Where was the instructor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mnj1233

Contributor
Reaction score
Teacher grateful to be alive after nearly drowning
Cabello Elementary instructor sinks to ocean floor during scuba diving lesson

By Grace Rauh, STAFF WRITER

The last thing Kimberly Pratt said she saw was the sun shining through the blue ocean as she swam toward the surface. Then, she swallowed another gulp of salt water and lost consciousness, falling toward the sea floor.

A scuba diving instructor found her facedown on the sandy bottom of Monterey Bay, some 15 to 30 feet below the morning air, Pratt said. By her own account, she should have been dead.

But on Monday, one day after her near-drowning, Pratt laughed heartily about her brush with death from her hospital bed in Monterey. The vivacious fifth-grade teacher at Union City's Cabello Elementary School said she was thankful to be alive. She planned to return to her Hayward home today.

"I should have died," she said, sand still in her hair. "I should have died."

Pratt was working toward herscuba diving certificate and had been in the cold water about 10 minutes when she removed her mouthpiece to inflate her buoyancy vest manually. It was a routine exercise, but when she tried to reattach the device connected to her air tank, it caught on something. She motioned to her dive instructor that she was swimming toward the surface for air. She never panicked.

When she didn't surface with the rest of her group, a dive instructor from Diver Dan's, the scuba diving shop in Santa Clara that ran the lesson, went in after her, she said. She was pulled to the surface and then to the beach, where someone performed CPR on her until paramedics from the Monterey Fire Department arrived.

Pratt said she was told she was pale and had no pulse when she was pulled from the water. She came to in the ambulance on the way to Community Hospital of the Monterey Peninsula.

"We don't know how long I was unconscious," she said. A CT scan at the hospital showed that her brain was not damaged from the oxygen loss. "You wouldn't believe this hospital

As is so often the case, the report doesn't make much sense.
Manual BC inflation is normal. Doing it in a place where something (the primary hose?) would be "caught on something" is odd -- should be holding the reg in one hand, inflator hose in the other.
If the primary somehow "goes away", there's the octo.
Instructor is normally right there, their own octo ready, for drills that have a student removing their reg on an underwater skill. I can't see them doing a wave-off, having a student doing, essentially, a CESA, when they know the student had been expelling the air from their lungs to inflate the BC. At least where I got trained, the CESA is something the instructors are VERY careful about, to make sure people don't bolt, and having someone whose BC was just being manually inflated doing one really sounds weird.
Ahh, well, good to hear that the student is okay.

Very glad she is okay. Instructor was not available when needed. No getting around it.

mnj1233:
Pratt was working toward her scuba diving certificate and had been in the cold water about 10 minutes when she removed her mouthpiece to inflate her buoyancy vest manually.

So who teaches manual BC inflation while underwater in a BOW class? Did someone give her a BC without a power-inflator?

The last guy I saw do that was diving a horse-collar because he liked antique equipment.

It was a routine exercise, but when she tried to reattach the device connected to her air tank, it caught on something.

The power inflator hose? Where was her reg and alternate while this was happening?

When she didn't surface with the rest of her group, a dive instructor from Diver Dan's, the scuba diving shop in Santa Clara that ran the lesson, went in after her, she said.

So where was he?

AFAIK, if there's a student in the water, the instructor is required to be present (with the student, in the water).

There's a lot of weird stuff here.

Terry

Manual inflate is done during PADI OW, I believe. We did both surface and underwater during the pool sessions, don't recall if we did underwater on the cert dives.
Personally, I've gotten used to doing manual inflate as my standard approach, when surfacing. Just a quirk.

Web Monkey:
So who teaches manual BC inflation while underwater in a BOW class? Did someone give her a BC without a power-inflator?

The last guy I saw do that was diving a horse-collar because he liked antique equipment.

The power inflator hose? Where was her reg and alternate while this was happening?

So where was he?

AFAIK, if there's a student in the water, the instructor is required to be present (with the student, in the water).

There's a lot of weird stuff here.

Terry

Agree Agree Agree.
But after a little more thinking I feel I must also ask if the instuctor specifically briefed the students to kneel and "Wait" to perform the skill until the student had full attention from the instructor. Just food for thought but I dont want to blanketly blame the instructor w/o justification. That said its worth reading and thinking about.

Wow, nothing like jumping to conclusions based on one side of the story. We discussed this on the yahoo ba_diving message board, and people who were there have a completely different story. And rumor has it that the Instructor/DM to student ratio for that group was nearly 1:1. Everybody surfaced together, and when they came up she was no longer on the surface.

dannobee:
Wow, nothing like jumping to conclusions based on one side of the story. We discussed this on the yahoo ba_diving message board, and people who were there have a completely different story. And rumor has it that the Instructor/DM to student ratio for that group was nearly 1:1. Everybody surfaced together, and when they came up she was no longer on the surface.

Only going by "Her Account" did you read it? Why if she was one on one with an instructor why would they be suprised she didnt surface.??? Im askin??? You stated "everybody surfaced together" apparently someone cant count cause one was on the bottom.

mnj1233:
Agree Agree Agree.
But after a little more thinking I feel I must also ask if the instuctor specifically briefed the students to kneel and "Wait" to perform the skill until the student had full attention from the instructor. Just food for thought but I dont want to blanketly blame the instructor w/o justification. That said its worth reading and thinking about.

By the way did you read this first post before accusing me of jumping to conclusions?

Web Monkey:

PADI does, not sure about other agencies.

From open water dive #3:
"7. Achieve and maintain neutral buoyancy underwater by inflating the BCD orally."

As said above, the instructor should be within reach/have contact and ready to share air during this skill (and any skill that requires the reg to be removed from the mouth).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom