Where to train as a divemaster?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all your input.

I'm aware that it takes a lot of experience to reach an adequate level worthy of divemaster status. I do not wish to become a DM just to show off. The only reason I intend to do my DMs over a couple of months is because it will be in the summer holidays as I am still studying at university. I plan to work as a DM after i finish my degree, but not in England!

Why do I want to become a divemaster? Many of my relatives are keen divers / divemasters so I was exposed to it at a young age. I became qualified as an Open Water Diver at age 14 and it has been my passion ever since. In fact, im hoping to combine diving with biology (what I am currently studying) and make a career out of it.

Although I've just come from Utila and Roatan, I don't want to do my DMs there. I dived with Scuba Junkies in Borneo and liked them a lot. I've also heard good things about the island Mabul but i havent been there.

Has anyone undertaken their DMs in Eygpt?

What certification level are you at right now?

No offense, but the DM course is not just something you rush in & do in a month. In most cases it takes several months, if not YEARS to become a proper DM, including internship.

Please bear that in mind.

I'm currently a rescue diver.

Thanks for all your input.Although I've just come from Utila and Roatan, I don't want to do my DMs there.
Would you mind telling us why not?

Has anyone undertaken their DMs in Egypt?
No, I did my DM training in Spain but if you are thinking of Egypt I highly recommend Dive Point Red Sea - Scuba Diving Hurghada. Talk to Matthias Breit.

G'day Celineoc,

I want to wish you all the best with your DM training. I love working within the diving industry i am sure that you will find it very rewarding. Even if it is for part time work as a release from your 9-5 office grind, it is the best thing in the world!

If you are keen to come downunder and do your training with a great bunch of Aussies, we run diving internships that are based in Sydney, Australia. A lot of our internships include 2 weeks diving out on the Great Barrier Reef with Mike Ball Dive Expeditions. Check out: PADI Diving Internships| Divemaster Internship - Sydney Australia

We actually have a few english candidates currently doing their training with us at the moment, and loving it. The candidates stay at Cronulla Beach, which is a iconic australian beach suburb... hehehehe just like "Home'and'Away".

Anyways, if you want any moire inforamtion just pop me a PM. Cheers and good luck with your training mate!

I won't go into the 'pros and cons' of whether or not to do it, as there are many other threads that deal with those issues, good threads at that.

I did my DM Course this last June of '09 spanning about 5 weeks in Puerto Galera, Philippines. Many dive operations there, but I was most satisfied with Frontier divers. Small operation with great service. Many students and customers came by during my 5 weeks giving me lot's of experience in both assisting and observing.

Do give yourself some time though, doing it in less that 5 weeks would be very rushed IMHO!

Your profile says England. Is there a reason why you dont wish to do your training in England?

Maybe I'm not in on the joke, but this seems like a legitimate question to me. If the objective is to be qualified to handle any diving conditions, why wouldn't you train in a less than ideal environment? This isn't to say that there aren't very good instructors at the tropical resorts -- there are excellent instructors everywhere -- it's more about the DM's comfort level in cold, low-viz environments. If you're comfortable in that, you'll have no problem in warm water, but the converse isn't necessarily true.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned in this thread is your choice of agencies. I'm not going to presume that you want to be a PADI DM, but be aware that different resorts are affiliated with different agencies -- some of which are less well known. Make sure you do your research before choosing your instructor. It would suck to go through all that work to become a DM only to find that you can't get a job. While it's usually possible to transfer to another agency, you might as well start with the one you want from the get go.

One final tidbit: you don't need to go to a special "diving school" to become a DM. Any instructor can sign you off on it (at least for PADI...can't comment on SSI or NAUI). If there's a local instructor that you respect, you may want to talk to them first.

One final tidbit: you don't need to go to a special "diving school" to become a DM. Any instructor can sign you off on it (at least for PADI...can't comment on SSI or NAUI). If there's a local instructor that you respect, you may want to talk to them first.
Thank God, somebody said it! Celine, the best training you will get is by finding a mentor (as Joolz says "an instructor that you respect"). I strongly advise you against going to a "divemaster factory" at this stage unless you just want the C-Card. Definitely think about where this is taking you. Are you going to work as a DM in the UK or do you have other languages and you want to work in a resort envionment? Train where you want to work because that's the easiest way to get a job: somewhere they know you and you fit in.

There are some good shops in the UK and if you will be diving in UK waters will be best to be trained there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom