Where was your first OW dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My first OW dive was on the White's Beach in Manchester Mass, but the really interesting part is that it did not include and instructor. That was in '66 and the complete "Course in Self Contained Breathing Apparatus" consisted of reading the "New Science of Skin & Scuba Diving" and 4 one hour pool sessions at New England Divers when they were still on Water St.

Natasha:
In a few weeks I'm taking my teens back to the site I did my very first OW dive.
Mine was in Cozumel @ the plane.

I'm sure it will a great dive for them too.

So, where was yours? Have you ever brought anyone back to it, to share your memory?

My first open water dive was at Electric Beach in Oahu, Hawaii. It was a surf entry and completely miserable, I will not take anyone there...My second was the Sea Tiger in Oahu I will go back there...

My first OW dive (first of my five open water dives needed for qualification) was supposed to be the wreck of 'Cayman trader' near Maiden Cay (near Port Royal). Just to dive around it, no penetration, anyway we couldn't find it and ended up diving in the vicinity. Great vis, gin clear water, there was some lovely coral, sponges and I saw a Eagle spotted Ray and juvenile Nurse Shark. :wink:
Still have fond memories of it, of course Hurricane Ivan worked it's magic on it and it's no more I believe. 47 ft for 33 minutes..
Here's a map of the area in case you guys don't know where I'm talking about...

The blue hole in Belize was my first "sea dive" after the OW course (in lakes near Montreal)!
At 130 feet, we looked up towards the surface and a dozen of reef sharks were over us...this was an unforgettable dive! The two other dives of the day were also amazing: the "aquarium" near half moon caye and the "channel". Belize was beautiful! I hope I'll like Utila as much...I'm leaving in three weeks!

Barracuda Reef, Fort Lauderdale.

the Oro Verde, Grand Cayman

(talk about being spoiled)

My first experiance was on Santa Cruise Island in the Channel Island group off Ventura California. I was on the Scuba Lover.
Bill

Lake Champlain off Plattsburgh, NY. Cold, dark, and uncomfortable but somehow I enjoyed my dives. Course I was in my early twenties then. I have no desire to dive that lake again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom