Which area is DIN valve popular at?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Note that this is not suitable for a 300b valve, but those are rather rare.
Again, that depends on your location. I see quite a few 10L and some 12L 300 bar singles around here¹, and D7x300 isn't uncommon either. Now, since 300 bar is a bit of a PITA for PP blending due to compressibility effects, it's mostly used by those who either dive air or have access to a continuous blending system.

¹ I use 10x300 tanks myself, and in a drysuit there are advantages to that. The smaller outer tank volume means less lead, and when I went from an old 15x200 to my current 10x300s, I could take some 3-5kg off my belt.

Wops, I wasn't clear. I meant a 300b valve on a 200b tank. Yoke regs shouldn't be used against a 300b pressure anyway.

Russia - all tanks is DIN. In case of customers Yoke regulator we just use Ввёртыш :) ("In-screwer") - that one:
best-divers-din---yoke-adaptor-6-mm.jpg

Egypt - most tanks, that I saw is DIN, but half of regulators is Yoke, used adaptor as above.
Turkey - same.
Yes, for usage of that adaptor you have to have only DIN 200 valve.

DIN300 unsupportable and you have to use that one:
adaptateur-din-etrier.jpg

Most universal way - when you have DIN regulator and such adaptor:
cc6909e6067f77bcd48b1b42141cb84b..jpg

Just one disadvantage: quite heavy

A good way to figure this out is to see what kind of tanks the country uses. For example, look at the rental prices and see what they have. At least I would think so. If they are high pressure (>3000 psi) then DIN will be common.

In Bonaire, almost all Yoke.
In Caymans and Bahamas, almost all yoke as well.

Last edited:
Wops, I wasn't clear. I meant a 300b valve on a 200b tank.
Ah, I see. I doubt that would be legal up here, so probably pretty rare, yeah. AFAIK, the yoke inserts are machined to fit 200/232 bar valves, but not 300 bar valves, so it'd be pretty difficult to get a yoke reg to seal.

At least here, it's physically impossible to fit a 300 bar whip to a 200/232 bar tank valve, or to seal a 200/232 bar rated reg against a 300 bar tank valve. The stub which protrudes from the center of the whip valve is longer and thinner on a 300 bar than on a 200/232 bar so the whip valve can't bottom out and seal. And the thread on a 300 bar rated reg or tank valve is longer, so a 233/232 bar rated reg won't reach the bottom and seal. My reg set is rated for 300 bar, and if I fit it on a 200 bar or 232 bar tank (which I've done on several occasions), about two turns of the thread is showing.

Use a converter. It’s not a big issue.

It can be. Not every DIN valve can be used with yoke with an insert. If it is not a convertible valve with the dimple on the back you will not get a secure connection with a yoke.

With the convertible DIN/yoke valves these days you shouldn't have any trouble diving elsewhere. I have both DIN and yoke valves and regs but when I travel I carry my DIN reg with a yoke adapter

Going to be diving in the Red Sea, and have discussed the issue of yoke/DIN with my dive ops. 200 bar DIN appears to be the standard in Egypt, but they all have the inserts for yokes. Of course, I am going to carry along a couple of spare DIN inserts just in case.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom