Which agency publishes the best manuals?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not IANTD, while reading my intro CCR book, I debated selling the unit and giving up diving instead of finishing the book.

Most of the padi books are well written, the newer TDI books have been good as well.

Not IANTD, while reading my intro CCR book, I debated selling the unit and giving up diving instead of finishing the book.

Most of the padi books are well written, the newer TDI books have been good as well.
Mmmm I think we call that perceptual narrowing.....

I can confirm it is NOT any of IANTD manuals.

One of the best basic manuals is not published by any agency. Dennis Graver's Scuba Diving is going into it's 5th edition. I use the 4th for Open Water classes. It's also appropriate for further training as a foundation for some specialties and advanced level training.
I wrote the new SDI Drysuit course materials and those have been very well received. Just got a compliment on it passed along on them by Brian Carney that he was given on them when he was in China last week.
The SDI/TDI Sidemount materials are good as well. I didn't write them. Did edit and contribute to them though. As Andy said though SM is really about the instructor. The manuals are foundations that the instructor needs to build on. One big reason is that unless you have access to most models, tanks, and environments it will be used in, it is going to be pretty much specialized. Though the instructor should be familiar with most and not set on one specific rig as a do all.
The ERDI Full Face course was redone and that is another one I was fortunate enough to be asked to help with.
As long as ITI continues to use me I will do my best to make sure the content is good, well written, treats divers as intelligent adults, and doesn't talk down to people.
Based on recent conversations I've had it's looks I'll be doing more work for them, possibly another book or course, once my own second book is published. That should be around November 1st.

once my own second book is published. That should be around November 1st.

What is the new book about and is it your own or is it for a training agency?

My own. Not for an agency. A Practical Guide to Advanced Level Training. What you should know before signing up for advanced (aka AOW) training and what to look for in an advanced class.

When I read Jesper Berglund's Beginning with the End in Mind, which I suppose can be called GUE's Rec 1 and Fundies manual, I was astonished at how well-written it is, how it covers exactly the important material for that level, while leaving out the irrelevant. I still go back and reread parts of it from time to time. I'd rather keep that and throw out every other agency-written/course manual I have, than vice versa. I don't know if it's the best book on diving I own (Steve Lewis's books spring to mind, for example), but it's my favorite manual for a course.

I do like UTD's and 5th Dimension's youtube videos. Very helpful for learning particular procedures in a variety of areas.

I found that while the GUE materials are extremely thorough, they need updating. For precise execution of every skill though, the GUE Standard Operating Procedures manual is updated as needed and gives you step-by-step procedures for every major skill. I found that extremely helpful.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom