going this spring/sunner timeframe that may have a spot for you though. What dates?

robin:D

The REEF HOUSE on Roatan is exactly what you are looking for. The place is on a quiet island by itself. Unlike CCV, they offer you 3 real boat dives per day. I'm sure you could get additional drop off dives if you like but the house reef is easily accessible whenever you like to supplment the boat diving. The food is good, the people are very friendly, and the diving is terrific. Many of their dive sites are exclusive and only visited by their guests. The fact that it's less expensive that CCV doesn't hurt either. I've lived on Roatan and worked there at Paya Bay. I've stayed at several resorts on the Island and visited many others. Reef House is where I personally return and it is perfect for what you describe. I'll be there is about a week.

Reef House is in Oak Ridge which is one of the most scenic authentic villages you'll find anywhere in the Caribbean. The village is extremely poor with only a few stores and services intended to serve the local needs. You can get a guided trip through the mangroves right from the dock at Reef House.

Another vote for CoCo View here. I have not been to Reef House and can't comment on it, but I could not have been more pleased with our trip to CoCo View and it sounds like exactly what you're looking for.

It's located outside of the tourist part of the island and is set up for all the diving you can stand. They have 2 or 3 boat dives per day - 1 tank at a remote dive site and a second optional tank on the way back to the resort (they drop you off and you swim home). The diving right in front of the resort is excellent - there's a decent sized shipwreck, some interesting reef structure and tons of critters. For example, two of my favorite things - a colony of garden eels and a school of squid - were hanging out near our safety stop area the whole week we were there. It was a really nice way to finish the dives I did at this site and I really enjoyed getting to dive it several times and really get to know it.

It couldn't be easier to get as many dives in as you wish - nitrox tanks are filled and ready to go anytime - you just grab one and hop in the water. The vibe there was extremely friendly as well - I'm sure you'd have no problem hooking up with some people to dive with.

The place itself is nothing fancy, but it's clean and, to me at least, was pretty charming. The whole place has a well cared for mom-and-pop feel to it.

The food was not exactly gourmet, but it really hit the spot after a day of diving and there was certainly plenty of it. It sort of reminded my of my mom's cooking from the 70s.

Anyway, I have been on diving in a fair number of places (Belize, Bonaire, Cabo, California, Cozumel, Fiji... I'm probably forgetting something), and CCV rates near the top of my list.

Another vote for Reef House Resort. I have not been to CoCo View but I believe the Reef House would be perfect for you. The only thing is that they don't have Nitrox.

I vote for Fantasy Island. It's a very quiet family place so a woman on her own will be comfortable. If you want NO nightlife, FI is the place for you! I think the dive op there is great.

From my experience at CoCoView

Quiet ... yes
Clean ... yes
Comfortable ... yes
Small ... yes
4 dives/day ... yes
Nitrox ... yes

Some place for a woman on her own ... yes; you have to take a short boat ride across the lagoon. I felt very safe & we never locked our accommodations.

No Nightlife ... if you call an evening barbeque the last night of your stay night life, that's about the peak of it

Just diving and sleeping ... eat, sleep and dive

No Swimming ... only shore diving
No Dolphins ... none

I'll add:

Friendly staff/dive op ... most definitely!

Check out ClearwaterParadise

It's on the island next door, Guanaja.
No shopping
No traffic
No bars
Very quiet with Pristine diving!

They provide meals, dives and accomodations at a reasonable price.

If you book, tell Ginger I said "Hi!"

Back
Top Bottom