Where to wear a dive computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Same.

It makes sense as soon as you start scootering.

All the best, James

And when you are adjusting your buoyancy with a BC hose routed over your left shoulder and otherwise using your left hand/arm.

I feel its a matter of personal choice where one wears their personal dive computer. Having it close to the eyes is a good idea in my opinion.

For informational purposes, I can tell you something negative about using a console. If you ever have the chance, or inclination, to dive black water, the computer is probably best worn on the arm or chest.

When laying on the bottom of black water (or the sea floor for that matter), the computer console will find its way underneath you. While crabbing about the bottom, you will inadvertently grind the face of the gauges into the sand. You will also find that your console will fill up with sand. In other words, in some console designs, there is a space behind the pressure guage and computer that will fill with sand. Its bad enough to have sand floating about while your diving, but carrying it around with you is even worse.

Not the computer (inside forearm, close to the wrist like a lot of others), but I wear my SK7 on my hand most of the time when diving dry OW. Easier with dry-gloves and easy to align with the side/bottom window.

I have two..my back up Suunto Mosquito on my right wrist, and my Vyper Air on my left inner arm angled to I can see it well...I am still tweaking my style a bit and have recently tried my Vyper on my right wrist...much better, except when I am grabbing lobsters with my right hand in the holes and scratching the crap out of my DC face..:cussing::cussing::cussing:.good thing they come with face shields...:D

For me I hold my reel in my left hand and wind up with my right hand. So the obvious place would be inside my left forearm so that as I hold my my reel up during ascent, my suit is venting and my face is starring at my DC so am am watching my ascent and stop depths while venting my Drysuit at the same time. Never been a problem in over 2,000 dives. Comfy and practical.

Hope this helps.

Good question and interesting discussion. I wear mine like a wristwatch, not quite on the outside of the arm, not quite on the inside, somewhere in between. I've seen people wearing it higher up their forearms and it makes sense to me but mine always comes loose and slips towards my hand during the dive.

I used to wear it on my left wrist, it just felt right. Then I realised that it interfered with me trying to purge from my power inflator hose so I moved it to my right wrist. Lately I've started trying to ascend in horizontal trim which meant I could purge from my right kidney valve and again, I've moved the computer to the left wrist.

I wear my computer on my left forearm more towards the inside. I wear my compass on my right forearm more towards the top.

I position my computer so I can see it will I'm ascending with the hand on the BC inflator/deflator.

I like this position for my computer in compass so that I can grab my wrists, keeping my forearms perpendicular to my body and navigate. I can see both direction and depth.

when I lobster dive in a pocket or god forbid on a retractor :no: if I am lobstering my arms need to be clear. I often find myself armpit deep in to holes. other wise it is above my left wrist.

Back
Top Bottom