Where to train as a divemaster?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

celineoc

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi everyone.

I have just returned from diving in Belize and Honduras. I joined Scubaboard in hopes to get some advice on undertaking a divemasters course next july / august. Where would you recommend to go and with which dive school? I have dived in Sabah, Borneo before and loved it but I am unsure if it is a suitable place to train as a divemaster.

I would really appreciate some first hand accounts of your experiences! thanks.

Hi celineoc

Your profile says England. Is there a reason why you dont wish to do your training in England?

The Divemaster trainees at Scuba Junkies, Borneo, seemed to have a great time...and did world-class dives every day. However, Borneo does suffer from a lack of nightlife...so if this may be a consideration for you.

Koh Tao, in Thailand, has a very strong dive market, and several large IDC centers that offer good DMT programmes. Whilst it is still a chill-out, diver's island...there is a cool 'bare-foot' nightlife. Check out Crystal Dive, Bans, Big Blue, Davy Jone's Locker, Master Divers, Asia Divers etc.....

If you want really commercialized areas - with all the modern conveniences and fast foods etc, then you could consider one of the IDC centers in Pattaya (Mermaids and Aquanauts)

I did mine in Singapore.

It sucked.

15 hour travelling time to Malaysia every damn weekend sucks the life outta you.

Hi everyone.

I have just returned from diving in Belize and Honduras. I joined Scubaboard in hopes to get some advice on undertaking a divemasters course next july / august. Where would you recommend to go and with which dive school? I have dived in Sabah, Borneo before and loved it but I am unsure if it is a suitable place to train as a divemaster.

What certification level are you at right now?

No offense, but the DM course is not just something you rush in & do in a month. In most cases it takes several months, if not YEARS to become a proper DM, including internship.

Please bear that in mind.

What certification level are you at right now?

No offense, but the DM course is not just something you rush in & do in a month. In most cases it takes several months, if not YEARS to become a proper DM, including internship.

Please bear that in mind.

Without trying to start another "The state of training sucks" thread, this is an amazingly relevant point.

If you just want the card to show off on boats and amaze your friends, faster is better. If you want to actually be qualified for the job, you could easily spend a year training just to get to the "pretty good" skill-level.

Terry

Hi everyone.

look at Roatan or Utila, Honduras. They both seem to have some good programs and are relatively inexpensive. I am sure others here can chime in, but I did meet someone doing it at Cocoview Resort on Roatan and they loved it.
Roatan Divemaster Internship at Dockside Dive Center, Western Caribbean

robin:D

My first question is why do you want to be a dive master? If it is not because you want to help teach and be part of the process of bringing new divers up to speed, then it's the wrong course for you.

IF that's your answer, then where are you going to be able to do that? It's a pretty big achievement to manage to get a resort in some vacation destination to allow you to be a dive master for them on your 2 week vacation. And even if you can do that, is working a second job really the vacation you want?

For most people, they are able to function as dive masters and instructors where they live. If you are not planning on moving to some tropical locale, then you are planning on being a divemaster where you are now.

Part of being a good divemaster is being intimately familiar with the conditions where you are actually diving. It does the students you are helping no favors if you get into the water and find that the conditions are foreign to you.

Train in conditions similar to those in which you expect to work.

Hi buddy,

I did my Divemaster training in Utila in 1991. I think it's still a great place to become a professional diver and as there are a lot of Diving Schools in Utila, you get as well a lot of practice.

Best regards, David Reumer

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom